Tom Clancy’s The Division Is Selling A Lot Fast

Why did Tom Clancy graduate with honours from business school? Because his Division was good.

Which is both a terrible maths joke and a topical maths joke, because Tom Clancy’s The Division has sold more in its first 24 hours than any other Ubisoft game in history, according to the Ubisoft Blog.

The post also reports that “Total digital full game sales of The Division also set new, single-day company records across PC, Xbox One, PS4.”

Hopping over to the at least somewhat reliable SteamSpy.com, it looks like the game has around 250,000 owners on Steam. That obviously doesn’t include direct Uplay sales, console sales, and probably some others, and is indeed an impressive number in 24 hours.

This matters because The Division is a multiplayer game and future support is dependent on sales and future fun is somewhat dependent on there being other players. I continue to be concerned, for example, as to the fate of my beloved Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, which SteamCharts tells me only has 3371 concurrent players at the time of writing.

That said, I think I’d be OK with The Division if it was just me and Adam. We’ve been playing together and enjoying its PvE missions, while cursing the higher level players who sneak in to nick our gear in the Dark Zone after we’ve killed all the enemies, without first even bothering to kill us. The indignity.

From this site

1. Blackcompany says:

The always online, server reliant part is one major reason why I am not buying it. If this were a coop game I could play offline, it would be just good enough I would pick it up in a sale soon. But knowing that it goes dark as soon as people begin to lose interesting…in yet another shooter…whose only MP variant is the same sort of asshole simulator we have tons of in Survival games already…

That’s like a recipe for guaranteeing the game wont be around in two years. I mean, I hope I am wrong, for the sake of those enjoying it. Just afraid I am not…

• ElementalAlchemist says:

Couple that with the fact that it looks to be absolutely dull as dishwater – link to youtube.com – and I doubt it will be more than a few months before the servers are sparsely populated. It won’t take long for the shiny graphics honeymoon to wear off and the reality of repetitive MMO grind to set in.

• mohfuu says:

I feel like the over-the-top focus on graphics is holding the game back. It just didn’t feel right on my PC going from 40 to 70 fps (with a 980 Ti). As a shooter, I thought it was poor and I didn’t enjoy playing it on my PC (maybe that would be a different story if I played it on a console)

The game may have sold a lot and done so very quickly, but I think it might also get a lot of refunds fast too.

• mascarpwn says:

With everything maxed out, my fps was between 55 and 95 with (I’m guessing) an average of 75.

There are a few settings you can lower with barely any visible differences. Now, I never drop below 70 fps and usually am well in the 90ies.

Check out this article: link to geforce.com

If you like dystopian settings, rpg elements and don’t mind cover based shooting (note, not CoD like shooters), you’ll probably enjoy this game.

I know I am, and at 25 euro, it’s really cheap entertainment.

• Spherical says:

Where the heck can you buy The Division for 25 € ??

• aepervius says:

25 euro ? seeing it is on steam at 60 euro, and you can on the web only get it the cheapest at 40 euro I am thinking maybe eastern europe ? Russian key maybe ? Or some shenanigan with coupon and rebate.

• KastaRules says:

Word!

2. haldolium says:

Don’t know if this is good news… in the end, the only major positive thing (and most certainly a huge driving factor for sales) are the visuals. The rest remains the usual UbiGrinding handheld gameplay with no excitement, no exploration, a rather constrained AI and no unique moments that aren’t severely influenced by the visuals as well. To no surprise, the story/dialogues/characters are insanely dumb as well. Thankfully everything can be skipped.

Although, not suprising at all, so not disappointing either. I just wonder if this is what games are now, or if there ever will be a shift again to get great graphics combined with a game that isn’t just the worst and feeds of primitive instincts rather then offering genuie development.

• Radthor Dax says:

Ever heard of a little title called The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? It’s rather obscure, so you probably didn’t even know it existed.

