Spintires Now Back On Steam With Official Fix

Spintires [official site] is now back on Steam and an official fix has been released for the crash bug, which was originally rumoured to be sabotage by the game’s developer after a falling out with its publisher. That developer, Pavel Zagrebelny, denies it was sabotage and now seems to be possibly denying any rift with the publisher at all.

In an email exchange with PC Gamer, Zagrebelny attributed the original reports of missed payments from publisher Oovee “to the fact that he’s just not very good at interviews, adding, ‘[I] say a lot of things that make everything worse.'” He refused to comment further on the current state of the relationship or whether payment issues had been resolved, so who knows what’s going on.

For their part, Oovee write in the above Steam post about the fix that, “In the next few days we will release a full and frank statement regarding the cause of the problem and how we plan to avoid this happening again, as well as details of the next update we have been working on since the start of 2016 which we plan to start testing next week.”

There are also instructions on the post about how to apply the update, which involves extra steps if you have mods installed and requires you to remove the user-created hotfix released earlier in the week.

From this site

1. SirRoderick says:

I get a a bit of a flaky impression from both parties, who knows what actually happened.

At least a solid game has been re-instated!

• Psychomorph says:

Let’s see. One party is Russian and the other party is British.

Of course Putin is fault.

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

and now seems to be possibly denying any rift with the publisher at all.

I think you’re misreading that. It sounds much more like “I regret commenting on this publicly”, not that he made up the missing payments or anything.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

yeah I think you’re right on this, talking publicly about the problems most likely made any negotiations that are probably ongoing a lot more difficult.

I’m glad the game is back and working, I do like Spintyres

3. XxBrentos9xX says:

To be fair, both views are highly speculative. We won’t know for sure what happened until they release their statement (hopefully)

4. Shadow says:

My guess is Pavel reached a settlement with Oovee, in exchange for shutting up about it. It’s possible it wasn’t a huge amount of money they owed him, and the bad publicity wasn’t worth it.

100% speculation, but I doubt the statement will say anything about the relationship between the two parties. It’ll likely just give information about the apparent bugs. I don’t expect much more than that.

• Shuck says:

I hope they worked it all out. Unfortunately publishers are often in a strong position to screw over developers with little to no recourse – especially when it’s a single developer. It’s sadly common for companies to say, “We’re not going to pay what we owe you, because to take us to court to get your money would cost you more than you’d get.” In that position it’s easy to strong arm the worker into shutting up and not generating bad PR by giving them a small fraction of what they’re owed, because they know it’s the best deal they’ll get.

5. trueGamer says:

Maybe it was all an inside PR-stunt

6. Ch0ke says:

I’m getting tired of these knuckleheads. I’m gonna try out this Steam refund thing w/ 34 hours played…we’ll see how it goes.