What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

“You couldn’t make it up,” Richard Littlejohn would tell you. You definitely can, of course. However. This next bit is true: after John suspiciously reappeared for last week’s WAYTWPWAPW?T at the same time as Adam and Alec mysteriously disappeared, now they’re all gone. All of them. No one has told me anything about their video game plans for the weekend. It’s just me, now. Just me and… are you still here?

Adam: [Dead?]
Alec: [Probably dead.]
Alice: Hoooo then okay, eyes forward, fingers down, type words and don’t look back.

I ended up spending much of last weekend peering at plants (as RPS Supporters can see), so happily I can fall back on the old plan: finish Californium, play Superhot, start Firewatch, and dig back into Devil Daggers before my pals get even further ahead. All of which I will do in a manner which respects the intellect and bloodthirst of John Walker, and does not question or defy him in any way.

Graham: [I’m going to say dead.]
John: [I’m going to say he’s the best person I’ve ever known. As if that’ll help me!]
Philippa: [Almost certainly a goner.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing? More importantly, ARE YOU ALIVE?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Alfy says:

I’m mostly alive. Although my wife says I’m not, she thinks playing some Combat Mission all weekend is the same as being 6 feet under…

zinzan says:

YES, YES, YES, YES
      Someone else who plays Combat Mission :)
      Playing my 6 PBeM games then probably some more XCOM and some cider appreciation.

2. Belsameth says:

Mostly Stardew Valley and Far Cry Primal, most likely. On PC at least. Also Powerpoint and Excel because work :(

3. barelyhomosapien says:

Black Desert Online. Which is threatening all my free time for the near future.

I might pick up Stardew Valley as everyone seems to be going mental for it too.

• Parrilla says:

Really tempted to get Black Desert but keep seeing people saying don’t bother it’ll be free in a month or two.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Saying that is a pretty standard procedure as far as MMOs go though, even without knowledge, even if often times it’s true.

This is a very different game however, and it’s hard to say. It’s expensive considering it’s B2P and the cash shop ain’t exactly cheap, but it’s also a game that cathers to the enthusiast rigs ( even if ultra scalable for the others ), and their owners tend to be big spenders.

Hell, my guild is full to the brim with 980ti cards, or people going like “Meh, i want a pink horse armor for all my alts, i’ll just drop 200 euro i guess”.

• barelyhomosapien says:

Hahaha, I have a 980ti. Not sure I’d buy any of the costumes, but it’s fun to be a bit lost and clueless in an MMO for a change, despite the guidance!

If anyone see’s this and there’s an RPS guild or a bunch of folk looking to play for fun/casually rage rthen uber seriously my characters family name is Bercaux on the jorind- something server!

• SyCo_Venom says:

I bought the 50 dollar option and sunk ten hours the first day. I doubt I spend anything on the ingame store but I like to support games I like and I feel like I will get more than my money’s worth.

It’s crazy and there is so much to do. Easy to get sucked in so be careful.

4. Agnosticus says:

Ultimate Chicken Horse! :D

Also some Door Kickers, Devil Deggars, and Renegade Ops

5. lowprices says:

I WILL

6. DanMan says:

It’s not very wise to point out you’re all alone at home. Go ask Kevin.

7. VeNT666 says:

Planetside 2! Call to arms tonight!

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m still here, and I’m playing Pillars of Eternity. Enjoying it much more with the “Story Time” super-easy mode.

heretic says:

Take a stab at finishing MGSV, and maybe some devil daggers – damn you Mister Penguin for being ahead of me!

10. klo3 says:

Dead, dead and dead again.

Or hollow to be precise. Currently in Dragon’s Sanctum.

11. Vincku says:

Looks like my weekend will be spent on Shakes & Fidget.

12. Patches the Hyena says:

A lot of XCOM EW until new laptop arrives for me to play 2. I’ll be checking out the Nuclear Throne Weekly too.

13. Marblecake says:

Lots of XCOM2 (that game just never seems to end!), a bit of Star Citizen now that Alpha 2.2 has been released, and hopefully some Star Wars Risk via Tabletop Simulator with my best friend who lives half a world away.

(Important note: Star Wars Risk is nothing like actual Risk and is in fact one of the best two-player boardgames I have ever played.)

• Marblecake says:

Oh, and tons of lasertag, since my brother opened my city’s first lasertag arena two weeks ago!!

