Day Of The Tentacle Remastered Due March 22nd

Day of the Tentacle Remastered [official site], the redrawn (or not) re-release of the classic 1993 LucasArts adventure game, will come out on March 22nd. That’s the latest word from Double Fine Productions, the folks who are revamping it (and whose head honch Tim Schafer co-directed, co-designed, and co-wrote all those years ago). It’s been a good few years since I played DotT, so I’m curious to revisit it.

That remastering, then. Double Fine have whipped up new high-resolution artwork, sprinkled with remastered music and sound effects. But if you want to see it the old way, rest assured that Double Fine say “Players are able to switch back and forth between classic and remastered modes, and mix and match audio, graphics and user interface to their heart’s desire.”

I’m not sure which party I’m in. The new art has less personality to my eyes. I don’t tend to be nostalgic about pixel art either (or art, as it was then called). But hey, the main good thing is that Day of the Tentacle will be readily and legitimately available to folks who fancy it.

It’ll cost £10.99/$14.99 when it arrives on March 22nd, initially for Windows. “Mac and Linux versions of Day of the Tentacle Remastered will arrive fashionably late, but they are still coming…” Double Fine said on Twitter.

Here, have a look at the new art in motion:

From this site

1. Napalm Sushi says:

I think what sticks in the craw for a lot of people is that the re-mastering kind of comes across as a denial of pixel art as a legitimate art form, though the ability to readily switch between “early ’90s pixel art” and “late ’90s Cartoon Network” suggests that probably isn’t the intention (and in this case the art choice was mandated by the technology of the time).

• Ancient Evil says:

Given that it’s been established for some time now that the original, untouched graphics and sound will be fully available, every time I hear someone whine bitterly about the new art I want to punch something.

There’s this weird streak in gaming / nerd communities in general where many people feel quite strongly that it’s not enough to have plenty of things that cater to their own tastes – that it’s also some kind of moral imperative to advocate that nothing be created that caters to people with different tastes.

It’s so unbelievably irrational and childish. I’m not a psychologist or psychiatrist but it’s seriously maladjusted and I’d really like to be able to understand the thought process where people are able to justify this to themselves as a reasonable position.

• LionsPhil says:

You are a very angry person.

The new art is lousy, because they have increased the presentational detail (the resolution), without increasing the actual artistic detail. The awkward mismatch means it now looks flatter, and the animations jankier, like a Flash game.

It’s not really a hard concept that some people may not like this, and feel it diminishes a classic.

• Ancient Evil says:

Then simply play the game with the original graphics, and let the people who disagree with you play with the new graphics. My point wasn’t that it’s wrong to prefer the original version, to prefer it strongly even, but rather that I vehemently object to this pernicious control-freakery where people feel that their tastes should be everybody’s tastes, or else a grave injustice has been done.

At the end of the day it stems from the same dark impulses that drives groups like Gamergate to loathe games like Gone Home with such intensity. It’s not like anyone is forcing them to buy or play those kind of games, it’s the mere fact that they don’t personally like it, and yet it exists, that eats at them endlessly.

It’s not really a hard concept.

Risingson says:

Hitler.

Here, conversation ended.

• unacom says:

Well, that´s a problem that has been troubling mankind from the beginning of art.
            One can trace this kind of dispute from ancient to modernist architecture and beyond.
            It´s a discussion that rages especially in context to preservation of buildings. And worse in context to reconstruction of destroyed architecture. So it´s rather not “Him of Austria” but human.
            And probably it´s a culturally necessary kind of dispute. However nasty, dumb and immature…

• jrodman says:

People engaging in critique of the remaster are not necessarily attempting to deny the reality of different opinions. Some of them are, of course, but so are some people who will thoughtless express that higher resolution art is always better.

Yes, attempts to devaluate the opinions of others are so incredibly tedious, but lumping that together with actual critique is too.

That’s *aside* from the fact that it may be pretty uncontroversial to state that a remaster is poorly done. I haven’t looked at this one in practice, but for example the Monkey Island 1 remaster was not very well made. If someone prefers to play the not-well-made higher resolution art, that’s a completely valid choice, and it doesn’t anger if someone makes that choice. Making this uncontroversial comment doesn’t mean that I’m a hating choice denier.

