Overwatch Due Out May 24th, Open Beta May 5th

As pranks go, paying a big website to run an advert detailing incorrect dates for a game’s open beta and proper launch would be an expensive and silly one. I recognise that not everyone shares my sense of humour, but I was pretty certain that the dates in an ad for Overwatch [official site] were leaked early and not a bundle of japery. But, offering more evidence that my humour judgments are absolute, Blizzard last night confirmed that their multiplayer FPS will enter open beta on May 5 (earlier for pre-orderers) ahead of a May 24th launch. An official announcement also means new official moving pictures to watch.

See, look, here’s a Blizzard blog post about Overwatch coming on May 24th and another one about beta dates. Unfortunately, the May 3rd beta date in that leaked advert is for folks who pre-order (or are the one special friend given access by someone who did – pre-orders get a spare code). They call it “early access to the Open Beta” which is… that’s not… those words aren’t right. They’re not the right words. That’s not really an open beta, is it.

The pre-order open beta early access will be May 3-4, then the actual open beta will run May 5-9. You won’t need to pre-order or know anyone who pre-ordered or anything to play from the 5th, just sign up.

Overwatch, if you’ve missed all the fuss, is a multiplayer FPS from Warcraft and StarCraft gang Blizzard. It’s a class-based shooter, with each character having their own unique weapons and abilities. Here, Pip’s played the beta a bit and she’s also interviewed designer Geoff Goodman about it.

Here’s a new trailer celebrating the release date announcement:

Annnd here’s game director Jeff Kaplan gabbing about the beta:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. zeep says:

Looking forward to it!
    I think that this game may bring back that type of fun i had when i played TF2 in the beginning. Before it became a billboard with flashy things and dancing hats.

• Carra says:

Looking forward to it to for the same reasons. Haven’t spent much time with an FPS since TF2 came out. Maybe this will change that?

• SyCo_Venom says:

Ya I need something in a shooter more than what counter strike has to offer, which when i was playing it was fine. I am really happy that they will have an open beta before launch…….. shooters for me all about how they feel.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Alice, the “dates in an ad” link goes to this article instead of the one from a day or two ago.

3. Eschwen says:

For those of you in the beta, how much MOBA-style play is there? From watching the videos I don’t see many elements that I consider hallmarks of the MOBA genre (creeps, towers, lanes, pick/ban, etc), and yet a lot of comments I’ve read seem to indicate that there is something MOBA-ish about the game. Thoughts?

• GarbageDonkey says:

At least, not really.

It’s a first person shooter first and foremost.

Instead of weapon load-outs you have characters with unique skills / playstyles. The gametypes are things you’d be used to if you’ve played TF2, though Overwatch does a better job at having mutli-gametype maps (my own opinion).

I’m not sure why so many people think that this is moba-like, but I do hope that they find out before they buy it and feel cheated!

Beyond that, for a first person shooter, it’s one of the most enjoyable games I’ve had a chance to play in many years.

• Eschwen says:

Thanks! I sort of suspected that, so it’s good to get confirmation. It looks fun regardless, so I’ll certainly be firing it up during the open beta period.

4. Smoky_the_Bear says:

Interesting tactic, make the game free for a couple of weeks then lock it off to those who haven’t payed. I wonder how many people are just gonna play it to the point of exhaustion while it’s free, burn themselves out and skip paying for it?