Gears Of War: Ultimate Edition Out Now For Windows 10

Calling all Coalition of Ordered Governmentalists: Gears of War has returned to PC. Gears Of War: Ultimate Edition [official site] is out now for Windows 10 via the Windows Store, remastering the virgin voyage of Marcus Fenix and friends. The seminal third-person shooter has been rebuilt in full 2016-o-vision, and comes to PC even fancier than the Xbox One version. You’ve never seen such high-definition waist-high concrete blocks to hunker behind.

The Ultimate Edition came out on Xbox One in August, but the PC port boasts unlocked frame rates for both single and multiplayer campaigns, support for 2160p resolutions and DirectX 12, and all that. The Coalition, the studio who have taken over the series created by Epic Games, say they’re also working on implementing DirectX 12’s Multiadapter feature, which lets a PC push pixels faster through multiple video cards like SLI or CrossFire – but without needing matching cards.

As for the game itself, the Ultimate Edition includes five new campaign missions absent from the original 360 version – now ten years old, can you believe? – all of the original 360 DLC multiplayer maps, and new multiplayer modes.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is out now for Windows 10 and costs £22.79/$29.99 on the Windows Store.

Here’s a look at one of the new chapters running on PC:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. oceanclub says:

Has time been kind to GoW? The time I did play it, the joke about it being a “wall-hugging simulator” did stick. (I hate golf and yet, when over in a friend’s who’d gotten a (then) new XBox 360, we had more fun messing around in a golf game than GoW multi-player).

P.

Awesomeclaw says:

The Giant Bomb review of the XBox One version was not particularly positive:

link to giantbomb.com

Aerothorn says:

Ha! I guess I was just ahead of my time – I listened to Gamespot/Jeff’s review at its release, when they gave it Game of the Year and all that, and found it stupendously boring.

2. ramirezfm says:

So Windows Store is the new Games for Windows Live?

phuzz says:

It depends how many times you have to update it before you’re allowed to run a game I guess. If it’s less than three times and it doesn’t delete your saves then it’s doing better than GFWL.

• subedii says:

The W10 store seems to have come complete with its own set of daft issues to get things going in fine tradition.

Quite a few of them actually, largely stemming from the “we must control EVERYTHING mindset” that MS seems to be more and more stuck in as time goes by.

link to howtogeek.com

• yogibbear says:

Yes. The difference being when this service goes down, instead of getting a patched version of Dark Souls from the devs with GFWL removed and your saved games intact, your games will effectively cease to exist.

Windows Store is something that screams out as if it doesn’t even understand its audience.

3. Evil Pancakes says:

Ah, I remember Gears of War quite fondly. I played all 3 games and quite enjoyed them, but the first is definitely the best one. The entire game has this tense, pseudo horror atmosphere (is what I remember feeling back when I was a wee lad). There was this awesome scene where you had to run away from a house because this massive behemoth of a monster (I think it was called a Brumak) was coming closer and you could see it in the distance. No way to fight it, just run for your life. In later games you got to ride one, which is cool, I guess. And then in the last one you got to kill one with your measly peashooter guns. All of a sudden this massive monster from which you could only flee in the first game, could be killed by your puny little assault rifles. Kind of killed the game for me, to be honest.

4. Dr_Barnowl says:

I’ll refer m’learned friends to this article about why you shouldn’t buy games from Windows Store :

link to extremetech.com

• slerbal says:

Doesn’t even include the unsubtle attempt by Microsoft to strangle PC gaming and ram Xbox crap down our throats. I for one will not be buying any games for my PC in the Windows Store.

• Jalan says:

Look forward to Microsoft flipping their stance on PC gaming all over again when sales of games like this fail to meet their expectations, all while they blatantly ignore the fact that any lack of purchases are likely to stem from the fact that more people than they realize don’t want to put up with their storefront.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep they will certainly avoid any mention of their crappy store and win10 exclusivity being the culprit and blame it all on us being pirates who don’t really like video games.

• Dr_Barnowl says:

Given that I only use Windows 10 for playing games, I’d really quite like a cut-down version or “XBox OS” for my PC.

