The Foxer

Welcome to the The Flare Path’s new foxer annexe! Roman and myself are still fine-tuning the décor so if you don’t like something, just say. We’re willing to rethink everything except the ‘hand grenades of the world’ wallpaper on the accent wall, the ‘aircraft of the interbellum’ mural on the ceiling, and the occasional tables made from decommissioned depth charges.

Last week’s theme: words that can be tacked to the end of ‘candle’ to form new words (defoxed by phlebas)

a candlemas (Rorschach617)
b candlesnuffer (Stugle)
c candlenut (AbyssUK)
d candleford (Stugle)
e candlelighter (skink74)
f candlefish (iainl)
g candelabra (Palindrome, Rorschach617, Stugle, AFKAMC)
h candlewick (Shiloh)
i candlestick (Rorschach617)
j candlepower (phlebas)

* * * * *

Foxer Fact no. 547

The GWR began adding defoxing cars to their most prestigious expresses in the early 1920s. Crime novelist Agatha Christie is said to have based Hercule Poirot on a Swiss puzzle prober she encountered several times in the defoxing lounge of the London to Paignton ‘Torbay Express’.

From this site

1. unacom says:

Foxer:
    biplane lower right is a Fairey Swordfish.

• unacom says:

No. It´s not.

• AFKAMC says:

Maybe a Finnish Gloster Gauntlet?

• unacom says:

The engine cowling looks different.

• AFKAMC says:

If it is a Gauntlet, according to Wikipedia the Finns nicknamed them Kotletti (literally “cutlet”) – which may or may not be a clue.

• Rorschach617 says:

Going on what appears to be a Swastika on the underside of the wing, I checked some listing of the Finnish Airforce.

How does the Bristol Bulldog MkIV look?
        link to en.wikipedia.org

There is a photo of one in Finnish livery half-way down the page

• unacom says:

Looks good.
          If we were looking for fighter aces. Eino Luukkanen flew one of these.

• AFKAMC says:

Kilroy/Chad peeking over the wall bottom left.

• AFKAMC says:

For some reason, the four-engined plane looks French to me. Je n’en suis pas sûr.

• Rorschach617 says:

How does the Bristol Bulldog MkIV look?
      link to en.wikipedia.org

There is a photo of one in Finnish livery half-way down the page

2. Shiloh says:

No. 43 top left – Strip “The King” Weathers from Disney’s Cars. Team Dinoco, based on the Plymouth Superbird if that helps…

• iainl says:

Yep, that’s Mr. The King, as voiced by, and clearly based on, Richard Petty, the NASCAR driver who raced a blue number 43 Superbird.

3. Shiloh says:

PS The new annexe is splendid. I’m particularly appreciative of the small bar area. Mine’s a double G&T please Roman, oh, and hold the “T” – I’ll be over there, in the stuffed leather armchair by the fire… no, the one underneath the framed situation map of Velikiye Luki. Yes, that one.

Hydrogene says:

Yes, what a lovely place! It’s nice being amongst defoxing friends.

• Rorschach617 says:

Walnut panelling on sound-proofed walls, thick carpets and possibly the largest and most complex miniature railway I have ever seen.

Can I move in permanently?

• Stugle says:

It’s a well-appointed annexe! Hopefully, I’ll keep my appointment better next week to engage in the festivities.

phuzz says:

As we have a whole post to the Foxer, I guess we can have one reply chain per item.
    So, the front view of the aircraft in the centre:
    It’s not a Constellation (low wing, not mid like the pic)
    Not an Avro York (high wing)

Something is making me think it’s a Bristol, but it’s not afaik.

• AFKAMC says:

I think it might be one of the Breguet 761/763/765 family. If so, normally called the Deux-Ponts (Double-Decker).

• AFKAMC says:

Not the exact image, but very like the Breguet Deux Ponts Sahara

link to the-blueprints.com

phuzz says:

That’s the one.
          Man, it’s way more ugly than I was expecting from the front view.

• Baldrick says:

Curses… First ever Foxer when I had something to add (Breguet Deux-Ponts) and I miss out on the 5 minutes it takes to create an account…

• unacom says:

You will miss out on the thirty seconds it takes to check your post for spelling and whatnot next time. Happens to me nearly every time.
            ;)
            By the way. Welcome to the gang.

5. BryanTrysers says:

The guy in the photo is Milan Kundera, Czech author (exiled in France) of Ubearable Lightness of Being among others.

• BryanTrysers says:

Unbearable, of course. We all know the lightness of being isn’t ubearable.

• dufus0057 says:

The man in the photo bears a striking resemblance to my friends dad, described as a spy, working out of carbalah listening post, presumably working at a green ossciloscope, maybe listening to me right now. Hi Major Fulton! God knows if they dumped him as a book writer, at the far end of Satan’s arsehole somewhere. as for the foxer, my response, F-O-X-E-D! thanks for calling me out Llewellyn, message as follows. QnR6, TdLnRg21. whatever…

6. Rorschach617 says:

The amphibious truck Top Right is a Toyota 4×4 Su-Ki.

