Upwards, Lonely Robot Is A Cryptic Platformer

Can robots feel lonely? Do we even have the technology yet? And even if we did, why would we want our robots to feel loneliness? Wouldn’t that be cruel? Will Upwards, Lonely Robot [official site] tackle these questions when it comes out on March 10th? I don’t know, actually, because there is not much information on this puzzle platformer aside from its cryptic trailer and the announcement that it does have a story of sorts.

Details are scarce, so, let’s see what we can make of this trailer:

Seems like the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world where humans lost control of their machines, and barricaded themselves inside some towers, while leaving a wildlife of robots roaming about. Turns out, it wasn’t a sustainable plan in the long run, and I’m guessing the trees they planted on top of the towers weren’t enough for food, so here they are, trying to fix the problem.

To unravel the mystery, you’ll have to clamber up these towers, with the usual array of special platforms and enemies, as well as a countdown timer breathing down your neck. In fact, the developers assure the game will be quite the challenge, and it will feature an infinite mode with a leaderboard to allow players to compete against all the other lonely robots. (Isn’t that a nice description of the internet?)

It’s great to hear about the inclusion of split-screen multiplayer alongside the usual online – competition is always more fun when you can physically incapacitate your opponent.

Upwards, Lonely Robot will be released for Windows only, via Steam and GOG.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Was just recently wondering why we have not seen any Nebulous-likes.

• caff says:

That first screenshot reminded me of something, glad you (and jingies) named it, however not a classic from my memory, just a brutally unforgiving game.

• jingies says:

Took me a minute and few google misfires to remember what is was called. I seem to remember it being really hard, but I was young and foolish.

• Llewyn says:

Faith in RPS commentariat: Restored.

I just saw the screenshot on the front page and wondered if any of the comments would mention Nebulus, and sure enough the first two did.

That said, caff, “not a classic”? It was probably my favourite C64 platformer, and only had a few unforgiving jumps. It was certainly, for the time, one of the most beautiful.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I liked Nebulous, but it was brutal. Possibly the best thing about the game was the high-score table. The default entries were all “JMP”, which are also my initials.

2. jingies says:

Looks like a remake of nebulus. Which as I remember is no bad thing.

3. zxcasdqwecat says:

Is that the Pisa tower with a tree on top of it?

4. MrAltF4 says:

Hey there, I’m the Producer over at Kasedo Games, just wanted to say thanks for posting this article RPS :)
    Also thanks guys for the interest, there will be more to show near release, but to be fair this is definitely a game that you need to feel to understand the beauty, but of course I would say that ;)

DuncUK says:

That sounds like a good argument for releasing a demo. Will there be one?