Rising Thunder Cancelled As Riot Games Buy Developer

Riot Games, developers of League of Legends, have acquired Radiant Entertainment, makers of online fighting game Rising Thunder. This means that the open alpha for Rising Thunder is permanently closing on March 18th, while development of their block-based top-down terribly-named town builder Stonehearth “will go on, full speed ahead.”

This was all announced in a short post on the Radiant Entertainment site, in which they also say that the Rising Thunder “team will start work on a new game that we’re incredibly excited about. We wish we could say more now, but rest assured you’ll hear more when the time is right.” The language was originally softer regarding the fate of Rising Thunder itself, but was updated last night to add that important “permanently closing” bit.

Which doesn’t sound too good if you were enjoying the fighting game. I’m not sure how many players it had, but it got a lot of early attention because it had a lot of “one-button” moves instead of relying on complicated combos, and because its designer was Seth Killian, who worked at Capcom on the development of Street Fighter IV.

I’m less familiar with Stonehearth, presumably because I read its name and wilted like a flower till the following spring. It looks cute though, like Banished by way of Minecraft’s art and with Cthulhu monsters, and it received six-times its target when on Kickstarter back in 2013.

To idly speculate with zero information, I’m going to guess that the new game that the Rising Thunder team are working on is a similar fighting game, but one which fits within the League of Legends universe. It’ll be called CraftWar or Ill Diablo or Blizzard All-Stars or something.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

what’s wrong with the name stonehearth?

• Zankman says:

Yeah, I don’t get it. It’s fine.

• CallMeIshmael says:

Mainly it’s because of its great similarity to Hearthstone, an entirely unrelated and massively popular game. Really, the issue here is similar to the whole “Scrolls/Elder Scrolls” thing, except I’d be far more understanding of someone mixing up “Hearthstone” and “Stonehearth.”

• Wulfram says:

It also sounds like they wanted to call it Stoneheart but had a lisp

Oakreef says:

Oh wow I was reading the name of Blizzard’s game as Heartstone this entire time. I had no idea it was actually Hearthstone. This is like that time I was three books into the Wheel of Time before I realised the bad guys where called darkfriends and not darkfiends.

• anHorse says:

what

I gave up on the series before realising that

Oakreef says:

It literally took me a character phrasing it as “friend of the dark” instead of the usual darkfriend for me to realise.

• int says:

If you play Stonehearth and Hearthstone at the same time, you can break the Internet.

2. Zankman says:

The long-awaited PC, F2P Fighting game set in the LoL universe may finally be upon us!

Now if the dumb Mods on the LoL subreddit were to stop deleting all posts regarding this…

3. Jediben says:

It isn’t Hearthstone. RPS are precious about their favourite Cribbage clone.

phuzz says:

Wait, a fighting game about robots with the word ‘rise’ in the title, where have I heard that before?

5. Kitsunin says:

Aw you’re kidding me. I guess SFV is noob-friendly enough, but that’s really disappointing, I’ve always wanted a fighting game I could go online and not get bodied (for reasons which are difficult to understand) in.

• Baines says:

You would likely still get bodied, because Rising Thunder only simplified the execution of individual moves. It was still being built around the idea of learning long and complicated combos.

• Remy77077 says:

Yeah the game you’re looking for isn’t Rising Thunder, it’s Fantasy Strike… and it’s still coming :-)
      link to sirlin.net

6. Serenegoose says:

I can’t wait for fun character designs like dauntless to get replaced with an ambulatory pair of tits in a cheesewire thong. I was interested in Rising Thunder, but the idea of ‘basically just the same game, except now it’s league’ is kinda like watching an acquaintance don the one ring. I won’t be bothering with it.

7. NiftyHat says:

I played some of the Alpha, I can’t say I’ll miss it.

The concept was nice. I really like the core of movement/space control in fighting games and making a game about that rather than about memorizing a bunch of inputs seemed like a great idea on paper.

In reality, it was frustrating. The promise of simplified input didn’t really work. Winning felt hollow, losing felt horrible. I think it lacked the clarity of decision making that other multiplayer games have where it’s easy to say “Oh, this is what I did wrong and now I’ll do it differently”.

• Don Reba says:

I played it just to see how they solved the obvious latency problem. Turns out, they didn’t.

• ForrestGumpInAWheelieBin says:

What latency problem are you talking about?
        If you mean input latency while playing online, than they DID solve it. RT had probably the best online netcode a fighting game could currently use, which makes the input latency on the players end basically nonexistent and even if the connection was bad, you could still do all the combos and such properly.

• Radiant says:

Absolutely correct. RT had the best netcode of any fighter bar none.

8. hooby says:

Stonehearth is actually shaping up to become a really nice city-… well village-builder rather.

Don’t be fooled by the cuteness of the graphics, the game mechanics are actually pretty tight and surprisingly good.

This game is turning out way better than what I had expected. I really hope that this buy-out won’t have any negative impact on it.

9. Frank says:

Backed Stonehearth, have been sort of watching their updates and had no idea they had another game under development.

10. Radiant says:

Rising thunder was a fantastic fighter.
    Super easy and all about space and decisions.

Unless you played Crow in which case go fuck yourself.

11. Flopdong says:

Rather bummed to hear them cancel Rising Thunder. I don’t really care about the F2P online centric crap, but a fighting game without all the arbitrary button combos and stick movements sounds really nice.

Smash Bros is the only fighting game I really enjoy because pulling off individual moves is not difficult. It allows me to focus on strategy and chaining moves together effectively, rather than getting irritated because the game interpreted my quarter-circle as a half-circle and played the wrong move

12. haldolium says:

Too bad, Rising Thunder did look very promising and kind of refreshing.

• Warduke says:

Agreed, I was looking forward to putting some time in on this at some point.