Link to follow

7. unacom says:

That schwimmwagen thingy could be a Toyota To-Ki 4×4 or Su-Ki

8. Shiloh says:

I’m wondering whether the black squiggles bottom left are some form of shorthand? The bottom squiqqle looks like a Pitman letter l.

9. Shiloh says:

And the Arabic – initially I though the first (right hand) part was the name “Hassan”, but there’s an extra letter between the “S” and the (presumably) “N”, it’s either a “B” or a “Y”. The second part is a bit harder to decipher but contains the characters “S”? Y R Y.

• Shiloh says:

OK got the first word – it’s the name “Hussein”.

• Shiloh says:

And I got a hit when I entered “JYRY” (not “SYRY”, the dot under the letter “J” is hidden by the speedometer) into an Arabic dictionary – apparently it means “calcareous” i.e. containing lime or being chalky.

Make of that what you will.

• Shiloh says:

It’s also the Arabic transliteration for “Jerry” – as in “Tom and Jerry”.

10. Baldrick says:

Okay not fast enough on the plane silhouette. Let’s try the runway outline in the background, at least that’s what I think it is?
    Or is it railway sidings/tracks?

• unacom says:

I took Shiloh´s first post to be the answer to that question and spent about ten minutes looking for it on Velikiye Luki maps…

phuzz says:

Looks like it’s an airfield, and in the desert somewhere?
      I found a page which had satellite views of airfields in Saudi Arabia, and it didn’t match any of them.
      It’s odd that there seems to be only one runway in one direction, most airfields have at least two pointing in different directions to account for changing wind, so we can guess that this one is somewhere with a very stable wind.

• Baldrick says:

I can safely say it’s NOT a major airport in Chad as far as I can tell… (trying to link French planes to Chad etc…) may be wrong…
        Some of the airports in Chad have, “interesting” names (the 12 year old in me sniggers…) link to en.wikipedia.org

• Rorschach617 says:

Found it.

“ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Unluckily, our next scheduled stop has been closed due to a sand-storm. We will have to divert to the nearest runway with a hard surface, and I am not going to tell you what its called.”

• Baldrick says:

Maaten al-Sarra Air Base in Libya! link to en.wikipedia.org check the view on Google Earth! link to google.com

• Baldrick says:

Raided by Chad in the Toyota War. link to en.wikipedia.org

• Rorschach617 says:

“So, Baldrick, first time at the crease, and you crack a very tricky google earth image, or googly.

For all the non-defoxers out there, how does it feel to start your innings in such a spectacular way?”

• Baldrick says:

Feels good.
            Though I have to say has the free bar tab at Foxer Annexe run out? Started off with G & T’s (heavy on the G, light on the T thanks Shiloh) but I just ordered a pint of Adnams and I got a carton of Kia-Ora….?
            (long, long time lurker, finally had free time on the Friday and decided to whet my whistle)

• Rorschach617 says:

“So, you heard it here first, foxer fans. A good result on the day and the debutant gets on the scoresheet, proving that our defoxing academies can get new blood into the game. I’ve been Frankly Rorschach, back to Gary in the studio!”

Hydrogene says:

The monoplane looks like a Miles Hawk racer. But the radiator cowling looks a bit off…

12. phlebas says:

I think the speedometer in the middle is actually a radio tuning dial – it appears to be labelled in megacycles.

13. Shiloh says:

Indeed. And it looks like it’s tuned to 110 MHz.

14. Rorschach617 says:

So, we have Sahara, Chad, Fada (its in Chad), its looking a bit Chad-y?

• Baldrick says:

Then we add Milan Kundera to the mix and err… arr… (Foxer novice v. confused here…)

15. SpiceTheCat says:

Vigorous googling brings up the Toyota war, named after the technicals armed with Milan rockets. It took place in the Sahara in northern Chad and the town of Fada was one of the disputed towns. Hissène Habré was president at the time.

• SpiceTheCat says:

Wikipedia link here link to en.wikipedia.org

I can’t think of a connection with bulldogs or Strip “The King” Weathers yet…

• Rorschach617 says:

The disputed “Aouzou Strip”? An area of land between Libya and Chad, named after the town of Aouzou and where the last Chadian and Libyan offensives occured?

Still better than what I was researching, the battle of Kufra (Free French offensive in Italian Libya) and wondering if Phillippe LeClerc owned a bulldog :)

• SpiceTheCat says:

Opération Épervier, the codename for the French operation in Chad, means “Sparrowhawk”.

16. lglethal says:

the little charachter in the corner is an old comic called Kilroy Was Here.But here’s the kicker, it was known as “mr Chad” in the UK.

link to en.wikipedia.org