5. Det. Bullock says:

So, they really want to force feed people windows 10, huh?
    Why don’t they just put in a real start menu with folders made by the installation programs instead of a list of icons in alphabetical order you have to arrange yourself to give it a semblance of order.
    Sigh, the more “intuitive” they make it the more complicated it gets.

• sweenish says:

What you describe in your ideal Start menu exists already in Windows 10.

They never took it away, not even in Windows 8. The installer added folders and shortcuts, that is.

• Don Reba says:

I am more bothered with the Win10 Start menu only showing the 6 most recently used programs. Even when there is room for 15. During the beta test they actually had a great new and improved menu, then replaced it with a crippled version that gradually got improved to a semi-usable state, in which it remains today.

6. Spuzzell says:

It looks rather old fashioned and clunky.

I mean, even more so than it did at the time.

Now it’s old old fashioned. And clunky.

And it wasn’t even good when it was just old fashioned and clunky.

I think I know if I want to buy this or not, but I’m not telling to maintain my air of mystery.

• Distec says:

Was GoW really old fashioned when it came out, though?

The trapping of its settings and characters, perhaps. But I was under the impression that Gears is largely responsible for popularizing chest-high-walled-cover-shooting that you see in almost everything these days.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Those chest high walls that conveniently littered every single room were precisely why I thought this game was garbage tbh. It never felt fun or good 10 years ago compared to manually finding cover and it still doesn’t. Just a mechanic born out of consolisation and dumbing down of shooting games.

• Distec says:

I liked the first Gears well enough, even though the entire thing felt very one-trick. But even though I think cover shooting is a natural fit for some games, I’m largely irritated by it and would take full freedom of movement any day.

I just don’t think it was at all “dated” at the time. If anything, it was a harbinger of change. And change is bullshit.

• Ragnar says:

Conversely, I love cover-based shooters on console. The cover works great for alleviating the frustration of aiming using a controller.

In a standard FPS, I’m constantly reminded of how annoying aiming with a controller is, and how much better it would be with a mouse. I have up playing BioShock on Xbox because shooting down any flying thing was such a pain in the ass. But cover based shooters give you breathing room, let you coarsely line up the shot behind cover, then fine tune it when you aim over the wall. Playing with a controller becomes less frustrating and more fun.

I think ME3 multi made particularly good use of it where you can hide behind a wall at the expense of maneuverability, or just position yourself behind cover manually. The first is great for people just learning, the second is far more useful for advanced players.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

I agree regarding ME3 Co-op, though you do need to use formal cover throughout as well as informal/Right-hand-advantage. I thought it felt pretty good though, the crappy ‘One “context” interaction key for everything’ design was terrible though.

In Rainbow Six Vegas series, experienced players really were largely playing like a normal FPS, part of that was also the misleading cover system where you’d often be exposed or bogged down by it.

• LennyLeonardo says:

OK, now just use the phrase “console peasant” and I’ll have bingo.

• Don Reba says:

You’re not a console peasant sympathizer, are you, buddy?

• Sin Vega says:

Not even slightly. It was directly responsible for changing the course of shooters for the next ten years. Old fashioned now, sure, but then? Nonsense.

7. Stense says:

As someone who’s not played any Gears of War before, I have two thoughts upon reading this.
    – That’s a really contrived name for their world government.
    – That’s a lot of shaky cam.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They also have guns with chainsaw bayonettes on them. Consider though that these weapons were already invented before the invasion. That means this government was sending soldiers into battle to chainsaw other human beings.

I think they maybe deserve what they got.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve never laughed more hard at a YouTube comment than when I saw a bunch of people saying how touching and emotional the ending of Gears 3 was.

9. Kefren says:

I played through Gears of War and was bored most of the time. Also wondering why it was all men, and they were all deformed.
    Add in Windows 10 and another game platform and this is a big no no for me.

10. Spakkenkhrist says:

Did anyone point out at the time that the enemy grunts were about the same size as your character? Coupled with the drab colours it makes it very dull to look at.

11. Sin Vega says:

Wow, some of those new shades of grey came very close to being another colour. I’m impressed.

