The Necron Are Joining WH40K: Dawn Of War II, Sort Of

While talk of Dawn of War 3 remains but a murmur for now, the Necron will soon invade Dawn of War II – Retribution [official site]. A Necron Overlord will join Retribution’s co-op survival mode, The Last Stand, in celebration of the Retribution’s fifth birthday – the eighth playable character in its roster. As a present, you can get your hands on the new star free-of-charge between March 10 and March 15.

Developers Relic and newish publisher Sega – who grabbed the reins when THQ went under – have kept the Warhammer 40,000 strategy series busy in recent times, releasing new maps for original Dawn of War last September, and a bloody Retribution DLC for Halloween. Sega say the latest addition serves not only to celebrate Retribution’s fifth anniversary, but also to acknowledge the “unwavering dedication” of the game’s community.

To this end, the Necron Overlord will be free to download for five days following its introduction. After that, it’ll be sold for $9.99. As well as coming to Retribution, the Overlord will of course be available for The Last Standalone, the standalone release of that mode. Here’s Sega on what the Overlord is all about:

“The Overlords of the Necrons, armed with crackling warscythes, turn any battlefield into carnage as they dispatch foes in flares of blinding energy and even summon the powerful Nightbringer Shard to devastate foes. The new hero boasts a fresh combat style, playable as both a long-ranged, fast-firing battlecruiser, or as an area-of-effect melee expert.”

Also, a new patch will launch alongside the Overlord, which will address “the most prominent community-reported bugs” and add new achievement. Full patch notes for that can be found over here.

Both The Necron Overlord and the latest bug patch update are heading to Dawn of War II – Retribution on March 10. Remember, you can grab the Overlord for free between then and March 15.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Anthile says:

I mean, it has to be a teaser for DoW3, right? It doesn’t make much sense otherwise. I bet we’ll see it announced at E3.

• PancakeWizard says:

Necron were in one of the first game’s expansions FWIW. I don’t think it’s anything but a nice little extra to keep the community alive, tbh. Relic have form for this and Sega want to keep the franchise alive.

If anything, I’d say it’s an indication that a sequel is a way off yet.

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m not so sure. Relic have to be working on something other than CoH 2 support.

• Volcanu says:

I’m fairly sure they are working on DoW III but I agree I think it’s a way off yet.

I keep an eye on Relic’s job postings from time to time and they have recently had a spate of openings for work on an ‘unannounced title’.

One of the current ones is for a Senior Narrative Designer, a position that doesn’t appear to have been filled yet. That suggests that work on a campaign is yet to start.

There is also a contract position for 6-12 months to create promotional videos and cinematics. There was a reference in there to working with the Brand team I think too.

Added to that A SEGA press release last year made passing reference to an upcoming AAA game from Relic.

My guess would be for an announcement this summer, with a release in Spring 2017. But I’m not basing that on all that much.

• KDR_11k says:

The final wave of Last Stand foreshadowed the announcement of Chaos Rising so TLS content coming ahead of a full release with that content wouldn’t be unprecedented.

2. SupahSpankeh says:

Hrm. Hope this doesn’t break Elite Mod, which by all accounts is the most active DoW II community, even outnumbering vanilla players.

TBH, they’d do themselves a favour if they just rolled out Elite Mod as an official version. Balance is better, new units, more bugfixes.

3. unitled says:

Always happy to see more Last Stand stuff, absolutely loved that mode (finally cracked the second map on my last binge!). Will be very happy to give this a play through with the Necron Lord, and as far as I remember you can get the Last Standalone for about £1,50 these days.

4. keefybabe says:

Always happy to see more Necrons. So sick of space marines and Orks in WH4K games.

Nauallis says:

On the one hand, it’s great to see a developer/somebody officially supporting a game even five years out from original release.

On the other hand, this is wildly bizarre. Kinda wonder what they’ve been doing, no?

• Volcanu says:

Well I suppose they’ve been busy on CoH 2 and its expansions for a good few years.

I’m guessing it’s part of an attempt to rekindle the DoW community ahead of an eventual announcement of the third game.

6. jonfitt says:

I thought this was the reward for DoW 2 winning Make War Not Love?
    I’ll have to check my DoW2 DLC to see what they gave out.

• jonfitt says:

I checked. It was the TAU commander. I got the Egyption Terminator robots confused with the Space Gundam. It’s all new fangled stuff to me. Bah, where are my Squats?

• Apologised says:

Eaten by Tyranids.

I don’t mind Tau and what they ended up doing with the Necrons personally. I had no problems with the Lovecraftian Terminator theme they had before but Undead Robot Dr-Who Time Lords works really well for me also.

• jonfitt says:

I don’t mind them really, and I appreciate that they needed to add more armies to revitalise the game. But to my mind it upsets the original balance.
          It’s like the if Beatles stayed together into the 90s and added in Scary Spice and Sporty Spice to appeal to the kids.

• Asurmen says:

They’ve always been Undead Robot though.