Shenmue 3 Screens Offer Glimpse Of What’s To Come

For many a Shenmue fanatic, the fact that Shenmue 3 [official site] is still actually happening is enough to overwhelm. By the time the third series entry lands next December, 16 years will have passed since the conclusion of the last, thus it’s had an inordinate amount of time to stew in the cauldron of cult status. Can it live up to the hype? Who knows, but the latest screens showcased at the Monaco Anime Game International Conferences (MAGIC) at the weekend suggest it might be on the right track. Let’s check them out together after the drop.

If you played Shenmue at the turn of the millennium, and its sequel in 2001, how’re you feeling about number three so many years on? I missed the boat (or forklift truck, should I say?) the first time round, however watching on from the sidelines has been an interesting experience so far. Raising $6,333,295 on Kickstarter – a total which is now currently sat at $6,564,903 via the game’s Slacker Backer campaign – coupled with a pretty ridiculous amount of expectation from its fan base means much rests on the shoulders of developers Ys Net.

Heading a presentation at this weekend’s MAGIC, game director Yu Suzuki showed off these scenes from Shenmue 3’s opening area Bailu Village:

Unfortunately the screens are pretty low-resolution. PlayStation tweeted higher-res versions of most, but they’re still pretty small.

Suzuki also showcased some early footage during the presentation, as put together by Shenmue Dojo:

Shenmue 3 is expected to release in December 2017.

1. Ophioparma says:

I see.

2. islipaway says:

So much love for the game that popularized QTEs!

Was Shenmue actually a decent game? I thought the buzz around it at the time was mostly due to the fact it was so good looking and you could do so many things. This is pretty bland looking and doing lots of things has been done to death at this point.

Why should I be excited! Help!

Don Reba says:

There was a cat you could feed. It was glorious!

• ajgrob says:

It was a little bland and kind of hard, but it was one of the first games that gave you a real world to play in and it did look amazing.

The sequel was actually much better and was an amazing game. Probably more of what they had hoped the first game would be like.

• Jalan says:

Reading this, I think this is genuinely the first time I’ve ever seen someone refer to Shenmue as hard. Never found it to be as such personally, but it’s interesting to know that some did.

Aerothorn says:

islipaway – if you are interested, email me at aerothorn at gmail dawt com, and I will send you a PDF of my book which dedicates an entire chapter to answering this question (and can be read stand-alone, no need to trawl through the whole thing)

3. DanMan says:

Please don’t suck, mkay?

• Jalan says:

It could underperform/fail to live up to the hype but I’m honestly curious if that would matter to the numerous people who have been waiting over a decade to have an actual conclusion to the game’s story.