Obduction Gets June Release Date, Teaser Trailer

Obduction [official site] – the Kickstarter-ed spiritual successor to Myst and Riven by developers Cyan – now has a teaser trailer. It’s the sort of teaser trailer whether the camera slowly drifts past scenery as mystery music plays. Observe.

The description of the video includes a SPOILER ALERT for purists so if that’s you, look away now…

So, June 2016 for this one.

If you haven’t heard of Obduction and the text snippets weren’t enough for you to hang an idea of the game around, here’s the skinny:

The game starts with you being abducted by some kind of organic artifact. It just sort of shunts you across the universe to an alien environment. Well, it’s alien-ish. There’s a “stereotypical, Kansas farmhouse with a white picket fence” which is apparently part of a weird town.

In terms of how you play, the official site offers this:

“You choose where you want to go. You choose how much freedom you want. Choose to have full gamer control, or simplify and explore with a simple click of the mouse. Either way these new worlds reveal their secrets only as you explore and coax them. And no matter how you choose to explore, you fall upon some heavy choices to make with substantial consequences.”

I didn’t play Myst back in the day and have heard wildly differing opinions about it. Obduction sounded interesting but talk of Myst ended up overshadowing talk about Obduction so I ended up drifting away. With this trailer I’m still not sure. I think it’s hard to communicate gradual unravelling of mystery in a trailer – I didn’t really get a sense of that side of The Witness til I was playing it – so I’m not really getting a feel for that side of things and it’s ended up at more of an environmental showcase kind of level for me.

From this site

johannsebastianbach says:

Sweet!

Aitrus says:

It’s definitely not a great trailer.

• GepardenK says:

To be fair it’s a teaser, not a full blown trailer

Aitrus says:

Yeah I just thought the “Do you think you could get home” text stuff sounded a bit silly, and the font they chose didn’t really fit the music or footage.

I’m still excited to try it out. Hopefully it’ll be good. :)

3. Cinek says:

Excitement!

(though yes – trailer isn’t too great :/)

4. Urthman says:

“Think, again” is a pretty good tagline, tho.

5. Konservenknilch says:

One of only two Kickstarters I back (other one was Planetary Annihilation). Looking good so far, I really liked the realtime 3D Mysts (URU, V).

6. Jay Load says:

Welcome back, Cyan. We’ve Myst you.

7. fco says:

this and no man’s sky, june will be the month of looking at beautiful alien places

i’m exited.

8. GepardenK says:

Looking so forward to this! Cyan’s ability to merge puzzles with world-building is second to none.

About Myst. It’s kinda the Half-Life of Puzzle/Exploration games. It helpt pioneer clever puzzles that actually made sense (something many of it’s clones forgot to include). Correct me if I’m wrong but if you are hearing wildly differing opinions about it then I think you are talking to people who don’t enjoy games with challenging puzzles

• Konservenknilch says:

One thing people need to remember about the Myst games, and which leads to many saying “It’s just random mechanical puzzles, hurr durr.” You need to read the journals in the game. Really. All of them. That’s where there story lies and also the puzzle clues.

• GepardenK says:

While reading the journals help contextualize the world/puzzles and makes it easier for you to understand concepts that will help you in solving stuff you are actually not required to read them in order to complete the game. The few times critical clues are found in the journals they are represented as clear and large drawings and not hidden in the text.

That said you really should read the journals in Myst as they are all very nice short stories.

• GepardenK says:

Note that what I said above is true of the Cyan made Myst games. Myst 3 and 4 (made by other studio’s) do have required reading and, while still great games, fall in the trap of having a obscure puzzle here and there.

• Konservenknilch says:

RE: your second reply. I much prefer Cyan’s offerings to 3&4, though they were still enjoyable. But the puzzles were not as fun and too much focus on Atrus’ family drama instead.

• Konservenknilch says:

I was probably mostly thinking of the infamous “animal signs” puzzle in Riven. That really required you to understand the world and pick up all the subtle clues. The journals never spell it out, but you can’t reasonably complete it without them (or trial & error, but that’s dull).

So you can solve everything without the journals, there are no artificial roadblocks, ever. But the journals usually give you an idea of how the world was written (they do everything in threes or some such) and thereby help you find the solution yourself.

Like, if you’re an alien stranded on current earth, just the hint that everything here is base ten will probably help a ton.

• GepardenK says:

Yes I agree. Riven especially was genius about this. Both main puzzles (“animal signs” & “firemarble”) require you to have a deep understanding of the world. The journals certainly help but you can, and to some extent must, also get that understanding by just exploring and philosophizing about how the world of Riven works.

In this respect Riven is more like an arcology-simulator than a puzzle game. There is not that many actual puzzles and the gameplay revolves mostly around trying to understand concepts in the world. It’s impossible to grasp the extent of the “firemarble” puzzle without having that understanding, trial & error is simply out of the question

• finc says:

It’s base 10 now? I thought we were still on base 6!