RRAAAA! Street Fighter V Adding Rage Quit Punishment

When Street Fighter V [official site] came out a fortnight ago, it was a wee bit barebones. While some absent features are things we knew would come later, like the proper story mode, others were more surprising – like key rebinding, and punishment for rage quitting. Players being able to disconnect from matches they’re losing without ruining their ranking or win streak is… that’s a pretty big oversight, and no fun for their opponents. Capcom now say they have a solution coming, and punishments too.

Capcom addressed rage quitting in a statement issued on Friday night.

“Yes, we are well aware of the problem of players disconnecting before the match ends to retain their League Points and their win streaks. Thanks to all of the players who have brought this to our attention.

“We are working on a permanent solution to this problem, though we don’t have an exact date to share with you at the moment. That said, we are going to take direct action starting next week to punish those players who are abusing the system.”

They asked folks to save video evidence when they encountered rage quitters, in any way from archiving Twitch streams to the PS4’s built-in sharing. What Capcom plan to do with these blaggards is unclear right now, but they’re planning to talk more about it this week and say “this punishment will be severe for the worst offenders.”

The statement also mentions that while Ranked and Casual matchmaking “is working as intended for most users”, some folks in “Europe, the Middle East and various other regions” are still facing long waits. They made a few tweaks last week, and are keeping an eye on things.

We’re almost into March, which means we should soon start seeing the first of the characters and features on Capcom’s post-release roadmap. Remember, the idea is that they’ll update this single version of SFV for yonks rather than releasing new editions. I think maybe they cut too much and were a little too hasty in a rush to get a playable version out. It’s a shame, because SFV’s core action is pretty great.

1. Boozebeard says:

Wow that’s pretty unfathomable over-sight…

2. minijedimaster says:

Steam user reviews currently sitting at 44% recommended because of all the core features this game is missing at launch. In what reality is it OK to launch a game (that’s not early access) so feature incomplete? Esp at full AAA price?

• Ringwraith says:

It needed a label saying it was a competitive preview or such.
      I understand why they put the game out early, otherwise it’d have to go back a whole year and disrupt all of their competitive circuit planning which seems silly when the actual local game works pretty much perfectly.
      What isn’t excusable is not making that clear to everyone. You’d only know it was lacking some of these things if you were following their news very closely very recently up to release.

• montorsi says:

I’m not sure why they didn’t use the Early Access system on Steam. That’s what this is, and it’s fine for what’s here.

I think everyone can understand they didn’t want to have another USF4 Capcom Cup and wanted SFV at Evo, but casual buyers probably haven’t been following the betas and usually are not going to know to look for that information.

• Ringwraith says:

Because they don’t have to, and who wants to be the first big-name to release something on Early Access?
          Also, probably some Japanese company culture issues, if not many.

• welverin says:

Playstation 4.

3. thekelvingreen says:

How do they tell the difference between ragequitting and “oh no, my Virgin Broadband has gone wonky again”?

• Ringwraith says:

You can’t, but it should be infrequent enough it wouldn’t affected by an automated system.
      In two of the say, four online matches I’ve played, my internet dropped, and it was when I was winning, or the match had barely started, so clearly not me doing it in a huff.
      Even still, just counting it as a loss would be fine. The trouble is the game has to work out who disconnected from whom (as it’s peer-to-peer being a two-player game).

Wisq says:

Not sure if this is compatible with their chosen ranking system, but, they could just call it a loss for both players.

Sure, it’s unfair to the people who end up playing with quitters, but the hope would be that if it’s not exploitable (no way to escape without “punishment”) then the actual occurences should decrease to an acceptable level.

• Ringwraith says:

Counting it as a loss for both players would be exploitable.
          I’m sure there are many frequent ragequitters who would gladly take the other person down as well. Why would they care? After all, they’re clearly angry at *something*.

• montorsi says:

I imagine it’s pretty easy to determine when someone’s ragequitting to retain their win streak. Your streak number appears over your health bar so it’s likely something they can find in the database. I suspect they will also look to see whose internet has gone conveniently “wonky” when they are at risk of de-ranking or close to ranking up.

I could be wrong but I figure all three of those parameters will allow them to narrow it down and sort those players out.

• wisnoskij says:

This. Awsomenauts often ranked me two ranks below my skill level because of the massive number of games I needed to quit when Internet went too bad. Which really only punished the other players, as it is far more entertaining to pwn noobs than it is to be matched against someone far better and more experienced than yourself.

• ButteringSundays says:

“it is far more entertaining to pwn noobs than it is to be matched against someone far better and more experienced than yourself.”

Assuming of course that you have low self-esteem and care not for a sense of achievement.

• cakeisalie says:

Welcome to online gaming…

• Ringwraith says:

It’s a common mindset, one I really don’t agree with and cannot personally wrap my head around, but I know it exists.
          It’s why lowest-ranking Counter-Strike accounts sell for more than top-ranking ones.

• Chillicothe says:

RQ has a 26 game win streak and still mashes shoryus

• QSpec says:

Exactly this.

You can almost perfectly call a rage quitter well before they actually quit.

Every time: “this person is terrible… how in the fuck are they on a 12 game win streak?”

4. iainl says:

Slightly put off getting the game by talk of punishment. I’m happy to get my game recorded as a loss if the internet drops (and lets face it, every other comment about SFV has been about network problems, so I’m not sure whether that would even be my provider’s fault), but talk of bans and stuff seems a bit rum.

Still, since I’m not touching it until the game is feature-complete, they’ve got plenty of time to iron all this nonsense out.