Total Warhammer’s Vampire Counts Debuted In Trailer

Total War: Warhammer Vampire Counts

Warhammer understands how to do vampires: not with glittering skin, conditioned hair and smart high street dress sense, but with unwieldy jagged armour, sharp weapons and general all-round evilness. The latest Total War: Warhammer [official site] in-engine cinematic unveils the Vampire Counts, the final and as-yet unseen playable race in The Creative Assembly’s adaptation of Games Workshop’s war-a-thon, which is due for release in May.

Up to now, we’ve seen the Dwarfs, the Greenskins and the Empire, and now its time for the Vampire Counts to sh- well, do a whole load of murdering in their hometown of Sylvania, a place devoid of sunshine.

Led to the battlefield by Mannfred von Carstein – which is a far more convincing vampire surname than Cullen, by the way – the vamps are out to claim the Old World as their own. The following trailer shows what sort of reception Empire Witch Hunters can expect from their blood-thirsty counterparts, and also offers a peak at the monstrosities that form those ranks, including bat-winged beasts, skeletons, the risen undead, and von Carstein’s pet zombie dragon. Obviously. Check it out:

Here’s The Creative Assembly with a bit more on the latest class:

“In the forsaken lands of Sylvania, the sun refuses to rise. Twisted, buckled trees and a windless mist herald the advance of a darkness that has haunted the nightmares of men for millennia. An unliving host advances, a tide of resurrected corpses, driven on by necromantic magic and the immortal will of their masters.

“Far from home, an Empire Witch Hunter seeking the source of this corruption will soon find that there are fates in the Old World far worse than death. The Vampire Counts have arisen, and today in this brand new in-engine trailer, they are unleashed.”

If this tickles your fancy, an exclusive Vampire Counts battle will be streamed live today at 6:00pm PDT/1:00am GMT on the Total War Twitch channel.

Total War: Warhammer was recently delayed from April 28 to May 24 in order to give reviewers more time to draw their conclusions. If you’d like to draw your own, it’s at EGX Rezzed at the beginning of April, as are RPS.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Horg says:

The ol’ monster ‘turn-‘n-scream’ trope has been so overused recently that its got about as much horror impact as saying ”hello”. Should a warewolf or some such attempt that at the local bus station on a dark and stormy night, i’d be more likely to ask if he was lost than cower in fear : |. Up your game, monsters, you can do better than this.

• PancakeWizard says:

The ‘turn and scream’ hasn’t reached the dull background noise level of the ‘Hi and roar with arms spread out’, though.

Still, yay zombie dragon!

• Phidelt230 says:

Way to miss the point of warhammer

• Turkey says:

Why would you even fear anything if you lived in Warhammer world? Every day is like storming the beach at Normandy.

2. kud13 says:

Not setting the haunting-looking forest on fire in front of yourself.

Amateur mistake.

• Sian says:

Setting the trees on fire probably wouldn’t have worked. Those are misty woods in a land where the sun apparently does not shine. The wood presumably is too wet to easily ignite and this empire does not have access to promethium.

3. OoooOoOOooh says:

Sylvanian Families really have changed over the years!

4. Chaz says:

Is alopecia one of the side effects of becoming a vampire then?

5. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Well they look rather lovely. If I get this (yeah yeah, I’m not preordering, okay?) I don’t know who I’d play first.

Don’t mind the stream being in the middle of the night for me as these things often have a fair bit of waffle and downtime, so being able to wake up and pick up on highlights/good bits is nice.

6. Zenicetus says:

Vampires, eh? I wasn’t very interested in this game because I don’t know much about the Warhammer universe, and what I do know from playing a few games like DOW2 seems a bit silly. Plus, the initial disaster that was Rome 2, although CA has salvaged that somewhat with Attila.

On the other hand… I could maybe get into playing a vampire faction like this in a Total War engine. Six months to a year after release, that is.

I’m seeing lots of production money in these trailers, but as usual with CA, it’s all about the AI and whether the game’s design exceeds the ability of the team to make it work.

• Phidelt230 says:

DOW is in a different universe, Warhammer 40k.

All warhammer lore is based upon taking existing tropes and genres and making them exaggerated for cool factor.

My main complaint is that Manfred Von Carstein here in the video is not talking like Bela Lugosi Dracula

• damoqles says:

“I don’t know much about the Warhammer universe, and what I do know from playing a few games like DOW2 seems a bit silly”

• Palladian says:

The Warhammer vampires are absurd and cheesy mish-mashes of various archetypes, but I personally adore the boldness of their design; the totally outlandish armour, over the top dialogue and the way in which (in the old miniatures game at least) designers attempted to work in the sillier powers like turning into a bat, fog or wolf.

7. kud13 says:

I can also see this becoming ridiculous, if after winning a battle, you raise a portion of defeated enemies as your soldiers.

Would make VCs ridiculous in early game attacks.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Attila had a mechanic where you could enlist enemy troops captured after a battle, boosted the replenishment of depleted units in your army. Vampires may have something like that just, you know, without the capturing part…

• Chem says:

Hey they capture enemies alive for brief periods. Even in the trailer they took one prisoner.

8. Ferno says:

Can’t wait to pick this up once I know it runs and I can get the complete game for a reasonable price!

9. SpakAttack says:

Is that Matt Mercer doing the head vampire voice?

10. Palladian says:

As someone who adored the Vampire Counts when I played Warhammer (admittedly years ago) this video is a delight. I love that they haven’t toned down the absurdity of the Warhammer Vampires.

I’ll be interested to hear the specifics of how resurrection works. If I recall correctly in at least the older editions of the miniatures games all your units had a good chance of coming back to life after they died, provided your leader unit (a vampire or necromancer) was alive and within a certain range. Obviously that’s a huge design challenge but I sincerely hope they embrace it and run with it so players can have actual undead hordes as opposed to reskinned Empire troops.

It would have to be pretty great to make me forget about the appalling mess this game has made of the pre-order bonus.

liquidsoap89 says:

and sort of Chaos.

That actually seems pretty good to me. I would have liked to see some more interesting races (Skaven obvs, but lizardmen or elves would have been cool too). Vampire Counts will probably get my vote as I used to roll with Tomb Kings (RIP), and VC’s skelly’s are about as close as I’ll get to a TK army any time soon :(

12. PhilBowles says:

Shame, I was hoping for campaign details. And the voice acting is annoying – not only does Mannfred appear to have the same voice actor as Grimgor, it really doesn’t fit the character or a vampire more generally.

13. dancindan2589 says:

Wait, VAMPIRE COUNTS!? I had no idea they were going to be in this game. Fuck it. Day-one purchase.