Dead Island & Riptide Remastered In ‘Definitive Editions’

Zombie-slaying FPS-RPG Dead Island [official site] and its 2013 expandalone Dead Island Riptide are being “remastered” in Definitive Editions – more relatively-recent games coming our way again with a new swing in their step after being prettied up for the latest consoles. Too bad someone already took the name Deathinitive Edition, huh?

Out of curiosity, I went back to see what RPS said in 2011 when Dead Island [official site] was re-announced with That Trailer. I’m almost disappointed by John’s restraint. I was hoping someone would’ve declared it “The Citizen Kane of Game Trailers” and I’d get to be gittish to them tomorrow. Curses. Not even “The Old Yeller of Game Trailers”!

The Definitive Editions (how about ‘Undeathinitive Edition’, Deep Silver?) have been done up with pretties like “redone” higher-resolution textures, a new lighting system with physically-based shading, improved character models, HBAO (that’s horizon-based ambient occlusion, acronym addicts!), and new motion blur effects. Shiny things.

Dead Island and Riptide will be sold separately for £14.99/$20, or come together in a £29.99/$40 ‘Dead Island Definitive Collection’ also including a retro-styled action-y endless runner named Dead Island Retro Revenge. Both individual games and the Collection are due on May 31st.

After Dead Island, publishers Deep Silver kept the rights and creators Techland moved on to make Dying Light – which itself recently got fancied-up in the ‘Enhanced Edition’. Dying Light picked up an expansion last month too, which Adam really liked.

We still don’t know what’s going on with Dead Island 2 since Deep Silver decided to “part ways” with developers Yager. Which is a shame, as Dead Island 2 actually sounded quite fun – unlike the strange and awful spin-offs Deep Silver did release.

From this site

1. Blackcompany says:

Recently I find myself drifting from games toward other interests. Things like this remind me why that is…ugh, this industry sometimes.

• Jalan says:

It’s hard to imagine a time where every sub-section of media entertainment gets done nickel-and-diming their target audiences.

Eventually they’ll all concede defeat and go digital until a worldwide law passes that allows them to hook directly into our brains and package mind-crippling DRM with their products… right?

2. bramble says:

Will there be a “definitive edition” rerelease of the bloody female torso statue as well?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yeah, it comes with special glasses that when you look at the statue it has HBAO turned on.

3. qrter says:

Cashgrab Edition

4. Pich says:

gonnaneed to add a few more scare quotes to that title.

5. Zach Fett says:

They’re adding *in* motion blur? I wouldn’t consider that an upgrade!

6. KastaRules says:

I am not interested in this since the devs left…

Techland are one of the best developer around! I follow their FaceBook page and they really have a nice way to involve us gamers into their projects. I’ll be happy to keep supporting them with their Dying Light saga.

• horrorgasm says:

Oh sure. My favorite thing about them is how they never fixed the gamebreaking bugs on all platforms in the Dead Island games and even included the exact same bugs in Dying Light. I’m sure they’ll be in this version too. That kind of dedication to tradition really left an impression on me, I TELL YOU WHAT!

• Buggery says:

I never played Dead Island, but I been playing a lot of Dying Light and I haven’t really noticed much in the way of bugs. You alright mate? You seem mad about a thing that I don’t really think actually exists.

• Catweasel says:

“works on my machine” is not really a helpful anecdote when someone has a buggy experience, though.

• KastaRules says:

Which bug??

• KastaRules says:

Anyway Dead Island was a mess but from what I have experienced (~100 hours) Dying Light and The Following are next to flawless.

7. melnificent says:

Patch edition.

• Jalan says:

Getting the first game to run at a consistent frame rate isn’t a mere patch, it’s absolutely sorcery!

8. Jalan says:

Conveniently left sitting on the dock of Banoi: Escape Dead Island.

9. nimbulan says:

I wonder if it’ll take us a year to convince them to let us remove chromatic aberration from this one too…

10. April March says:

It’s probably unfair of me to dismiss this game as completely bland without having played it, and observe its spinoffs and rerelease with mild bereavement instead of wondering if it’s better than I gave it credit for. But life is unfair, and I am alive.

11. wombat191 says:

i enjoyed dead island immensely but riptide just didnt keep my attention and as for this remastered edition.. well if im watching the trailer and get to the end asking “and they upgraded what exactly?” hen ill skip it

12. malkav11 says:

I adored Dead Island but it was already quite pretty. There’s a bunch of other stuff that could use fixing first and no word on whether they bothered. Or whether people who already own both DI and Riptide will have that translate into any degree of savings on this new version. (TBH, I can’t see picking it up for less than 80% off and feel like “free” is probably the appropriate price if it’s a strictly visual upgrade.)

• Jalan says:

Definitely agree here but knowing how Deep Silver tend to operate it would probably be some limited time discount for owners of the previous releases vs. something for free (I avoided bringing this up myself elsewhere just to avoid the “Oh, so you think you’re entitled to get these free because they worked hard on them?” argument).

13. Legion23 says:

I agree too that this is not needed too. Probably just done for a quick coin and to keep the brand name in the media till they sort out their mess with Dead Island 2.

• Jalan says:

Or a way to pay whatever studio they hired after they decided to jettison Yager to work on Dead Island 2.

14. Unsheep says:

If your definition of ‘awful’ is Riptide and Escape Dead Island, you have truly been spoiled my friend, because that’s an extraordinary exaggeration (…see what I did there ?) when you’ve had games like Batman and Unity around.