Wizalry! Chivalry Devs Show Off Mirage: Arcane Warfare

When Chivalry developers Torn Banner Studios announced their next game, Mirage: Arcane Warfare [official site], I said the teaser trailer made it look like Chivalry with wizards – Wizalry. And it still does. A new trailer shows off first-person melee combat like Chivalry and magic spells like wot wizards do but… how well do these two come together? See what you make of it yourself:

Chivalry has grand first-person melee action, right, so Torn Banner know what do with that. But what happens to careful strikes and defending when a wizard can e.g. summon a giant magical spiked ball and hurl it at you? Maybe there’s a magical equivalent of careful offense and defence. Maybe magic comes with big risks of its own. What the heck do I know? I’m just some idiot who’s watched the same videos as you. Without clear, uncut gameplay footage, it’s hard to get a sense of how it plays.

“Our last game Chivalry was about chopping off people’s heads with a sword. Mirage takes that core gameplay DNA and explodes with a range of new bloody, brutal combat possibilities thanks to the addition of powerful magic” Torn Banner’s CEO Steve Piggott said in an announcement today. “Mixing in the elements of fantasy and magic allow us to add entirely new components and levels of complexity to that core team-based combat concept that we find so much fun to play.”

I mean, on paper, Chivalry + wizards = a lark.

Mirage: Arcane Warfare is slated to launch later this year via Steam.

From this site

1. Noxman says:

I’m suspicious that they are after some of that sweet MOBA money, bet they riddle this with DLC characters. The addition of super-duper special abilities seems specifically tailored for it.

Grizzly says:

Maybe, but Chivalry seemed to thrive on cosmetic items alone, so I suspect that the DLC powers will be something along the vein of teal fireballs.

2. BathroomCitizen says:

It reminds me of Half-Life 1’s Wizard Wars mod. That was awesome!

• Aldwin says:

Heh, that was a fun mod. I remember playing it at a LAN with friends for the first time, and one of us discovering that you could turn into a bear. Then hearing the panicked yelling from the other room about being chased by a bear.

3. Ejia says:

Ooh, ooh, Now can we get a cover-based magic shooter with fantasy magic powers instead of sci-fi psychic powers?

4. ersetzen says:

looks pretty you enough but I have no idea how it’s supposed to play. From the sheer amount of bodies being hacked to pieces I’d guess that combat is fairly lethal but who the hell nose.

Generally having tense and fair combat seems tough to do once you add more than sprinkles of magic. Something like Magicka did it admirably but I’d doubt they’d go that in-depth with it.

I have been playing quite a bit of giantic lately and really like the superfrantic and dodgy combat there but it also doesn’t look like that’s it.

So for now it looks kind of meh to me seeing how many other ability shooty bashy games are coming out in the nearer future.

• ersetzen says:

Also, the sheer amount of autocorrect mistakes in that post is impressive. Still no edit button either apparently.

5. notdave says:

Could this be the Magestorm re-make I was looking for?

Google it Now!

6. Darloth says:

But will it be as good as the Wheel of Time game competitive multiplayer modes? Few things are.

7. haradaya says:

After playing Lichdom for a few hours, I really need magic to be more than a damage dealer for it to be remotely interesting. Nothing bores me more than magic spells that might as well be a gun in Unreal Tournament. I can’t tell from the video what to expect from Mirage, but I hope there’s tricks and traps in the library.

8. nimbulan says:

After Torn Banner’s steadfast refusal to acknowledge the myriad of bugs in Chivalry, including major balance-breaking bugs, I expect the same will happen to this game. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Ogun says:

^ this.

Love Chivalry to bits and spent 100s of hours on it, but I wish they’d get the Unreal source, or if they have it already, hire a programmer to do some proper work/optimisation on it instead of dicking about with hats, re-skins and UI changes.