Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight Is Out Now

Besides having a wonderful name, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight [official site] is also the fourth entry to the Momodora series. Now, before you jump to conclusions: yes, this is a 2D retro-inspired action platformer with items and spells and big bosses like the ones you’ve seen elsewhere; but rest assured it’s a good one. Here, have a trailer.

In fact, before that, I realise this might be the first you’ve heard of the Momodora series. Let me first direct you to Itch.io, where you can pick up the first two for free (and the third for cheap, although that’s also on Steam for less than three quid) if you like. Reverie Under the Moonlight is a prequel, though, so you won’t miss out on anything should you decide to hop on at this point. Anyway, that trailer:

As you’ll no doubt have gleaned from that, Reverie Under the Moonlight offers a familiar conceit: an evil curse has swept the land, monsters now rule the world, and even the folk who seem trustworthy can’t really be trusted. You take control of a priestess named Kaho from the village of Lun and set out to find her majesty the queen who, by your reckoning, can turn all of this evil on its head.

Whether that turns out to be true remains to be seen, however the option to do so via the game’s easy medium or hard difficulty settings means you can either soak up the world and characters around you, or go up against an extremely challenging platformer. If you’ve got it in you, I’d recommend the latter.

The fourth series entry is by far the prettiest and most polished game of the lot, however the others are definitely worth a punt too. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is out now on Steam for the discounted price of £6.29.

From this site

1. Emeraude says:

Reverie Under the Moonlight offers a familiar conceit

Is my brain addled or did you mean concept?

SuddenSight says:

Conceit can be used as a near-synonym for concept.

• Emeraude says:

It can? Never seen that use.

• Kitsunin says:

an idea that shows imagination

So yes, it basically means concept, but with the added implication that it is imaginative or fantastical in some way.

Oakreef says:

staring eyes

3. GWOP says:

I like how it looks!

4. noodlecake says:

The animation quality, visual style and palette are pretty high quality! It must have been a lot of work. I’m definitely interested.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Getting a huge Cave Story vibe from this.

6. gsilver says:

I picked this up, since Momodora 3 was pretty fun.

Normal mode is really hard, and easy gives you so much health that you’re practically invincible.

…Something in-between, please?

7. turkeydrumstick says:

Pretty! Looks far too twitchy for my aging joystick thumbs though.

8. noodlecake says:

It looks gorgeous but I bought it this afternoon and it’s not a good game. It’s badly balanced. The difficulty doesn’t ramp up gradually, it’s just all over the place. Save spots seem arbitrarily placed. There are situations where multiple enemies are firing shots at you from off the screen that can travel through the landscape while other things are attacking you. It’s a bit of a cluster.

It’s a shame because visually it’s stunning.

It’s the only game I’ve ever asked for my money back on. If you want to scratch your metroidvania itch would suggest playing Cave Story+, Guacamelee, Dust: An Elysian Tale or possibly even waiting for Owlboy which looks amazing and the demo from years ago was excellent.

I posted on the Owlboy dev’s facebook page years ago asking if it was ever going to be finished and I got a reply a month or two ago saying “Yes! This year!”.

• GameCat says:

Dunno, I think I’ve visited more than half of the map and never had much trouble. I’ve only died countless times on Pardoner Fennel bossfight, but that’s ok, it was the best bossfight I’ve had since Dark Souls’ Artorias.

• sdfv says:

It basically sounds like he is complaining that the difficulty is unfair, which may be true and isn’t going to be very noticeable to those who are really good at these sorts of games. Personally, if I pick this up on sale sometime I’ll be playing on easy.