• Agnosticus says:

I’m a little disappointed by Star Wars Risk, because the Luke vs. Vader part just plainly doesn’t work. It’s just not worth the bother if you only get 5 additional cards at the very end.

Sure, you could house rule it, but I like my games working out of the box.

• Marblecake says:

I agree that it matters little (I mean, you have to win the other two battles to win the game, Luke/Vader does not affect any of the game directly), and to be honest, I’ve only played it twice so far. But it’s definitely been worth it, because if you focus on LvD in the beginning, those 5 cards can give you a huge edge. Also…it feels so awesome. Throughout the game I can see the events unfolding as if they were an alternate movie – Luke dying at the hands of the emperor, Han failing, the rebel fleet being destroyed.

14. Morcane says:

Far Cry: Primal, my wife got it for me as a birthday present (bless her) and I’m quite enjoying it.

It certainly has its flaws, but I don’t really get all the criticism either. Like the criticism it’s another Far Cry game. Yea, it’s even in the title.

Since there’s actual single player content, it’s already way beyond all the crappy early access alpha survival games.

For the rest I’m still debating whether to get Black Desert – I enjoyed the beta immensely, but have no time for an MMORPG….

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“Like the criticism it’s another Far Cry game. Yea, it’s even in the title.”

Hah! Well played.

• Unsheep says:

Yeah I agree, its bizarre how people reason. Wouldn’t you want or expect Far Cry stuff in a Far Cry game ?

Every franchise has game design features that distinguish it from other franchises: the tactical combat of Dark Souls, the platforming in Assassin’s Creed, the huge open-worlds of a Fallout game and so on.

So is it really that strange, and wrong, to find features we’ve come to associate with a Far Cry game in this new one ?

And why is it OK for franchises like Dark Souls and Fallout to maintain features from their previous games, while its not OK for franchises like Far Cry.

Is it because its an FPS franchise I have to wonder ? Media certainly don’t complain about things like ‘originality’ and ‘innovation’ when it comes to Fantasy games and RPGs.

I also think media has focused on the wrong things. Instead of looking at the things that make Primal truly unique, they only seem to have noticed the things that are familiar.

For the record, I think Primal is one of the most unique games ever to be released. I can’t think of a game that offers a similar kind of experience, and I’ve been gaming for 25 years.

• malkav11 says:

I think it’s because it’s an Ubisoft franchise, and for whatever reason people have decided everything they make is slight variations on the same formula. Personally I’m not sure they’re completely wrong (though Ubisoft has also done some of the most experimental game releases in recent years of any of the major publishers) but I don’t mind that when I enjoy the formula and in their case I do.

• fish99 says:

Blame the original Assassins Creed, which was fun but extremely repetitive, like the same 5 type of activities replicated almost exactly across all the cities with few unique crafted missions. There are also a staggering amount of AC games.

15. Blackcompany says:

Currently on Hiatus from Elite: Dangerous: Horizons: Too Many Colons. Probably pending the next update, but we shall see.

In the meantime, diving back into Warframe after a loooong break. And I have to say that the folks from the Rock Paper Shotgun Warframe Clan are among the finest I have ever encountered in all my time gaming across numerous mediums. And then some. As evidenced by my two month long break and simultaneous retention of Clan Member status, as well as their helpful, jovial attitudes.

Sure its a grindy game, but Warframe is hard to beat for moment to moment fun. And playing it coop as always adds heaps of enjoyment.

When not engaging in Cybernetic Ninja warfare I will mostly like either drive trucks of either the Euro or American variety (Nevada in ATS really DOES seem more like Fallout than, well, Fallout) or give Out There another go on that little square thing with the touch screen.

Whatever way you choose to pass the time enjoy!

16. Fersken says:

Been replaying old(er) games recently, just finished the Serious Sam games again. Now I’m not so sure what to start. I still can’t strafe left in workshop mode in Fallout 4, so fuck that. Just Cause 3 runs slow on my computer, hopefully it’ll get fixed in the future. I really regret getting those, and I can’t refund them because reasons.

XCom 2 sounds fun, but I’ll wait until it is finished and below $10. I got Tales from the Borderlands sitting in my backlog, but I don’t have the Pre-Sequel (or whatever it’s called). Does it matter if I’ve not played that one?

