Diablo II Now Has Better Support For Modern OSes

Last year, we were briefly excited at the prospect of Blizzard revamping some of their older games, as a job listing made clear they were looking for a software engineer to work on Diablo II, Warcraft III and the first StarCraft. Our hopes were dialled down when Blizzard clarified that their goal was simply to “maintain our legacy games.”

It seems that goal has borne fruit, as they’ve just released the first new patch for Diablo II in five years. The update “focuses on system glitches introduced by modern operating systems.”

The biggest boon of this seems to be for Mac players, as the announcement on the Battle.net forum says that, “you can finally retire those old Mac PowerPCs. Included with the update is a shiny new installer for OSX.” This fixes a problem where Diablo II would no longer work on any version of MacOSX after 10.7 Lion, which much like the last game update was released in 2011.

“Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems” was bulletpoint number one on last year’s job listing. Bulletpoint number four was “Combat hacking to improve multiplayer”, and it seems work has started on that:

We’ve also begun working to improve our cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. There’s still work to be done, but we’re making improvements every day.

It’s always lovely when game developers continue to support their games so long after release, especially when there’s no financial incentive or even much public pressure to do so. Hopefully there are similar updates to follow for other entries in Blizzard’s back catalogue.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Konservenknilch says:

I’d love it if they finally offered Diablo I as a download (and working on modern systems). Are they just not interested, or are there some deep technical problems?

• Arathorn says:

Would you really want to? I played the first again a couple of years back, and it hadn’t aged well. The environments are extremely samey (you just go further underground) and the enemies even worse so, they’re almost all reskins of the enemies you encounter in the first few levels.

Of course Diablo II had many of the same problems, though to a lesser extent. But at least it changed the environment every now and then and the cinematics were cool.

• Alevice says:

I still overall like the visuals and audio better personally. Lack of variety is definitely an issue, but I still find it fun to boot up from time to time. WOuld love an official release.

Qazinsky says:

I am with you on that. I might have played Diablo 2 more than Diablo, but I sure missed the style from the first one.

Qazinsky says:

I do not miss being the warrior teaming with a fireball/chainlightning mage though.

• Konservenknilch says:

Well, for a bit at least. I miss the simplicity and atmosphere of it. I’m not hugely into Diablo anyway, so the pure scale of II deters me from getting into it again. Wasn’t a huge fan of the environs either apart from the beginning (duh) and the swamp part. The desert feels like a different game almost (I had the same issues with D3).
        The original should be much nicer to fire up once every few weeks or so to bludgeon some skeletons in a gothy crypt.

• rebldomakr says:

I have to disagree with that. Maybe it’s nostalgia but I still have the diablo1 disc and load it up to play single player. The atmosphere and graphics hold up nicely. The story is good. I have a lot of fun with it and reading all the old quests. The music is still top notch. I’d recommend it for anyone who can get ahold of it.

JiminyJickers says:

You can definitely get Diablo 1 to run fine, at least on Win 7. I have installed it, you have to use some wrapper thingamabob that someone created for it to work.

So they could do it, it would definitely be easier than grabbing the old cd and fiddling about.

• yjzep says:

I have a Win 7 pro i7 4700 machine. My Original Diablo Win 95 CDROM from 1997 installed, the patch installer updated, and it runs perfect. Not sure what your issues are. You do have to right click the .exe and in properties tell it to run in 256 colors and 640×480 resolution, but it runs perfect. Played it today.

2. Cinek says:

Blizzard clarified that their goal was simply to “maintain our legacy games.”” – First Microsoft running expansion packs to AoE, then re-releases of Baldur’s Gate and alike, now Blizzard maintaining their classics… please, please tell me that there’s more companies planning to join this party!

• Arkayjiya says:

This isn’t anything new really, a couple of years ago War3 was still having balance patches, and they did the no cd patch to remove the DRM on their games 10 to 13 years after their release. Blizzard has always been supporting their game. I’m more worried about those who are internet only but can still be played solo such as D3.

• Shuck says:

It makes sense for them to do it because older Blizzard games still sell, and in numbers that justify the expenditure of resources. Not a lot of older games can say that, even in the rare cases that both the developer and the publisher of the game still exist.

3. Hakusho says:

Wow! I think i need to log into my battle.net account and download Diablo 2 again.
    I think there might be some nostalgia waiting for me.
    Just hope the resolution is quite okay to look at.

• darkmorgado says:

I tried playing it again last year, but it was low-res fuzz-o-vision. I found it barely playable.

• darkmorgado says:

There is a workaround though, but it might count as cheating in MP: link to reddit.com

• Hakusho says:

I can’t look into it right now, but i will definitely later.
          Tried to play it a few months/years(?) ago and it was strange to log in and have such a low resolution. I know it won’t be the same experience as back then.
          But yea i think it will entertain me for quite a while.
          Also i once tried a high res patch/mod and it looked even worse. UI looked terrible and zoom looked terrible, i might rather play it in window mode then.

4. PancakeWizard says:

Any idea if they plan to up the resolution? I realise it’s probably a no given it’d affect the game quite drastically if you can see further out, but it’s just way too zoomed-in for me to play these days.

• Uncle Fassbender says:

Try D2MultiRes, runs it in modern resolutions and zooms it out accordingly.

5. Niko says:

I don’t really get why people would want to play Diablo 2 again.

JiminyJickers says:

I don’t really get why you don’t get that people like to play old games again.

• Brinx says:

Well, at least to me Diablo 2 as well as Torchlight 2 are the best iterations of this genre. And thus, I still find a lot of fun in it.
      (And this is what it boils down to: People are still having fun with Diablo 2.)

• Hakusho says:

I also had lots of fun playing titan quest and now grim dawn.
        They are quite different but still similar and refreshing.

• Brinx says:

I like Titan Quest alot. It feels a bit too grindy for me in the beginning though, if you want to have a character capable of suceeding on the higher difficulty levels.

6. Unsheep says:

Nice to see, the best Diablo game in my humble opinion.

7. Rao Dao Zao says:

I always thought that Warcraft III deserved a second expansion pack… Probably wishful thinking, but I guess a bit of extra patching would never go amiss.

• kud13 says:

If they did that, they’d make all of WoW non-canon.

Not that I’d mind, but there’s too many WoW players for me to believe they’d seriously consider that.

• jrodman says:

Do you think the wow players care about canon anymore? Or just Blizzard?

• Distec says:

There’s a chance Blizzard could get away with it. Most WoW players couldn’t give a crap about the lore, and the few who do seem to have a consensus hovering around “meh”.

Few tears would be shed if everything past TFT was wiped out via time travel or a writer outright retconning it.

• Moraven says:

You can easily fit a War III expansion into the current canon.

Hell, you could just recreate stories told in WoW. I will take a Wrathgate RTS level any day.

8. Brinx says:

Actually bought the digital version a while back, because I couldn’t find my CD keys. Of course I just found them yesterday while packing for moving into a new flat…

9. Skeletor68 says:

I played it yesterday evening! Super relaxing, great music, and low intensity on my machine, letting me alt-tab or listen to podcasts etc. It’s one of my favourite games of all time.

• Skeletor68 says:

That was supposed to be in response to Niko.

• Hakusho says:

I had a huge flashback to the main menu music when they put the music into hots after implementing the necromancer. Was a nice surprise

10. nottorp says:

Hmm I just logged on to my bnet account and all the classic games have only Windows versions available. Last time I checked they still made the old, power pc only versions available for download, but now they’re gone.
    Some patch…

Yyve says:

Diablo 2 is one of the very few games I keep going back to even now. I love that it’s still going after all these years.