Overwatch Out In May, If Leaks Are To Be Believed

A somewhat rare dabbler as I am in the arena of getting repeatedly murderised by strangers, I was under the errant impression that everyone except me was already playing Overwatch [official site], Blizzard’s first foray into online manshoots. Actually it doesn’t morph into an any’n’everyone open beta until May 3, and won’t get a full release until May 24. At least, that’s what a briefly-appearing advert on IGN claims. The ad was swiftly scorched from the site, but not before The Internet did its thing.

A Spring release has seemed likely for a while, Blizzard having bandied that around as a planned release date since last year and confirming to Eurogamer that this was still their intention just last month. It’s actually fairly rare that Blizz will be drawn on a release date that far ahead of time, which suggests they’ve tackled Overwatch’s development with military precision – if these May dates are to be believed.

‘Twas Reddit user Deadpoolthegreat who was mindful enough to grab a screenshot of the ads when they so briefly cropped up on IGN. While there isn’t any official confirmation as yet, it’s not screaming hoax at me: it’s not like this is a scorching zinger of a scoop given how long Overwatch has been a fairly known quantity for.

Anyway: May 3 beta, May 24 full release, if these are on the money. I am looking forwards to sticking my head above Overwatch’s parapet, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have a better time when it’s open to the world rather than the invariably super-committed’n’skilled few in the closed beta. Though I do remain grumpy that a term traditionally associated with turn-based strategy has been co-opted for bouncy twitchy real-time murderfun.

From this site

1. Choca says:

You can’t trust fucking vegetables on release dates, man.

2. Tigg_Fedora says:

“Though I do remain grumpy that a term traditionally associated with turn-based strategy has been co-opted for bouncy twitchy real-time murderfun.”

They’ll only ever be one Overwatch for me too – one which is either carving up a squad of ADVENT in a perfectly planned ambush or totally failing to take out a Faceless who then swipes at your best guy, simultaneously destroying the car they were next to in a catastrophic fireball and sending everyone nearby to the memorial wall (Not that I’m BITTER or anything).

• Foosnark says:

There is only one Overwatch for me too.

Individual, you are charged with socio-endangerment level one. Protection units prosecution code: duty, sword, midnight.

3. Kitsunin says:

Sounds about right, the latest dev video mentioned releasing in Spring, I think. It’d be nice to have gotten the chance to try before I buy…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Call me crazy, but seeing as how there is literally an advertisement for Overwatch on this page right now that says it is being released on May 24th, you are probably correct.

5. fish99 says:

Good to hear there’s going to be an open beta since I’m not willing to buy this without first playing it. It might not be fun playing with randoms (i.e. with no strategy), and it might get dull quick.

• Kitsunin says:

Ooooh that ad says “pre-order for open-beta early access” presumably meaning it is a proper open beta allowing non-purchasers in too, just not as early.

Good catch! Or at least, good not-immediately-assuming-the-worst.

6. Fropp says:

Is May in spring?

• Kitsunin says:

I thought March, April, May were Spring. Considering we only just had our first warm week in Taiwan that seems almost uncannily the case.

7. BenMS says:

I got an email this morning confirming all of the information above. 24th May street date, Open Beta on the 3rd May, access to the Open Beta if you pre-order on any platform.