Skave Survival: Vermintide’s Last Stand Mode Released

Here’s the thing: I recognise that Måns Zelmerlöw’s Heroes was probably the best Eurovision song in last year’s contest, but it wasn’t the best song. Are you, reader dear, listening to Heroes regularly? Exactly. Yet I’m still giving Rhythm Inside by Belgium’s Loïc Nottet plenty of play and- oh fine, I’ll skip to the point.

Fantasy FPS Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide [official site] today launched its wave survival mode ‘Last Stand’ in a free update, and Swedish devs Fatshark have celebrated that with a trailer set to Heroes. Hey, you, it’s not May 2015 anymore.

Last Stand mode is the usual wave survival dealio: you (and your chums) try to stay alive for as long as you can while increasingly tough hordes of monsters keep flooding in. Points mean prizes, I’m sure you know, as well as funsies. That’s it. It’s a wave survival mode.

The mode arrives for free, but with only one map. ‘The Town’ is “set in the Von Jungfreudsplatz in central Ubersreik,” Fatshark say. I don’t know what those words mean, which is very Eurovision. If you want more places to die, you can buy the Schluesselschloss map (gesundheit!) for £1.99/$2.99/€2.99 on Steam. Folks who own the DLC can invite their pals to play on the map even if they don’t own. I thought one map seemed stingy when Fatshark announced it, but I suppose I was comparing them to Left 4 Dead and Valve – a company with far deeper pockets.

Anyway, here’s the trailer with a song which shouldn’t be heard now.

“I listened to the song while driving, and I kept picturing the Vermintide heroes in front of me,” Rikard Blomberg, CFO of Fatshark, said in a press release. “It was simply the perfect song for a trailer.”

BELGIUM WUZ ROBBED!

For readers outside Europe wondering what Eurovision even is, watching Ireland’s 1996 entry My Lovely Horse should help you understand:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

yhancik says:

My Lovely Horse was, naturally, co-written by Neil Hannon from The Divine Comedy <3 link to youtube.com

• Shinard says:

*Australia was probably the best entry in 2015, depressingly, considering they’re not even European. What I wouln’t give for an edit function…

• Darth Gangrel says:

Being Swedish I of course wanted Sweden to win, even though it had only been 3 years since Euphoria with Loreen won. The best part of hosting Eurovision is that no one is expecting your country to win again, so you can send whatever and just be like “come what may”. The final of the Swedish contest (4 semifinals, 1 runners up heat, 1 final – this is serious business!) is airing on Saturday, which probably is to “blame” for the song choice in this trailer.

2. thebigJ_A says:

I’m an American and not even the horse thing helped me understand

• Apologised says:

Try watching the rest of Father Ted.

I’m not saying it’ll help you understand, I’m just saying you should watch the rest of Father Ted.

3. Okami says:

What an awful song.
    Not the one about the horse. That one is brilliant.

Oakreef says:

My Lovely Horse is still actually better than the songs from when we sent Jedward or Dustin, sadly.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are those words meant to be pronounced or is it just fantasy gobbeldy goop?

Qazinsky says:

They do look pretty German to be honest. I am not exactly fluent in German but if I had to guess what they mean (without googling, because that makes it funnier):

Jungfreudsplatz = ChildHappyPlace
      Ubersreik = OverKingdom
      Schluesselschloss = No clue

• Sian says:

The words look like someone looked up German words and haphazardly slapped them together. As a native speaker, this is what I make of them:

Jungfreudsplatz – “Platz” in this context is a square, like Trafalgar Square or Times Square. This is either the Square of Young Happiness, a square named after someone called Jung Freud, a square named after a young person named Freud, or a square named after famed psychologists Jung and Freud. You never know what references people put into their works.

Ubersreik is pure nonsense, at least in German. Now, I know its part of Reikland, so presumably it’s named after that in some way, but it still makes no sense whatsoever. The closest equivalent to reik would be reich or Reich, so a literal translation would be either Uber-rich in Richland or Uber-realm in Realmland, with uber being your usual imported superlative taken from the German über.

Schluesselschloss is the castle of keys, presumably, or the lock of keys, but the former makes more sense. There’s also the Schlüssel-Schloss-Prinzip, the lock and key model of how enzymes supposedly fit together, but I doubt they meant that.

Qazinsky says:

I was thinking of key, honest, I wasn’t sure enough to guess that though. Apart from having taken some basic classes in German many years ago in school, I am also Swedish and it’s surprising how many words that is similar between the two languages. Plats is Swedish for place, Fröjd seems to correspond well to Freud and Rike and Reich.

Thanks for clearing up the actual German meaning.

• Sian says:

I was half afraid of coming across as pedantic, to be honest. However, languages are my passion, and I like to share it where I can.

Swedish, by the way, is a language I’d like to learn. Swedish or Norwegian, anyway. Haven’t decided yet. As I understand it, Swedes and Norwegians are somewhat able to communicate with each other in their native tongues, which I find utterly fascinating.

Qazinsky says:

Swedes, Norwegians and Danes can actually communicate pretty well amongst each other with their own languages. Swedes and Danes can understand Norwegian. Norwegians and Danes can understand Swedish. Not even other Danes understand Danish.

• thewalkingderp says:

The Names are defo german inspired. Reikland and Ubersreik indeed don’t make sense, but they could just be names. Names a words don’t make sense either, it’s just the context that makes em make sense. So if you look at those in the context of warhammer they’re simply names (you forgot to mention a meaning of Reich – as in 3rd Reich or empire I think if anything it’s referring to that).
          Jungfreudsplatz is indeed a square named after Count Sigismund von Jungfreud afaik – so again a name that makes sense in a WH context.
          Schlüsselschloss is the castle guarding the pass through the Grey Mountains which connects Bretonnia and Reikland or rather Ubersreik. Schlüssel = key, Schloss = castle so basically the name means the castle is the key to that pass.

So yes a lot of names in Warhammer or rather in the Empire are german inspired some of them are actual german. Theres towns that are called after actual german towns and cities, so you might just as well say the Empire of Man speaks german xD

• Dave Damage says:

I know of some german Warhammer P&P-Groups that even use german dialects to distinguish the various Imperial Provinces and some of the major races. (Elves for example would speak Wiener Schmäh) while Dwarves sounded swiss. The only thing that never fitted was the orcish cockney.

• Sian says:

@thewalkingderp: I know we’ve both been corrected already, but I did mention the meaning of Reich: realm. The Third Reich is just the same, but nobody ever translates it.

@Dave Damage: Really, Austrian elves? That’s absolutely hillarious! I can see Swiss dwarves, kinda.

• theblazeuk says:

The Reik is the big river that runs through the Empire. Think more ‘Rhine’ than ‘Reich’. Reikland is the capital area of the Empire.

It’s not German, it’s Warhammer :)

• thewalkingderp says:

Didn’t even think of that xD

• Sian says:

As I said: Someone looked up some German words and slapped them together. :p

• zonemind says:

To be “fair” to Fatshark, that’s what the designers of Warhammer did with their English, too. (And also their statistical analyses of cumulative probability.)