Adorable Exploration: Ittle Dew 2 Coming This Summer

Back in 2013, Ittle Dew was a pleasant surprise: a lovely 2D puzzle adventure built mostly around block-pushing puzzles. Resident ‘feels’ expert John Walker wanted to cuddle it, mostly thanks to the charming writing and art, but, perhaps unexpectedly, the puzzles were often enjoyable as well.

Three years later, Ittle Dew 2 [official site] is ready to make its appearance, and it’s bringing some changes. Ittle and her uninterested sidekick Tippsie will be exploring a new island in adorable 3D graphics, with a bigger focus on action and combat, and new puzzles that don’t necessarily involve block pushing. Will it be time for more cuddling?

The original Ittle Dew featured an open world often gated by the requirement to obtain certain tools, à la Metroidvania. It was an alluring prospect, but it occasionally backfired as it was easy to get lost. In the new iteration, the world will be even more radically open: from the very beginning you’ll be able to go anywhere and all the 8 main dungeons will be accessible and solvable, although additional tools and weapons will open shortcuts or make puzzles easier.

Whereas combat was often little more than an afterthought – a simple matter of mashing the attack button until the enemies died – the devs want to make it more interesting and challenging this time around, with a bigger focus on learning enemy patterns, dodging their attacks and hitting them at the right time or from the correct side. Again, upgraded weapons will make the fights easier, but determined players will only need the stick Ittle begins the game with.

Ittle Dew is set for a summer release on Steam. Here’s a more meaningful video than the trailer above. It’s a few months old, but it shows a large chunk of gameplay with devs’ commentary on top.

From this site

1. jonfitt says:

It’s interesting that we use the term Metroidvania to describe a game gated by obtaining the next tool, because Zelda does the save thing and is from the same era as Metroid and Castlevania. Given the graphical style, this game looks very Zelda inspired.

• GameCat says:

For me it looks like Zelda combined with Okamiden on Nintendo DS.

• welverin says:

Well, Okamiden was a sequel to Okami, which was a Zelda-like…

As for Metroidvanias, that’s typically used to refer to the side scrolling variety and it didn’t come into being until the GBA Castlevania’s (despite Castlevania 2 doing it long before).Also, the original Zelda didn’t resort to the type of hard gating that Metroid used.

• Baines says:

The first Metroid didn’t resort to the type of gating that people associate with Metroidvanias, either. Without abusing glitches, you technically needed only to defeat the two minibosses (in either order), pick up two power-ups (morph ball and bomb), and pick up one missile canister (to open red doors before you beat a miniboss, as the minibosses themselves give you the rest that you need) in order to reach and defeat Mother Brain. You can’t even leave the first room without getting the morph ball, which I believe pretty much exists as a power-up just to get players in the mindset of actually searching areas. Everything else, including the ice beam, is technically a luxury item.

Both Zelda II and Metroid II implemented more progress/item gating. The third titles of each series (Super Metroid, Link to the Past) set the frameworks that people would come to recognize as those series (though Ocarina quickly supplanted LttP as the series moved to 3D).

Ittle Dew was influenced by Link to the Past, which as I said was more gated than the original Zelda, though not quite as gated as future Zelda titles would become.

• GameCat says:

I was talking more about art style. I could point at Okami, but despite using similiar painterly look, its art feel somehow different than in Okamiden.

• Koozer says:

A tiny difference to what the article states is that the items in Ittle Dew could be obtained in different orders, or skipped altogether, if you knew how. Now I think of it it’s like the Metroid/Castlevania secret routes and techniques that would let the player skip areas and get items earlier than they are supposed* to. While still not presented explicitly to the player, Ittle Dew doesn’t make such a secret of these alternative paths through the game.

*The designers clearly planned these hidden routes, as shown by eg. unique dialogue heard in certain areas if reached without first seeing another area, or in a time impossible by the normal route.

2. JFS says:

The first one was really good. Except for that boss fight at the end.

• Villephox says:

Yes. I died pretty hard my first few attempts then realized that, as I was actually at the end of the game, there was no real reason to keep trying to beat such a frustrating boss. I’d gotten everything I was going to out of the game, with the exception of whatever happened after defeating the boss.

• lokimotive says:

That’s where I ended up, same as Steamworld Dig and the first Trine. I was just like, well that’s enough of that. It’s annoying when that happens, though.

• kavika says:

I thought the boss wasn’t terribly difficult.
      I assume the action, as a more central focus, is going to be even harder this go-around. I’m guessing you probably will enjoy the main game even less in #2.
      Can’t please everyone…

• kavika says:

Actually now that I think about it, I don’t remember *liking* that boss fight either. Too easy…

3. Aliajha says:

Superb online work from house and make five thousand dollars
    a month. I made seven thousand dollars a month from the comfort of my house.

║║Check my S☸urce║║ ✪ ••••••••••► http://www.working247.tk

4. jgf1123 says:

I liked the first game for the puzzles. I’m not as excited that the sequel plays up the action side.