Rocket League To Get Basketball Mode

Rocket League makes me happy even when I’m not playing it, simply by existing and continuing to add silly things. The latest silly thing: it’s getting a “Hoops” mode, which swaps the football goals for basketball rings. We don’t know much more than that and you can see the only screenshot of it so far above.

The mode was teased via a tweet by developers Psyonix:

Which is exactly what I needed to see on a cold Friday morning. March Madness, in case you’re not in the US, is a reference to televised college basketball, by the way.

Rocket League is a highly competitive game, pitting teams of one, two or three players against one another in car football. It has a high skill ceiling, owing to your ability to render your car airborne and then control it with carefully timed blasts of the rockets attached to the back of your vehicle. But it’s also highly accessible, easy to pick up and play, and has done a great job of keeping the unskilled players – eg. me – interested with silly updates and new modes and mutators that make skill a little less important. Unlike most multiplayer games, you can still hop into it now as a rookie and find plenty of people to play with, rather than solely the super-capable.

Hoops mode looks like that kind of silliness, although I’m fairly certain that I’ll never deliberately get the ball to go up and then down within that hooped zone. I can barely get it in the goals as it is.

From this site

1. Zankman says:

I hope all of these extra maps and modes don’t hurt the development of the “core” scene, in terms of the base gameplay.

• Kitsunin says:

Is there anything they can change/add regarding the core gameplay? Perhaps a pro would have more insight but it seems like one of those cases where you’ve got something perfect and there’s no sense doing more with it. Alternate modes seems like the only way to go.

• GameCat says:

I think he fears that new modes will bring more players away from core gameplay.

• Zankman says:

Hm I assume that Pros could do something for the game’s balance maybe, but, yeah, you might be right – the game might be “perfect”. Dunno if the “killing” has been changed, that seemed to be an annoying strat upon release.

But as the other poster replied, I wouldn’t like to see the community splitting into several smaller ones.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s kind of a dilemma, isn’t it? Should they change nothing and have the game slowly lose its playerbase over time? Should they add new modes and split the community? Should they add more complexities and risk messing up the extremely tight experience they already have?

• Xzi says:

Eh it doesn’t really seem like an issue. They’re constantly adding stuff to every part of the game, and it seems like some of the newer maps will make their way to competitive/ranked at some point anyway.

Herring says:

I’d have thought this mode would be more of interest to the better players; you’ll need a decent ‘air game’.

My friends and I normally only get air-born by accident :D

• Flopdong says:

Getting airborne is easy! Just jump, point your front end up and boost :)
      Managing to hit anything while your airborne is another matter lol

3. Clavus says:

By 2040 we’ll have an Olympics fully compromised of Rocket League sport spin-offs. I’d watch that.

4. PancakeWizard says:

I wonder if this means we’ll eventually get a hockey mode? Would like to be charging a giant slidey puck around that can’t bounce as easily.

• Kitsunin says:

Not sure if serious…

• ulix says:

I was also wondering if he is serious. Who the fuck would want hockey? Hockey is for dickheads.

• Clavus says:

We already got a ice hockey match type during the last winter season.

• freedomispopular says:

You mean like the hockey mode that it currently has?

5. ulix says:

The way it looks I’d wager the ball rolls up the white circular slope around the “basket”, while yout car will pass through it… it’s the only way I can see games of “normal players” not ending 0-0 every time.

• freedomispopular says:

That would be lame. It really shouldn’t be that hard to get it in. Just make sure the ball’s got a little more air under it when centering.

• Asurmen says:

If you want something to roll up a side, the ball has to be on the surface. A ball in the air will bounce off of the ball away from the goal.

• Xzi says:

It’s pretty easy to get some air on the ball, just have to stay on the ground and hit underneath it. Get the right angle on that backboard and it’ll go in.

6. Banks says:

I want water polo with jet skis.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have actually been bouncing (hur! hur! hur!) the idea of how basketball would work in this game since I first started playing. My idea involved the ball attaching to your car by a little grappling hook and then you having to dribble the ball by serving back and forth while driving. The goal would be a hole in the wall above where it is now meaning dunks would be possible by flying into the goal.

Probably a good thing I’m not the one making them games!

8. Imbecile says:

I was thinking they could have a mode where the ball basically sticks magnetically to your car, and then you attempt to drive into a goal, while everyone else tries to ram you. When you are hit the ball detaches. Or something.

• Warduke says:

Lol, I like it!

• Warduke says:

When I first read that I saw your name and my brain processed it as “I was thinking they could have an imbecile mode..” :)

• Xzi says:

Once you get to around Gold (Challenger) 2, it’s like the ball is magnetic anyway. People are so good at dribbling and ball control at this point.

9. spaced says: