Superhot’s Virtual Reality Plans “Oh So Much Fun”

Superhot [official site] is the uber-stylish, time-manipulating first-person shooter that you might’ve spotted Adam praising recently. It’s out now but developers Superhot Team aren’t slowing down, having revealed future plans that include free content updates and the small matter of virtual reality support.

As we now know, by the time the virtual reality hype train finally arrives in our living rooms, bedrooms and garden sheds, it’ll cost a bloody fortune. At the moment, there are only a few games that have made me stop and think: yeah, you know what? This might actually be worth all the fuss and, crucially, the outlay. Superhot is for me one of these games.

The thought of getting up close and personal with Matrix-style bullet-time set pieces, smashing my enemies’ limbs into a thousand pieces, and using motion controls to incapacitate ne’er do wells with ranged pistol whips in slow-mo excites me. Which is why Superhot Team’s latest Kickstarter backer update mentioning “secretive work on a bunch of grand VR plans” also excites me.

“We have more in store for you,” they say. “Expect content updates in the future. And since you’re all such wonderful people, we’ll keep those content updates free of charge… We can’t tell you too much, but Superhot in VR is going to be fun, oooh so much fun… :)”

Smiley face, indeed.

1. dontnormally says:

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

• Beefenstein says:

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

I’ve been telling my students this (and showing my killstagrams), let’s see if any of them play it.

• Marblecake says:

It’s the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years.

Really.

No, really!

• Banks says:

I hated this, so cheesy and pretentious. I liked the game but the story was just awful and It killed the mood for me.

And no, It’s not the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years. So Superhot team please, stop spamming shitty dialogue and faux avant garde narrative on my face and put those resources into making a richer game.

2. gpown says:

Just give me bloody cloud save support, will ya?

3. Bull0 says:

I’ve played both this and Devil Daggers a lot in the last week and I much prefer Devil Daggers. Superhot is neat enough but I wouldn’t say it was completely satisfying. Devil Daggers I find myself compulsively jumping into whenever I’ve got a spare five minutes.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Will it be compatible with Tree Dude?

5. povu says:

I’d rather have a level editor. People would go nuts with that.

6. dirtrobot says:

Super fun, but does it cost me time to turn my head?!

• Beefenstein says:

You unlock a challenge mode where staying still and aiming costs no time.

In the normal mode I feel quite sure, after 8 hours of play, that staying still and aiming cost the same minimal amount of time… I think.

7. Elusiv3Pastry says:

Now this is a game where I think the Vive would have a clear advantage over the Rift with its larger motion tracking capability. Actually moving your whole body around in SH would be waaaaaaay more fun than sitting on your ass.

• Cinek says:

Minus the fact that all levels but cell are far bigger than the area you can use Vive on, making it rather pointless…

8. Josh W says:

I sort of love the idea; the flow of movement probably has the right dynamics for VR play, putting movement in jumps so you don’t get as travel sick, but I’m not sure I could handle SUPER HOT 3cm from my face.

9. OmNomNom says:

It’s good fun, and refreshing but it also is completely gimmick based. Don’t expect many hours of excitement out of this, or replayability.
    Still if you want a quick blast, I can recommend.

• obowersa says:

I felt that way about the story, but the challenges… Oh god the challenges. I think my partner might eta me if she hears SUPER…HOT again.

Something about the game really resonates for me. The fact it’s more of a puzzler than a first person shooter combined with the feeling of sheer ‘cool’ as you watch back a replay and see the bullet dodging insanity in real time.

10. thelastpointer says:

I wish the best of luck for the SUPERHOT team, and I hope they keep in mind that aiming with your head is an incredibly annoying idea (and is probably the current creative nemesis of VR games).

11. The Paranoid Andriod says:

I hope the “content updates” include more campain.