Or maybe replay Shadow Warrior? I still got Shadow of Mordor (and many others) unplayed in my backlog….

• welverin says:

The Presequel is not at all important to Tales From the Borderlands.

I’d recommend Shadow of Mordor.

• malkav11 says:

I think Athena is from the Pre-Sequel. But I thoroughly enjoyed Tales and have yet to play the Pre-Sequel, so you’re not wrong, really.

• Xocrates says:

Technically, Athena first appears in a DLC for the first one (General Knoxx), though the one in Tales is very much the one from Pre-sequel.

I think Janey Springs is the only Pre-Sequel character to actually show up in tales.

Honestly, you could probably get 90% of the references in Tales just by playing Borderlands 2 and its DLCs.

• Jac says:

I’ve never played a borderlands game but still hugely enjoyed the Tales game so just jump right in.

Captain Narol says:

Shadow of Mordor is a hell of fun, it’s a no-brainer !

17. thekelvingreen says:

Mostly alive, although I got up late after playing the Dune board game until 3ish.

I’m probably playing more board games today, and Games Workshop has just released a genestealer cult board game, so I’ll be buying that — although probably not playing it as I’ll need to put together the wee alien men first — today too.

On the PC? Probably nothing today, sorry.

18. kament says:

I’m only mostly dead, so I can speak. Am playing Superhot this weekend, most likely.

19. Parrilla says:

Feel like playing an MMO so going to give Wildstar one last chance.

caff says:

I went to a beer festival yesterday so life signs here are minimal.

I shall probably start a new Dwarf Fortress because Dwarf Fortress.

Oakreef says:

Plan on breaking out my copy of Space Hulk (board game, not computer game) for the first time

22. mrvega says:

Bit of Rocket League with the mates. We had some incredibly strong competition last night playing 3-person competitive mode. Felt like the serious teams were out in force preparing for the upcoming season/tournament. Bloody fliers!

Also have the Hitman beta to continue, which is decent from what I’ve tried so far. Plus a bit of Heavy Rain, which just came to (ahem) PS4.

23. Unsheep says:

Saturday is all about rally for me:
    WRC 5 – I’m coming after you Ogier !
    Sebastien Loeb Rally – heading down under to Australia.
    Dirt Rally – gonna try some rallycross for the first time.

This last year has simply been fantastic if you genuinely love rally racing, with three very distinct rally games, each one with unique features the other two are missing.

Sunday is all about relaxing:
    Stasis, Legends of Eisenwald and continue my Men of War replay.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m earnestly continuing my first play-through of Dragon Age: Origins. I mentioned last weekend that the awful console version put me off this series for years, but a recent pang for “the Bioware feel” led me to give the PC version a chance. A week ago, I was pleasantly surprised with how much better it played with M&KB, and since then it has won me over even more. I’m invested enough now that I even sought out the “Ultimate” version so that I could play the DLC.

The scope of the world, and how well it’s been realised, has been a pleasant surprise. There are plenty of well-worn fantasy tropes, sure, but there’s a quality and care to the writing and the visual design that’s easy to appreciate — and just enough subversion to keep things interesting. Mechanically, it’s pretty sound, too. It can be clunky in places, but holds up far better overall than I expected it to, even after being spoiled by the likes of the Witcher 3’s open world and criss-crossing narrative path. I also feared that the combat might be a bit of a slog but I’m genuinely having fun with it. It’s a bit more streamlined, but the Baldur’s Gate DNA is definitely present.

So yeah, I had previously gotten it into my head that Dragon Age was a second-rate, b-team diversion, while Bioware’s “true” focus was Mass Effect. It’s nice to find out that this isn’t the case (at least with Origins). I’ll even go as far and say that it’s pretty much everything I’d hoped Neverwinter Nights was going to be, back in the day :)

P.S. I’ve already written too much, but wanted to mention that BLOOOOD motif used in the marketing and the box art. I’ve always thought it to be a tad juvenile and it certainly didn’t help with my pre-conceptions about the depth of the game! Was it an attempt to attract a more mainstream console crowd?

Vandelay says:

The marketing for DA: Origins was notoriously bad. They even went as far as using “This is the New Shit” during a trailer (an unforgivable choice, even though I quite like some Mason.) I never thought much of the actual game, but it was infinitely better than the marketing.

