Hitman’s Launch Trailer Offers Sense Of Scale

When the episodic new Hitman [official site] releases its first slice next week, we’ll get the chance to mess around in its prologue and Paris missions. Square Enix have now released its launch trailer which shows off bits of both, while also visiting large sections of the game’s upcoming Sapienza and Marrakesh sandbox playgrounds that’re due in April and May respectively. Come have a gander below.

Not the most inspiring launch trailer I’ve ever seen, but the size of the levels on show there is impressive nevertheless. After Absolution‘s somewhat stifling linear design, the new Hitman will focus on experimentation within its murdergrounds – more like the Hitmans of old – thus scale is naturally important this time round. Adam admired this in his recent hands-on, however was equally frustrated with how scripted many of its set-pieces felt and how poorly the AI reacted to his actions. Now fully-episodic, though, Hitman is likely to change over time thus these issues will hopefully be ironed out in due course.

Another point worth noting regarding Hitman’s imminent episodic release, is the fact it’ll debut on the same day as stealth ’em up genre cousin Alekhine’s Gun. Once known as Death To Spies 3, Alekhine’s Gun adopts similar themes of brutal assassination, multiple disguises and superlative sleuthing housed within a host of open levels. There aren’t an inordinate amount of stealth games on the market these days – although Shadwen is certainly one to look out for in future – therefore it’s nice to see the bald butcher face some competition.

Anyway, Hitman’s first episode is due for release next Friday, March 11.

From this site

1. dontnormally says:

Really, it looks quite good.

2. slerbal says:

I really hope they tweak the fixed scripting issues, as I really want to play the game and enjoy it. It seems like it is 80-90% there and just needs a bit more TLC to be a good sequel to Blood Money.

3. int says:

Now that’s a good trailer!

heretic says:

Agree, I feel the hitman trailers have been quite good actually – whoever’s running the marketing campaign has the right idea in my books.

Certainly increased my interest after the lukewarm preview from Adam.

4. kolesGhost says:

As someone with not a lot of time/money (kids, full time job, etc) I hope this AAA episodic trend continues. Grabbing this for $15 and actually beating it sounds way more appealing than spending $60 on something I don’t finish.

And if the game grabs me, I’ll buy more of it when I have time.

• haldolium says:

Why would it? That idea already failed a decade ago with only one true survivor: Telltale.

This simply doesn’t work for every kind of content. I admit though, that I can imagine it quite good for Hitman since it always had a marvelous harmony of gameplay and story with an immersive presentation while still making it the way that you could (re)enjoy many parts of the game on their own.

• manny says:

Hitman story has been pretty crap consistently. The main appeal of Hitman apart from gameplay is it’s setpieces. ie triad meetup, elite pool party.

And these set pieces need to be creatively designed and very dense gameplay wise. This has a been very dificult to achieve, with every game having only a few of these levels standing out. With Contracts and Blood Money they dispensed with the story, and just focused on the set piece levels, and the game has improved. With Absolution they focused on the story more than anytime before and it blew up in their face.
        Now they are just focusing on the set pieces, and the episodic content allows them to stick to that focus, as any story can only be slowly built over time, decreasing the pressure to tell a story.

As for telltale, the only reason those games are popular is the brand recognition. their only original content so far, has been their least successful. In anycase, Hitman is a strong brand, not AAA level just yet, but maybe one day.