Dark Platforming Souls: Salt & Sanctuary Shows Co-Op

You can tell Ska Studios’ Salt and Sanctuary [official site] is a bit Dark Souls-y, because it’s got that Souls UI. Just as a gurning mug on an FPS’s UI in the ’90s let players know they were in for something a wee bit Wolfenstein-y, those red and green bars and that style of font say this is a grim game with plenty of mystery, parrying, and dying. And it is. Salt & Sanctuary may have missed plans to launch last year but here, look at this new trailer’s bit of co-op Soulsing.

Here are Michelle and James of Ska Studios (you might remember them from Charlie Murder, The Dishwasher, and other Xbox Live Arcade games – or Survival Crisis Z on PC way back) with a little rehearsed action:

Yep, lighting fires, gravestones, reclaiming souls after death… that’s made by folks who played Souls games all right. They’ve taken the ideas to 2D platforming, and it looks like a good’un. Ska explain more of how multiplayer works in a a PlayStation Blog post, including how co-op players will be thrown into PvP if one of them uses a certain item (‘crushes an Egg of Wrath’, in its terms). Do check out this old vid for more on the nitty-gritty too.

Salt and Sanctuary will launch before the end of March, with Ska saying they’ll announce a date next week. That’ll probably be for the PlayStation 4 version, mind, as the PC version is due a little later following a “short” period of exclusivity.

Ska had been working on a PC port of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile too, but Salt became their priority. “While Salt is in cert, there is a good chance we’ll be diving back into Vampire Smile,” they say in their FAQ. “If these two games do well on PC, we can look at other older games.”

1. pillot says:

It’s about time! I seen a 30 mins playthrough of this like a year ago and was hyped instantly.

• Jamezila says:

That’s awesome, thanks so much! (this is James)

• shaydeeadi says:

James your games have been top notch for years! I’ve been following your work since Dishwasher and I’m super hype for this!

2. Nixitur says:

Well, I do like difficult platformers, so that sounds right up my alley. Looks a bit like Abyss Odyssey, except less fighting game-y.

3. fiah says:

this looks perfect for some couch-coop with the missus

4. zeep says:

I don’t get it. This game isn’t out yet but they sell an inventory warp glitch?

• Jamezila says:

Dev here. Not a glitch per se. When one player brings up his or her inventory, the camera shifts to track the other player, who now is no longer location constrained to the first player. When the first player dismisses his or her inventory, the least disruptive way to resolve the camera is to just bring the first player to the second player.

It seemed like a clumsy workaround at first, but really grew on us, evidently to a point where we saw fit to make it one of like 5 multiplayer bullet points.

Fun fact: we originally had split screen local multiplayer.

5. malkav11 says:

Survival Crisis Z? Sure, I suppose, but what about Zombie Smashers X2? That was the best.

• Jamezila says:

You guys… :P

Phasma Felis says:

I love all the Ska games, but it does make me sad that the old Zombie Smashers titles aren’t officially available anymore. :(

6. Wowbagger says:

Still hyped for this, checked out some dev streams and they are very cool people.

7. mechabuddha says:

Oh. My. Glob. This looks like the coolest thing ever. Instabuy for me!