Mages Of Mystralia Looks Rather Lovely

When the creator of the Forgotten Realms is writing your story, it’s probably fair to say that your third-person action-adventure stands out from the crowd. This is the case for the just revealed Mages Of Mystralia (not entirely sure how Cyan Inc. will feel about the name), which apparently comes from a Montreal team made up of escapees from Ubisoft projects.

I have long thought the PC is really lacking in those lovely chunky PlayStation-style third-person games. The Ratchet & Clanks, the Jak & Daxters. This looks like something that fits neatly into that description, although with a heavy emphasis on magic. The trailer below suggests that players will be able to create their own bespoke spells:

You are, they tell us, Zia, a young girl with magical gifts in a world where magic is banned. Off she pops on an adventure to master her magic away from the prying eyes of the authorities, finds a bunch of strange runes, and then learns she can combine them to create new spells. Which rather suggests that, unless there a huge number of these runes, those self-created spells aren’t that unique. But we shall see.

Ed Greenwood, the man responsible for the Forgotten Realms, is penning the tale, which suggests that it will a) hopefully be a bit more than a “young girl matures” allegory, and b) it’ll probably have some splendidly hokum nonsense in there. And thankfully, so far at least, there’s no hint of a fundraising campaign – this might actually be a game that’s announced, then made, then released, like used to happen in the 1700s.

It looks pretty cute to me from the few snippets, and like I say, I crave this genre on my desktop. I also like that it looks just a little ARPGy too. Hopefully more information will appear soon. The release is aiming for space year 2017.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GameCat says:

“I have long thought the PC is really lacking in those lovely chunky PlayStation-style third-person games.”

Are there any good games on PC like that released in last few years? I can think only about Hat In Time, but it’s still in development. ;/

• klops says:

Gone Home?

• Luciferous says:

What part of Gone Home was a chunky- Playstation style third person… oh, wait… do you mean Grow Home?

• klops says:

Ah, yes! :D

• Urthman says:

After loving Grow Home, “escapees from Ubisoft projects” is one of my favorite game developers, and I’m super excited to see a game with similar anesthetics coming from that general direction.

• gamedjin says:

Check out Poi on Steam et all. It’s wonderful.

• LogicalDash says:

OmniBus looks chunky enough. So does else Heart.Break()

There was that one that was specifically imitating Silent Hill that I forgot the name.

• Talsidor says:

We’re releasing N64/PS1-inspired Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth on PC next month!

2. Rack says:

Looks lovely, but I’d be expecting a pretty dreadful story and worldbuilding.

3. Lukehei says:

Mystryl and Mystra were the first two incarnations of the goddess of magic in the Forgotten Realms, so the name “Mystralia” is… interesting.

4. suibhne says:

It’s interesting that Greenwood is branching into videogames, but I don’t think it’s much reason to get excited. The videogame output of the other major FR author, Salvatore, has been somewhere between “slipshod” and “just plain bad”, and Greenwood is certainly no less a hack than Salvatore. The FR isn’t exactly an imaginative setting, either. And heck, even legit authors like Richard Morgan typically disappoint in videogame writing.

The basic issue isn’t the authorship, I think, but the overall project design. I’d take a game like TW3 any day, where the actual design of the game integrates the writing and dialogue at a really fundamental and early stage, over a game like Crysis 3 that brings on a famous author to write what amounts to footnotes and marginalia.

5. King in Winter says:

I’m not sure putting mr. Greenwood’s name on a game is exactly good marketing. I remember reading his FR books when I was younger, and even back then I thought they were pretty terrible. I’m pretty sure my current self would be even more disappointed with his authorship.

• klops says:

Don’t know anything about Greenwood but Forgotten Realms sells, so sounds like a good idea. Many people like crappy fantasy, a good example of that is another FR author R.A. Salvatore with something like 15 million sold books.

• King in Winter says:

Well yes, the Realms has always sold well (to be clear, I’m speaking of the game product) so no doubt that’s what they are wanting to leverage here, not his literary exploits. Of course, it has been worked by many more people than just Greenwood (just look at the long list of names who can take credit for writing FR supplements across various D&D editions) but that’s not really something you want to bring up in marketing.

6. Jade Raven says:

This article us definitive proof that Mr Walker has never read anything written by Ed “So Genetic It Hurts” Greenwood. May he forever be spared the experience.