The Division’s First Year Of Updates And DLC Detailed

It’s gone five o’clock, which must mean… ah yes, here we are, Ubisoft have sent me something new about The Division [official site]. Following pre-load and unlock times, trailers galore, and a vision of my city filling up with dead improv troupes, here we have more word on the shooter-RPG’s first year of post-release content plans.

Yes, obviously this is Ubi gabbing about a load of paid DLC before the game’s even out, but they are also talking about new things they plan to add in free updates.

So! The game comes out on Tuesday (ish, mostly), with new daily and weekly and challenges things coming all along, then Ubi plan two free updates for April and May.

April’s update, ‘Incursions’, will bring a new end-game activity for pals. “Teams of up to four players will be able to test their skills as they face seemingly unstoppable enemies to gain high-level weapons and equipment,” Ubi explain. May’s update, Conflict, will bring mysterious “new features” to its PvP area, the Dark Zone. It’ll also bring a new incursion set around Columbus Circle, which Ubi swear blind is “iconic” but I don’t recognise it from either Grand Theft Auto games or movies.

Further out, we’re looking at three expansions in June, later in summer, and at some time in winter: Underground, Survival, and Last Stand. They’ll add sprawling subway tunnels, some mild survival-y stuff (I think?), and a wave survival mode. Yep, they’ll all be in a season pass too.

I think The Division is meant to be a Destiny-style “you and your pals will play this for longer than you’d expect because you enjoy hanging out and chatting and shooting things” game, so if you’re looking for that sort of experience, hey, The Division should have at least one year of that with relatively frequent updates.

Ah, jeez, look, here’s a video with pictures to explain what took me all these sloppy words:

From this site

1. Synesthesia says:

And there we go! Gear unlock bullshit in exchange for money. Fuck that.

There’s my decision made, at least.

• Tekrunner says:

Eh, what? Does it say that in the trailer?

• SyCo_Venom says:

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? Now there is in game currency that u get from doing missions or going into the dark zone but most of your good gear seems to be from missions and finding caches in the Dark Zone.

I would love for you to play because you seem pretty dumb and would love to get free xp and monies to unlock all that phat lootz !!!!!

• Tekrunner says:

I’m sure that insulting them will definitely make them want to play.

2. kevmscotland says:

50 bucks says the servers die a horrible death on launch day and take a few days to fix.

• kevmscotland says:

“Unforeseen demand”

• Heavenfall says:

“But didn’t you know exactly how many preordered?”

“Yes”

“So why aren’t there more servers?”

“Because half will quit in a week and we didn’t want to invest in tech that will go un-used.”

• SyCo_Venom says:

I will take that bet. The beta servers handled over 6 million and that was the first time any where near that many people were on. Sure it could happen but I doubt it. There may be some minor hiccups but nothing to bad will be my guess. And if they do go down oh well I can wait a couple days no big deal, there are some other games I need to knock out before I get to deep in this one.

3. yogibbear says:

I’m not pre-ordering. But I hoping there’s more content than has been shown, otherwise expect to pass once the reviews tell us what’s actually in the game, because Ubi seem determined to not tell us what their game is.

4. GemFire81 says:

I guna buy this , but i hope to god that there is 60 dollars worth of content in this game.