• mpk says:

One day I’ll return to this game, but I haven’t played since a HDD mishap cost me my save game, 42 hours in…

• malkav11 says:

I’ve always preferred the Dragon Age games (even the notoriously lackluster second game) to the Mass Effect games, myself. I just wish for both series that they’d taken note of what worked about the first games and taken them further in those directions instead of what we ultimately got. I’ll admit that by Mass Effect 3 the new version of combat in that series was better than the first go-round, but the same certainly can’t be said of Dragon Age. And there are some other weird divergences. Oh well.

• Horg says:

You should be made aware that there are hundreds of mods available at the DA nexus, including the community bug fix patch and my personal favorite, extra dog slot. It gives you a pseudo 5th party slot that can only be occupied by dog, and while dog is thematically awesome but fairly under powered, you tend to not use him otherwise. Extra dog slot feels like the way dog should have been implemented.

25. aircool says:

American Truck Driver. I’ve just bought a Logitech G29 which makes the game even more fun.

• aircool says:

Simulator damnit!

• Unsheep says:

Adding a racing wheel really elevates any kind of driving and racing game, it adds a whole new dimension to it. The Logitech G29 is really good, I’ve used it on both my PC and my PS4.

You can certainly play games like ATS and ETS2 with a gamepad, the button mapping is a bit tricky to get right but it still works really well.

However most games get more enjoyable and fun when you add some extra peripheral to it, racing wheels, flight sticks and so on.

So yeah, happy truckin’, its a great game.

26. zxcasdqwecat says:

I’M ALIVE. Playin’ nothing tho.

Vandelay says:

I am always amazed reading this all the different things people play from week to week. I am still playing Bloodborne (which means I am also dead many times over.)

To be fair, I’ve hardly played it this week. I did manage to defeat the Wet Nurse, with the assistance of a human summon. It wasn’t too bad a fight without, but kept getting caught during fog section. With the human summon we beat her before she could even do that. I also cleared out lots of the blood river area with the two AI summons that are towards the boss fight. Some juicy items around there and looking forward to giving the whirling saw weapon a go.

Really getting psyched for DS3 now. I don’t think I will be able to wait for the inevitable DLC.

john_silence says:

Isn’t it cruel? They play so many fine games! I barely have time for anything with literally dozens of backlog games. But you’re playing Bloodborne so you like cruel, I’d bet – you know the game will kick your ass if you so much as look at any other.

I’m getting started on AssCreed: Syndicate and it’s a fine piece of work so far.

28. Sin Vega says:

I’m going to spend the weekend playing…. no! You! But – aaiiieee!

29. Mud says:

80 years ago the Spitfire made her maiden flight so I’m gonna play BoB 2 to celebrate this.

Dorga says:

I pray for Horace’s protection

• Horg says:

I been wantin’ a word wiv you bout that. Mr. ‘Orace don’t take kindly to been paid in ‘prayers’. Protection is serious bisnis, some nasty customers round ‘ere. Can’t say what might ‘appen if you don’t pay…..wouldn’t want to end up like John now would we…..

31. RedViv says:

After suffering through eight hours of noro-tastic fun times tonight, I shall take it slow and play Stardew Valley a bunch.
    I missed my chance to play Devil Daggers while running at 41°C, damn it.

particlese says:

Particlese is no longer with us. We have a strong suspicion that— erm… Devil Daggers is responsible.

33. eocar89 says:

I won’t probably have much time to play, but I plan to spend the next couple of hours playing a myltyplayer campaign on Europa Universalis 4 with some friends. Then what about tomorrow? Yesterday I saw the new warhammer total war gameplay video about the dwarves, and no I want to spend some time playing total war games. I will spend some time on Napoleon, as it is the one I played less, then a good mod of Medieval 2, my favourite one!

34. dangermouse76 says:

Fallout 4 just now. But I got thief gold in a sale. So very tempted by that.

Herzog says:

Spelunky – The quest for the city of gold continues. Most of the time the quest ends in the jungle. Damn tiki traps. Or damn frogs pushing me into tiki traps.

Downwell – I am getting used to stage 4. Reached the boss for the second time today, but again only with one health left. Soon….

Finished first act of Kentucky Route Zero. Are there challenging puzzles upcoming? Never have been much of an adventure gamer, but so far I am clicking through without any hassle. Nice mood though and good writing. Guess that’s what is about?

