Tom Clancy’s The Division’s Trio Of Trailers

With The Division [official site] coming out next week, Ubisoft are releasing a flood of trailers. You can now watch the official launch trailer for a parade of press quotes, dramatic music, and voiceovers. Or you might prefer a trailer focused on technological PC prettybits. Or, if you want to drill down into it, another trailer gets technical with the game’s Nvidia Gameworks effects (you might want to nod knowingly at terms like ‘HBAO+’ and ‘PCSS’). You might find something right up your Fifth Avenue.

First of all, here’s the launch trailer, which came out today – a week before the game’s actual launch on March 8th:

If you haven’t already, you should check out Adam’s early impressions, and if you need even more, you greedy sod you, here’s a vid demonstrating how it’ll look running at 60 FPS on your PC telly box:

And this last one focuses on Nvidia GameWorks bits, effects added with Nvidia’s help:

For the jist of that in writing, here’s The Division’s technical director Anders Holmquist speaking technically:

“One of the technologies that helped us achieve this level of quality is an Nvidia technique called HBAO+. It is faster, better and a significant improvement compared to previous techniques.

“In such a vertical environment, Nvidia’s PCSS solution was a key technology to add contact-hardening, realistic soft shadows that progressively soften as the distance from the casting object increases, improving the image quality and increasing the realism of Manhattan.”

HBAO+ works on AMD video cards too, but PCSS is disabled. [I think -ed.]

That’s it. Those are your Division trailers for today. Though with a whole week still to go, who knows how many more we’ll see before it comes out?

From this site

1. Scroll says:

I hope there’s a launch driver that improves performance as the beta was a little lacking as far as being optimal on Nvidia cards.

• dysomniak says:

Yeah, I struggled to maintain 60 FPS (1080p) on medium, despite the fact that it was using both my GTX 770s to the max (With SLI off it was near unplayable). Hardly scratched my i7 3770 so folks with more modest CPUs should be OK.

Maybe I’m just surly because this is the first game that’s really butted up against my specs, but no matter the graphics settings this game just doesn’t look that amazing. It definitely seems poorly optimized in my (admittedly poorly educated) opinion.

• Scroll says:

Which is quite odd considering they’re giving the game away with current Nvidia cards, usually that would be a show of confidence as far as how the game performs. Not even sure my 980ti will run it amazingly well, which is a little disappointing.

• dysomniak says:

Honestly the beta ran only a smidge better for me than Arkham Knight (at it’s best – I’m one of the people for whom the latest updates actually made things worse), and I feel like both games have a similar level of environment detail and debris.

I’m probably going to buy it since I manged to waste 12 hours already. Don’t know that it will be a long lasting MMO type experience but I imagine it’ll give me at least as many hours of mindless murder as any of the singleplayer offerings at the moment.

• ninjapirate says:

I felt the same way about the game. Nothing really blew me away, yet I still ended up playing the beta for ~12 hours, and I would have continued playing it if there had been more content.
            It won’t live up to its hype, but I’m convinced that I’ll play it long enough to make it worth my money – which is all that I can hope for with the majority of games these days.

• 9of9 says:

Sharpened the teeth on my new 980 Ti on the open beta, it wasn’t too atrocious performance-wise. It handled the game on maximum settings with a fairly steady-ish 60fps at 1080p. At 1440p however the framerate tended to drop down to around 45-50 fps, and needed going all the way down to Medium presets to get everything running smoothly at 1440p60. I’m hoping with driver and final release optimisations, I’ll get 1440p60 with even better settings.

• Creeping Death says:

I had no trouble keeping a fairly stable 60 with my GTX 970 at max settings during the beta. Seeing some people compare it to Arkham Knight performance wise is ridiculous.

• Simplex says:

“I had no trouble keeping a fairly stable 60 with my GTX 970 at max settings during the beta.”

Sorry, but that’s just not physically possible. Here’s framerate at 1080p max settings on a substantially overclocked 980Ti (>1400MHz core clock) and overclocked i7 6700K (4,5 GHz).

link to youtube.com

980Ti is around 50% faster than 970, so if I was getting frequent drops below 60 on max settings, there is not a snowball chance in hell that you did not – in fact they must have been even worse, in the range of 40s.

My friend has a 970, he aimed for a locked 60fps – he had to lower everything to medium and he still had occasional dips below 60.

• Jabberslops says:

I had the unfortunately luck of my GTX 780 dying and almost 3 weeks wait for my replacement, but in the mean time I went back to my GTX 560TI 1GB and managed to get 38-45fps at 1600×900 windowed with lowest settings and half draw distance. It was surprisingly playable, although I decided to pass on the game because none of my friends are buying it.

