Homeworld: Deserts Of Kharak Gets First DLC

Anyone still playing Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak [official site], our first new Homeworld game in a hundred million years? It may have ditched the spaceships, but it did well at retaining the langorous pace and titanic scale. I had a good time, but I can’t pretend I’ve been back to it since release. Question is whether the first round of DLC is likely to pull distractable quitters like me back in.

The Soban Fleet Pack is a clutch of new units, including a whole new carrier, for Skirmish and multiplayer. No new story and no new maps, so it’s not really my kind of party, but the new toys look pretty neat and pleasingly industrial.

My main interest in any Homeworld game is the visual design, and the Kith Soban vehicles in the DLC certainly have a requisite touch of Foss to them. You get a new Carrier, Railgun, Baserunner and Battlecruiser all told, and while each one has some tweaked weapons, they don’t appear to represent an enormous remix of the units we already know.

The pack’s out March 22nd, which is next Tuesday, and will cost a perhaps slightly optimistic $6.99 (I don’t have a UK or Euro price yet, but would guess at £3.99 – £4.99). There are full details here, and Some Lore (warning: PDF) here, too.

It’s not quite enough to lure me back, though later DLC might change that. I’ll certainly be popping back into Homeworld Remastered Collection from time-to-time, though. Whaddaya think? Are you going Homeworld again?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Ethaor says:

44 playing an hour ago
    link to steamcharts.com

2. zxcasdqwecat says:

“Maximum effort”

3. Gap Gen says:

I actually thought the skirmish worked a bit better than the campaign in terms of unit balance – the late campaign game was dominated by cruiser blobs that weren’t that fun to use. Like you said, though, I spent most of my time on the campaign, and might not have bought it if it were skirmish only. Ah, well.

4. Alfius says:

The Homeworld universe has a weird thing about double vowels. Hence it’s properly rendered ‘kiith’, along with ‘Hiigara’, ‘Taiidan’, ‘Somtaaw’ and ‘Kuun-Lan’.

5. Shadow says:

Still holding off till a reasonable discount comes around, to compensate for the short campaign.

<20 hours of content + 50-dollar pricetag = no go

6. Catweasel says:

7 dollars for, among other things, a “top tier weapon” in their words. Eeeeh, fuck this.

7. TechnicalBen says:

Unless those are actual names. Might find they originate somewhere in history?

8. makute says:

Did they fix the atrocious performance and broken graphic options setup?

9. durruti says:

first of all:
    “a clutch of new units, including a whole new carrier”
    it’s skins for an existing models, with added turrets, for 7$. (someone correct me?)
    did they ever get around to animating carrier/battlecruiser tracks so they actually steer? looked jarring as heck.
    did they ever make their skirmish ai do something?

10. Captain Loco says:

I started the campaign but have been holding off in the hopes that they patch in a proper pause feature — even if they don’t allow me to issue unit orders in pause mode, I’d still like to line up some pretty screenshots as I play through the campaign.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not that much content if it’s supposed to bring people back.

12. Oktober Storm says:

Isn’t this game broken? Did they ever fix it?

13. fug says:

I’m slightly disappointed that Alec failed to mention that two new multiplayer/skirmish maps have already been released to the community for free, and a third map is due to drop in the next patch which is due end of this month.

14. Phasma Felis says:

Homeworld DLC.

I guess I was right to say “fuck this cynical cash-in” when they announced it.