• Ghinbi says:

Its cool but, you re all wrong. Exploration is the main way to actually get to know the story. As for the AI, the Last Man Battalion have the best one I’ve seen in years when it come down to video games. They do proper tactics, push, use stun grenades, hack your stuff and also criticize your lack of tactics in real time.

They re a BLAST to play against in hard mode

• QSpec says:

Can you speak more in-depth about exploration? Are there genuinely interesting things to see off the beaten path? How “off the beaten path” is off the beaten path?

• nearly says:

The game sells itself a bit short by drawing a magic line in the world leading you to your objective, rather than just showing you point A and B on the map and letting you work your way there.

If you stray from that line, you’ll find shortcuts through alleys, so it’s not always the most efficient. Aside from that, there are pieces of story mostly in the form of audio logs and a number of easter eggs from what I’ve heard. You’ll also find side missions / encounters and a decent amount of crafting materials. It’s a game that has quite a bit of walking from point A to point B, but you miss out on a lot if you just run straight to your objective without looking around and trying to live in the world.

As far as recent mainstream releases, I’d put it more in the DX:HR camp than Bioshock:Infinite or Dishonored. With Bioshock, I felt like my diversions from the obvious path went unrewarded and usually ended with me finding a couple dollars or some bullets in a trashcan, while DX:HR had some decent shortcuts and side passages even if they didn’t quite hit the level of Dishonored’s level design. In this case, it’s a big map and it feels like there are a lot of nooks and crannies that so far have been fairly engaging.

• draglikepull says:

I think Metal Gear Solid 5, while building off what the MGS games have done before, was a big step forward for stealth-action games, and it also looks fantastic.

3. Unsheep says:

The launch success of this game is an ‘up yours’ to gaming media.
    Of-course whether the game has longevity is another matter, the popularity of most online games tend to fade naturally.

However it really begs the question of how relevant and valid media impressions of games really are, since the job of gaming media is to predict the consumer’s buying choices.

• Volcanu says:

Eh?

Wouldn’t that be the job of industry analysts and dedicated forecasters? Since when has games journalism been about predicting whether or not something is a success?

Surely the “job” of gaming media is, if anything, to offer a critical appraisal of games and provide a subjective assessment of a games merits in order to inform and entertain the readers. That’s of course simplistic given that the gaming media is not some monolithic entity and encompasses a wide range of mediums, styles and personalities.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Unsheep can’t make a post without making some non sequitur about the games media or how nobody thinks for themselves.

• Anthile says:

Not really. Movies like the Transformers series make an incredible amount of money despite being almost universally panned by critics. If your marketing machine is strong enough you can make your product pretty much immune to most forms of criticism. The Division isn’t even poorly reviewed.
      I have not played the game myself but I have seen quite a bit of gameplay footage. It’s pretty obvious what The Division is. It’s about as vanilla as it gets. The gunplay looks painfully outdated but that also means there’s not a whole lot to get wrong. Most of all it’s inoffensive. You can hand it to somebody who never played a game in their life and they’d probably be not too bad at it.
      The only thing there is that stands out is the post-DayZ PvP shenanigans which seem at least a little bit interesting but we will see how that will turn out in the long run.
      In the end, the success of The Division is a success of conformity, the same thing that helped the not too dissimilar Destiny move an astounding number of copies.

• Jimbo says:

Nonsense, the job of gaming media is to rabble-rouse and sell advertising.

• Frosty says:

Bollocks! The job of the gaming media is to make as many painful puns as possible until we all forget what we were even doing here in the first place.

This alone is why WARFACE is the best game in RPS history.

• fish99 says:

Did the gaming media hate on the game then? I guess I missed that. The previews I read were mostly positive, including from RPS.

4. Maxheadroom says:

Not had chance to play it yet but by all accounts its a very shallow and repetitive (but not altogether unenjoyable) experience, “The gaming equivalent of the film Anaconda” to paraphrase Jim Stirling.