• malkav11 says:

I’ve only played the first episode but I think it’s a game entirely about the narrative and the atmosphere, yeah.

36. cairbre says:

I just played GTAV and Far Cry 4. Tempted by Far Cry Primal but keep telling myself you have enough games finish some of them first.

37. GWOP says:

Aww, when she asked whether any of us are alive, no one should have posted anything.

38. Sarfrin says:

I will be playing the Dying Light demo in preparation for when the inexorably approaching hordes of Walkering Dead reach my neighbourhood.

• Agnosticus says:

Just get in a buggy with some gauze and alcohol and you’ll be fine!

39. Phantasma says:

Tried Stardew Valley but it didn’t really klick yet. I can see the magic behind the curtain but i’m strangely resistant to it.

Then impulse-bought Planetbase despite the middling reviews and the dozens of forum posts concerned about the bad colonist AI.
    Though there are areas where your people could and should act much more intelligently, a slow and careful approach solved almost every obstacle the game threw at me so far.
    I guess it’s just the mentality i am more familiar with.
    Like with Banished, people bitched that it was so hard and unforgiving but for me it was just a relaxing breeze through it.
    I guess the two are cases where rushing to certain goals and trying to shortcut the inner clockworks just doesn’t work.
    But i haven’t broken the 100 population barrier yet, maybe everything just falls apart after that. Let’s see.

Yyve says:

Stardew Valley for me. Just one.more.day…

41. Heliocentric says:

I think I heard John, in disused rail tunnel chb ft – gift hbijou nyx

42. GomezTheChimp says:

Swat4, Offshore Trading Company, and if I feeling particularly sado-masochistic, Dirt:Rally

43. JoeCoastie says:

I will definitely be playing more of Order of Battle: Pacific. It is my solemn vow to myself to beat the New Georgia mission… so many soldiers lost.
    I also just picked up Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front and will be learning the ropes. It looks excellent and I’m really looking forward to digging in.

44. Geebs says:

Platinum should make all of the games, apart from From games.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Vanquish was Shinji Mikami so you should probably add Tango Gameworks to that list.

Captain Narol says:

80 days (so well written, a delight) and still Mordheim (got addicted, I guess). Maybe a little of War Thunder if I have some time left in-between…

Getting more and more hyped on No Man’s Sky, however, despise the price, as I feel in the mood to go explore the whole universe and meet new lifeforms !!

46. RimRider says:

Stardew Valley. That’s it. It’s all I thought about for the last 4 days…

My son loves it too, so we have to share playtime and it’s killing me! I’ve never looked forward to his bedtime quite so much as I have this week!

47. Det. Bullock says:

Either continuing Outcast 1.1 (it’s nice finally being able to play it at 1280×1024 without slowing down to a crawl) or trying to farm the last rare weapon in Dark Souls.

48. malkav11 says:

I suspect there will be more movie-watching and reading Words of Radiance than playing videogames, but I definitely intend to play more Pillars of Eternity. I’m a little skeptical that it’s as meaty as some people have claimed (I already seem to be meaningfully into chapter 2 and I’ve only played maybe 12 hours on this run, while having scoured every single area bare of interaction on the way), but frankly, I don’t need my RPGs to be multi-hundred hour epics these days. If it’s relatively short I’d be much more likely to actually finish. All to the good, I say.

Might dip some into Mad Max, too (still plugging along, still loving it), or Grim Dawn, or some Marvel Heroes (Green Goblin just released as a playable character and I got the advance pack so I’ve got him). Having finished Firewatch I kind of feel like tackling another celebrated storygame sort of thing but haven’t decided on one yet – might get back to Kentucky Route Zero, say, or tackle Read Only Memories, or… I dunno. I’ve got bunches.

49. fish99 says:

Still Zelda-ing it up with WW HD, OoT (3DS) and ALBW (3DS). Done the first part of restoring the Master Sword in WW.

Also I’ve decided that I’ve forgotten enough of Dishonored for a 2nd playthrough so I’ll start that this week. I did try a high chaos playthough recently but gave up very quickly after deciding the story didn’t make sense and the game wasn’t fun played that way, so it’ll be stealth again like my first playthrough. I fired up an old save yesterday and … the game is just dripping in atmosphere, especially in stereo 3D.

50. Luciferous says:

I’m going to be figuring out how I’m going to structure a YT Let’s Play of Black Desert