• fish99 says:

Ran pretty well on my 970, although I do remember a few areas where it dropped down to 40s. Mostly it was at 60 though, and it did at least look very pretty.

2. Darth Jimmi says:

I don’t think im realy interested in this game anymore. Most of my gaming buddies will be playing it and saying it’s amazing, but it looks too mmo-ish and grindy to me. Looks alot like Destiny and we all know how that went!
    Thankfully for my wallet theres no really interesting games this month. More money for food and clothes and stuff :D

• mechabuddha says:

You’re right, it’s probably not for you. I played the beta, and it was pretty much Destiny but also on the PC as a cover-based 3rd person shooter with class changing on the fly set in modern New York with survival will-they-won’t-they PvEvP and dogs that will poop in the street without shame.

• AlwaysBlack says:

How did Destiny “went”?

3. citrusninja says:

Really looking forward to this game. Probably some of the most intense pvp I’ve experienced since DayZ/Rust!

• dysomniak says:

I usually avoid PvP but I found myself having some good fun in the DZ, despite lacking any friends to play with. I hunted down a few rogue agents and took part in some major fights between rogue and “good” agents. Never went rogue on purpose myself though.

• ninjapirate says:

The few occasions when I saw my character going rogue were due to being a victim of bugs/exploits. The open beta was useful in finding them, let’s hope they’ve been fixed in the final release.

• dysomniak says:

I didn’t notice any chicanery, but maybe I’m just too trusting. The one big issue I had was that since I favored an M1 (I think?) rifle I would do enough damage with one stray shot to flag me. Then I would die quickly.

• ninjapirate says:

If another player (intentionally/accidentally) attacked your deployed turret, it would open fire on him, inadvertently causing you to go rogue.

4. Gibs says:

goddam nvidia gameworks, fuck you nvidia!

5. dysomniak says:

Anyone else have trouble playing this with KBM? I tried to get along with it for about an hour and then switched to my gamepad with much better results.

• fish99 says:

The keybinds took some getting used to, but the mouse aiming was solid, so… no, not really.

The big issue I had was that the combat just wasn’t that exciting, the PvE at least. If they’d set it 20 years in the future they could have done something a lot more interesting with the guns.

• Person of Interest says:

KBM worked fine for me in the open beta, and the cover movement felt satisfying. For context, I only use the gamepad for certain 3D games like Batman and Dark Souls; nothing that requires precision shooting.

I thought the menus and item activation were a bit clunky with KBM, but no worse than, say, Borderlands.

The worst part for me was I spent most of the time long-range sniping pixels of the oblivious AI peeping out from cover, which I’m incapable of doing with a gamepad. It eliminated a lot of the need for tactics.

• Barberetti says:

Nope, KBM was fine for me.

6. LexW1 says:

I expected to be blown away by these trailers but it’s all bit… meh.

Don’t get me wrong, the game looks great – but I think most of that is superb visual design, really good lighting, and exceptional animation. It looked great on my totally rubbish graphics card, even.

The various fancy effects don’t seem to add a great deal – some even look dumb – for example at 1.23 in the middle video (the 60fps one) where they’re showing off the reflections, they look completely unnatural under the cars – where they should be shadow (or at least reflecting the dark underside of the car, which seem to not be the case).

7. Frank says:

Weird that Ubi would try to segment its advertising like this (with all the trailers above being blocked in the US). Seems like more trouble than it could possibly be worth.

• dysomniak says:

It seems to be a common practice, even though it’s obviously dumb. I’m sure a lot of folks (myself included) can’t be arsed to go track down “our” regional trailer.

caff says:

I won’t be buying because I found the beta boring.

• BobbyDylan says:

Me too. Might pick it up in a sale, but the game just didn’t light my fire. The compromise to make the general area a Co-OP experience have actually harmed the game IMHO.

9. TheSplund says:

Played the Beta for a bit but TBH it was farly boring and whilst I’m ok with 3rd person the lack of first person aiming sucks big-time – gonna save my money (and time. Shame as it looked impressive.

Qazinsky says:

In the beta, if you attached a scope to your weapon, you could look through the scope in first person. Granted, it took two keypresses compared to one for aim down sight.

10. yogibbear says:

The optimist in me hopes this game has been holding A LOT of content back that has purposely been hidden because “spoilers” and it would make the reveal all the more epic. The cynic in me thinks Ubi PR are protecting a game that has very little content.