Clearly the figures show there money to be made in things like this and Destiny though which makes me sad for the future of gaming – Spend all your money on the marketing campaign and you can generate the hype to shift anything

Philopoemen says:

I’ve put more than a few hours into it now, and it’s got that Diablo-esque loot endorphic response. But I’m not going to play it past the time I finish the single player campaign – there’s no reason to grind for higher level gear, I have no interest in competing with bored children for the Dark Zone gear, and any future DLC with level cap increase will suitably kit me out five minutes after starting.

That said, I’m quite enjoying the running about piecing together the stories from the little bits of information you find laying about.

That said, the weather system adds some nuisance to the gunplay, as a sniper (well marksman rifle) the snow rolling in, cutting visibility makes life interesting.

Also sick of civilians giving me shoes. Give a me a cool looking thing that I actually have to look at. Shoes are very low on the list of priorities.

Philopoemen says:

Also, I would love the ability to be able to set semi-auto – full auto is not standard in real world shooting, it shouldn’t be in this game – especially sporting the “Tom Clancy” brand.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Role-play as Elle Woods from Legally Blonde and suddenly the whole game becomes about shoes!

6. gunny1993 says:

Lots of publicity, Great Graphics, Tonnes of good deals with bundled GPUs, simple repetitive gameplay.

Ofc this game sold well, was anyone thinkig it wouldn’t?

7. yogibbear says:

I must’ve hit my head this week… but so far I’m 26hrs in and loving it. :/ Even though I want to hate it. Must. Grind. Must. Get. Levels. And thererefore. Craft. Better. Gear.

• BillyBantam says:

I thought I would hate it too but some of the guys in my clan persuaded me to get it and I’m loving it. I was supposed to be working from home yesterday, but spent most of the time levelling up my character.

The mechanics are repetitive, but well polished. Shoot, Loot, Repeat. It’s enjoyable solo and with friends. Hopefully the strong sales will prompt Ubi and Massive to support the game properly with new content.

8. Smidgey87 says:

I’m really enjoying it so far. Game scales nicely depending on whether you’re playing solo or with a party. The missions/gun play are actually far more involving than most seem to realise, especially in hard mode where co-ordination, tactics, correct use of abilities and a good mix of weapon types are needed to get through the fire fights. It’s also a fantastic location to just wander round in, look for pick ups/random encounters and just take in the world.

I’ve noticed that most people with a negative opinion of the game haven’t actually played it or only played the beta solo.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

So the game *can* be played solo, then?

• Smidgey87 says:

From what I’ve played so far (upto level 9) you can do everything solo. The game scales depending on how many are in your group and the highest level within the group. So as a solo there’s a manageable number of enemies and not too many big bullet sponge boss types.

I did one of the early ‘security’ missions solo and then in a group last night. The main differences were the number of enemies and the number or ‘elite’ enemies (as a solo there was one final yellow enemy but with 3 of us there were 2).

It’s one of those games where you can either jump in for half hour alone, wander round, find a couple of new bits of gear and log out, or spend 6 hours with a group of buddies and work through the story. It’s open ended enough to allow for different play styles. The matchmaking is also pretty good so far although I have limited experience of it.

• melnificent says:

Yeah I discovered the scales to highest level thing today. I’m 11 and was grouped with a level 15. It was a pleasant challenge.

• Smidgey87 says:

Should probably also add that if you’re outside the dark zone, you’ll only bump into other player controlled characters in the social hubs/safe houses. You won’t see them running around the open world (although friends do show their position on the map so you can see if someone’s nearby in their world and invite them in to do missions/explore).

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Cool, thanks for your responses. I just became much more interested as a result.

Philopoemen says:

Level 26 and only played solo. I think you miss out on better gear, but such is life.

Playing solo is has disadvantages though. As opposed to being a proper DPS, or healer, or whatever, you have to be a jack of all trades, and therefore master of none.

Graham Smith says:

Man! You’re all a bunch of grumps.