Risingson says:

Gears of war is a bit plain, quite a bit repetitive and fun in small doses.

13. Unsheep says:

I always enjoyed the campaign in these games, they had a very nice flow to them and had some really cool settings and scenarios. I never touched the multiplayer, as I think multiplayer is an utter waste in most games.

I don’t think I have the interest to replay these games again though.

Personally I think there are more interesting Xbox exclusives to launch for PC than Gears of War. My pick would be: Bullet Witch, Ace Combat 6, Crackdown, Fable II, Lost Odyssey, Over G Fighters, Project Gotham Racing 4, Ridge Racer 6. I enjoyed these games more than I did the Gears of War series.

Who knows, there will most likely be more Xbox exclusives coming to PC, its unlikely to end with just Forza 6 and Gears of War.

14. malkav11 says:

If they’d done what they did with the Halo Master Chief Edition and bundled the whole trilogy prettified etc, I’d be a bit tempted. Not enough to bother with the Windows 10 app store, but at least it would include the two games in the series that are actually good. Gears 1 is just way too limited in imagination and bland in design to be worth playing. (And I cordially hate it for launching a wave of games full of its particular brand of slow, bullet spongy, pop-and-shoot cover shooting in wildly artificial arenas full of obvious waist high cover, especially for infecting the Mass Effect series.)

I do kinda want to play through the second and third with proper shooter controls, though – they got a lot more creative with the design and although the storytelling in the games proper was not exactly stellar, Karen Traviss did a good enough job with the interstitial narrative presented in her novels that I’d like to see the major plot beats they reserved for the actual games that were theoretically (if not actually) the linchpins of the franchise.

15. Arithon says:

The game was pretty average in 2006. Coupled with being crippled by the GFWL DRM which switched the game off when Microsoft walked away and pulled the plug.
    The original won’t run. I don’t see paying for a ten year old console port that should have been patched to function, for nothing, like pretty much every other GWL title. I have the original and tried to get it to install on Windows 7 years ago, but the DRM made it impossible. There may be a hack out there now, but I gave up before 2010.
    They’ve thrown in a texture mod? Totally ruined THAT gesture by hooking the thing to another GFWL (Windows Store) which they’ll (true to form) walk away from when they get bored.
    If they were serious, they could have just removed GFWL from the original and released it for free on their store, without any modification. It would have run on Win 7, 8 & 10 and people with more talent and passion than them could then mod it to have better textures and new maps.
    Had they done that, then maybe it wouldn’t have been the launch disaster it has been. Read about how appalling the release runs on AMD cards. Not great on nVidia either.

16. iainl says:

I grudgingly pushed through a couple of hours (the first two levels) on the 360 when it came out, pretty much hating the whole experience. And yes, it took me an hour to complete the introduction level, because I found the aiming utterly impossible, even on the easier difficulty level.

I’ve been told more than once by others that it’s quite fun in co-op, however. But then many games are.

cpt_freakout says:

To me, Gears of War is not a singleplayer game. It’s always been co-op, and it shines! Played the campaign of 1 with my brother, then 2 with my bro and later with a friend, then 3 with a bunch of friends. Never touched the SP, and it was fantastic. Sure, the setting’s all ridiculously grimdark, but it works in terms of giving you a bunch of very fun scenarios in which you really feel the pressure of being outgunned and outnumbered.

It’s much more fun in co-op because the scenarios are usually versatile enough to give you two or three (sometimes even more) possible approaches, so you really have to work out tactics and desperate moves with your buddy(ies). I imagine that variety is lost in SP – there’s no one to tell you you’re about to get pounced by a bunch of dog-things (don’t even remember the name), or calling for help to clear out a particular enemy that doesn’t want to leave cover and will absolutely destroy you if you move… and so on.

TL;DR: these games are at their best when played with someone.

17. PancakeWizard says:

Fucking hell at least GW’s Space Marines had biological reasons to be so inhumanly proportioned! It’s like looking at a Liefeld comic! It’s impossible not to laugh.

• Don Reba says:

They pick soldiers with the smallest heads to give the enemy smaller targets. The alternative would be to wear some dorky helmets.