J-RPG I Am Setsuna Coming To PC In Summer

Sounds like we were just talking about nostalgia, and here we are again: Square Enix has opened an entire studio, tellingly named “Tokyo RPG Factory,” to work on new titles “inspired by the golden era of Japanese role-playing games” like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Their first work, I Am Setsuna (Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna in Japanese) [official site] was released in Japan in February to positive, if not enthusiastic, reviews. They’ve now announced a western port of the game scheduled for this summer, and it will include a PC version too, even if that’s totally out of place with that nostalgia thing they were going for.

The game is going for that old-school feeling all the way, with 3d models, top-down camera, item names and even some music tracks being direct references to the Square Enix RPGs of the PS1 era. Fights will be using a variation of the Active Time Battle system, a staple of many Final Fantasy games as well as Chrono Trigger: simply put, each character has a bar that needs to refill before they can perform another action. The story will revolve around the titular Setsuna, a young girl who has been chosen as a sacrifice to appease the monsters and keep them from attacking humans.

I could probably type nostalgia a thousand more times, but this picture should do the trick.

That’s the overworld: when you needed to travel from one place to another, your party was represented by a giant sprite and you walked on the map. That tiny village should be a city you can enter, with NPCs and all.

Perhaps the most unique aspects of I Am Setsuna is the visual flavour of the world, all covered in snow. And even if they are a callback, the modern sprites are adorable, nothing like those spiky polygons of the early PS1.

“Kaiju Pop” released a video showing the first 90 minutes of the Japanese game with English subtitles (make sure you turn them on in YouTube), so you can get a nostalgia appetizer before the main course, which is due in Summer.

From this site

1. Drinking with Skeletons says:

There are a number of classic JRPGs that I’d like to see ported to PC. Chief among them: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross (shut up, I like it!). I also think that there’s a market for Vagrant Story in this post-Dark Souls world, and if Square doesn’t do a multi-platform port of Final Fantasy XII they’re just leaving money on the table.

But the fact that Final Fantasy Tactics is available on phones and tablets but not PC is astonishing to me. The Disgaea port might’ve been a mess, but between the fact that the mess was even a story and the success of XCOM, you’d think Square would wise up.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Chrono Cross has a bigger fanbase than many realize, I think it just took awhile for people to really start looking at it as its own thing, rather than Chrono Trigger 2. I for one adore it every bit as much as Chrono Trigger, just for different reasons.

Anyway, you can run the majority of those oldies fairly well on emulators these days, and if you own the damned things twenty times already it’s not really something to feel guilty over.

Don’t get me wrong, proper ports would be NICE, but I haven’t been terribly impressed with Squeenix’s pc porting so far. (At least they’ve BEEN porting though, I know)

• deadlybydsgn says:

I would second your request for an FFT port.

Also, it would be nice if the FFVI PC port weren’t filled with crappy redone artwork. It’s not that they can’t try to polish up a classic, but in this particular case (my favorite FF), the new stuff means I’ll not be buying it.

• theoriginaled says:

Vagrant story is criminally underrated and i agree I think the gaming climate has matured to a point where it may be able to accept its complex neurotic tendencies. Would be nice to see it get some love.

2. Stepout says:

This game looks so pretty, I had no idea it, or Tokyo RPG Factory existed. This makes me very happy :)

3. peterako1989 says:

can we please get proper upgraded ports of skies of arcadia and xenogears please?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Would a Xenogears remake be possible by SquareEnix since Namco owns the Xeno franchise now?

• peterako1989 says:

Well, I wasn’t specifically wanted it from square. I was talking in general.

4. satsui says:

I was following Tokyo RPG Factory and I’m ecstatic that they’re released this game to NA. The music if fantastic.

I think once Squeenix realized that the Tales of series was successful here, and Bravely Default was successful, I think they suddenly realize that you didn’t need 10 years to produce a game people want to play.

5. Universal Quitter says:

The Nostalgia is only out of place if you choose gaming platforms like penguins choose mates, early and for life.

On the other hand, maybe JRPGs were just never as popular in Europe as they were in North America, particular the Squaresoft variety. To some of us of a certain age, these games are as synonymous with the word RPG as elves and goblins.

6. Butts says:

The direct translation is something more akin to “Setsuna of Snow and Sacrifice” apparently, and even if they didn’t go with that exactly they could have put a bit more work into making up an interesting title.

Harlander says:

No title would be interesting enough to keep me from reading it as Satsuma, though.

• Butts says:

And I, reading your post and thinking of tiny oranges, initially misread your name as “Hardlander”

7. MikoSquiz says:

Oh no, Active Time Battle System? That was always the worst thing about JRPGs.

8. Unsheep says:

Most PC gamers I know have had some experience with JRPGs, from back in the days when exclusives were more exclusive. So I don’t think its that strange for these games to appear on the PC market. The JRPG genre always seem to have a much larger consumer base than what mainstream media and generic forums would imply.