• clonitza says:

The usual crybabies :)

• Jay Load says:

1) It’s a Ubisoft product. -100 Trust points.
      2) It’s been very heavily marketed -100 Trust points.
      3) It’s Multiplayer -50 Trust points.
      4) It’s Thursday -1120 Trust points.
      5) I’m still at work and can’t play anything but ExcelCraft and Outlook Tennis -1’000’000 Trust points

The sum total of the above = Grump category. :)

• anHorse says:

6) People have played the beta and found it to be shit

• Distec says:

Conversely, it seems that a lot people enjoyed the beta despite months of really cautious and lukewarm previews.

Haven’t played The Division, but I doubt all the players this game has attracted are idiots or anything.

• fish99 says:

Arthur’s Quest: Battle for the Kingdom was shit. The Division is mediocre at worst.

Nauallis says:

You know what the best part is, for a grump like you? You don’t have to buy it! Sweet jesus! Why is it that nobody else is supposed to enjoy it or buy it just because you’re not impressed?

• Jay Load says:

Jesus. Chill

If you can’t see the humour in the above, take a long walk in a calming meadow, or something, then try again. Save the rage for the real culprits. ;)

• Tekrunner says:

I bet the comments on the final review are going to be “fun”. I’m enjoying the game so far, it’s very polished, has fairly good gunplay, simple but efficient systems, plays well with friends, and has one of the best environments I can remember in a video game. It’s not just that it’s pretty, the attention to detail is also truly impressive.

10. ZippyLemon says:

It’s like the suits know they’re onto something with this formula and it’s just a matter of which company bottles the lightning. Like with Destiny, I see people saying it’s ‘meh’ but then continuing to play it. That’s half of WoW’s draw down. Now they just need to nail the virtual social connections and they’ll have this generations Thing To Copy For Surefire Billions.

11. Fnoros says:

I only played the beta, and I greatly enjoyed the gameplay, but the entire premise and story seemed ridiculous to me. The first group of enemies, for example, are ‘looters’, which for one thing perpetuates the myth of looting (crime actually goes significantly down during most disasters compared to pre-disaster statistics, see link to theguardian.com , link to slate.com , and link to emeraldinsight.com ), and also seems vaguely racist – the characters aren’t all black but they act like a stereotypical caricature of what a recist thinks an urban black person is. And you shoot them all on sight, even if they appear to be unarmed and just standing around, with no consequence. All of this disappointed me greatly, as I really enjoyed the gameplay despite the occasional bullet-sponge, but I can’t bring myself to financially support what came off as a casually racist (intentionally or not) repetition of some of the most dangerous myths that plague public and political discourse. If the main game actually addresses this i would be glad to hear it!

• yogibbear says:

The big bad dude is a white male “patriot” type with values. ’nuff said?

Philopoemen says:

The biggest issue with the story narrative is that you really need to find all the phones, intel logs to get a better understanding of the nuisances.

I thought the Cleaners was just a great excuse to have flamethrowers at first, but after listening to a whole bunch of recorded stuff, I find myself understanding their motivations etc.

It’s not Tolstoy, but then neither was Tom Clancy.

• anHorse says:

Well he did have so many ghost writers that it’s at least possible that Tatyana Tolstaya wrote for him

• fish99 says:

Everyone you shoot is armed, aggressive and a member of one of the games’ criminal gangs. You don’t shoot looters. In fact the game has regular civilians on the street, and if you listen to their conversations some of them are up to no good, but you cannot kill them.

Honestly, you’re seeing what you want to see.

12. Synesthesia says:

Does anyone know if there will be a southamerican server? I’m holding off because I had unplayable latency during the beta.

13. MaxMcG says:

I played the demo and was bored in 20 minutes. The gameplay is just boring. It’s just another cover shooter – we’ve all played this before in some form or other and this adds little to the genre. I would bet that the online part will just turn into a WOW-like grind for gear and that’s boring beyond my ability to describe. It looks lovely though, I’ll give it that. But I’m going to pass.

Philopoemen says:

To be fair to the game, the tactics used by the AI get better the high level you are. Where at level 5 the enemies run straight into your bullets, 25 they’re flanking, using high ground, bounding overwatch etc.