Also, Hitler.

• ansionnach says:

The original’s vastly superior as it’s much smaller – came on six floppy disks if I remember correctly. Even the CD version would take up much less space on your hard drive.

Marclev says:

“LionsPhil”, hate to break it to you, but you just proved “Ancient Evil”‘s point.

• Yachmenev says:

Great post. It seems a lot of people very quickly forgot to thankful that someone actually made an effort and managed to rescue these games from the Disney limbo and make them available for us again.

2. Banks says:

I think It looks so much better this way and I wish Grim Fandango had received the same treatment instead of just upscaling low res backgrounds.

caff says:

Trouble was, the original Grim Fandango was a mish-mash of 3D/2D, probably the main reason it was so incompatible for so many years.

I do agree though, they could have done Grim properly by re-doing the whole thing, but that would have been a been a huge project.

• Robmonster says:

I’m playing the Remastered Grim Fandango at the moment. The 3d models have been redone and I think the original background art still works very well.

The whle thing is very playable

3. Legion23 says:

Is there any word if you can still play the originial Maniac Mansion from within the game too?

• LionsPhil says:

Sheesh, look at the signs in the room in that banner image and tell me the new graphics aren’t, at best, a touched-up version of an automatic upscaler. On one of them they didn’t even fix the aliasing.

caff says:

Not sure if this is a joke, but I think some of that is deliberate. I don’t think the upscaling effort hasn’t simply been a process of batch conversion.

However, judging by the SOUND fx, it does sound like the original samples have been run through a batch smoothing/scaling process where-in they sound cleaner but more muffled. So yes I think there have been a few shortcuts taken..

Still, I love the game, and this is a must play for me.

• carewolf says:

Well there are three signs, one is obviously done with pixelated nearest-neighbour upscaling, one with h2qx upscaling and one with bilinear upscaling complete with aliasing. So they did put some effort into it, they atleast had fun using a lot of different scalers on the same background :D

4. Freud says:

Sometimes you don’t know how games age, but I feel confident in saying Day of the Tentacle will still be a fantastic game. Wickedly funny and the puzzles are well designed.

Risingson says:

Ok, I cannot understand how people complain so much about the graphics… when they have done THAT to the music. In my AWE32 it sounded miles better than … than…. that.

Cmon, with just a bit of effort you can make the brass sound a bit more brassy.

6. Unsheep says:

Day of the Tentacle was *my* Monkey Island, I never got into the latter but the former was a big part of my early years of gaming.
    This is most definitely on the top of my shopping list for March.
    I’ll probably replay the game with the Classic view first, since I do prefer the original look.

Risingson says:

BTW, you people that talk about replay and so on… don’t you do a replay of classic adventures from time to time? Am I the only one that used to play each of the Lucas classics at least once every two years, just to enjoy the flow of them again?

• wraithgr says:

Absolutely, like re-reading a favorite book or re-watching a favorite film. I’m pretty sure if I spent enough time thinking about it I could write out the DotT walkthrough from memory

7. GallonOfAlan says:

Still the best and funniest fir my money.

8. polecat says:

+1. That’s the story here – it was lost and now is found. Hallelujah. Although I revisited it in my late teens and I don’t think it has aged as well as Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. I remember the puzzles being great, but I think I found the script, theme and some voices uncomfortably kiddy-focused – the 90s Cartoon Network comparison could be made on a number of levels. When I first played it I thought it was the bees’ knees and it was so innovative then, obviously.

• polecat says:

This was meant to be a reply to ‘they rescued it from Disney limbo’ after the rather involved art style thread…

9. ResonanceCascade says:

I think it looks great. I really don’t get the complaints. Day of the Tentacle never had “pixel art,” it had low resolution cartoon art. Now it has…medium resolution cartoon art. It looks exactly how I always imagined it was supposed to look in the 90’s.

Also, this is easily in the top 5 best adventure games of all time. Really looking forward to playing it again.

10. pabrams says:

At the end there’s a video… the article introduces the video with the words “Here, have a look at the new art in motion:”, but the art in the video looks exactly the same as the original art. What’s going on? The article says that the new art doesn’t have as much personality, but it looks exactly the same, therefore it has the exact same amount of personality, doesn’t it?