A good team with proper tactics will do well in the MP side of things. Just need the ability to pop smoke.

14. craving_denial says:

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and say that one of the big draws of Destiny was the community. Sure you had hardcore gamers but they were more than matched by the number of casuals. If divisions can match that I’m sure alot of people will stay and overlook some of the grind.

Now a father and as such I really don’t have the time to sink in to hours and hours of gaming (though I can binge now and then). As an example I have witcher 3 (got bored – it’s genuinely a good game but everything gets repetitive), tf2 (fun but again can get repetitive), FIFA (definition of repetitive) to name a few. Lots of roguelikes too (and rogue loves) but again repetitive!

Reading through the comments I see alot of arguments, but most of them come down to this – game is too repetitive. So I ask you this – what game isn’t? And what do we expect from games these days?

Qazinsky says:

You’re right, games that has some kind of length tend to be repetitive, that is what the entire gameplay is based on. Wether you’re shooting stuff or collecting flowers, the same things will be done over and over. Depending on if you find it fun or not, it is either fun gameplay or feels repetitive.

Calling a game repetitive is usually a terrible way to describe a game, along with grindy.

We’re going to do the same things over and over in the game, it will be super short, or you’ll have some poor developers sit and churn out assets that take days to make and that every player sees once.

• draglikepull says:

It’s true that almost all games have mechanics that repeat, but I think there’s a meaningful difference between a grindy vs non-grindy game.

For example, while The Last Of Us is a 3rd person, cover-based shooter, it mixes up the environments and the encounters enough that it always feels fresh. The spacing between encounters is important too; there’s a lot of down-time for exploration between encounters, and that means you never feel like you’re just slogging through a gauntlet of enemies (in my experience, at least).

Something like Borderlands, on the other hand, is quite grindy. You fight the same enemies in the same way over and over again, and you do it primarily to fill up meters so you can go fight the next group of enemies in the same way over and over again. There’s basically no way to progress without significant repetition of content. It’s a completely differen design ethos from something like The Last Of Us.

15. fish99 says:

I didn’t buy it because I didn’t think it was quite fun enough for a full price purchase, but I’m not offended that people like it or that it’s selling well.

16. mechabuddha says:

So I’m seeing a lot of comments about how boring and repetitive the gameplay is. If all you played was the beta, then that is an accurate assessment. But as you get to the harder missions, enemies start using advanced tactics against you and it gets way more interesting. I just fought a boss where we were both behind cover and unable to hit each other without repositioning. The boss put a turret on top of his cover, then flanked me, forcing me to completely give up my position: if I stayed I’d get shot by the boss, if I shifted to the other side of my cover, I’d get shot by the turret. I’ve had groups of NPC where someone threw a grenade to my left and a melee NPC rushed to my right in a coordinated attack, forcing me to make interesting tactical choices. And this is was just outside of the beta area, at level 9.

17. funderbolt says:

But, but, this game is supposed to be shit and boring, according to those who have never played it! What am I to think??

18. Shizzle says:

It’s not a great game. But decent. Some things I like about Division, some I don’t. Not a game one could play for endless hours and for very long time. Very simplistic. Feels like a lot is still missing.

BUT overall a fun game. I like it.

19. Blaaaaaaag says:

“…while cursing the higher level players who sneak in to nick our gear in the Dark Zone after we’ve killed all the enemies, without first even bothering to kill us.”

Alec, that’s not how it works. Nearly all the loot in the game is personal, the only public loot is what drops off of players when they die in the Dark Zone. If the players in question have any loot to swoop in for, it’s because they helped you kill the enemies you speak of.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

Oh how I wish I could delete this post, I forgot who’d written this article and changed it whilst my first attempt at commenting was still being accepted.

20. Blaaaaaaag says:

Graham, that’s not how it works. Nearly all the loot in the game is personal, the only public loot is what drops off of players when they die in the Dark Zone. If the players in question have any loot to swoop in for, it’s because they helped you kill the enemies you speak of.