Steam Charts: Farming, Factories And Fallouts

Yup, I’m trying to make this a regular thing again. I know you’re very excited about that. Bit late this week as I wasn’t around for the first two days of it, but there is still MUCH TO LEARN from the top-ten best-sellers on Steam last week.

It’s a strong mix of independent and mega-gazillion blockbuster; though the overall shape of the chart isn’t hugely surprising, the number one winnah perhaps is.

1. Stardew Valley

This is lovely to see. The indie, PC-only Harvest Moon-alike has had a right old rampage up the charts, proving that the mainstream PC game-player continues to be the least predictable of game-players. Perhaps, after being barraged with glossy shooters for several months (nix that – years) on the trot, there’s a real appetite for tranquillity instead of destruction.

2. Tom Clancy’s The Division

But the more things change, the more they stay the same. Ubisoft is deliriously happy with sales of its extremely online shooter and Destiny riposte, although I imagine there’s been some handwringing that they’re being outsold on PC by a farming simulator. We quite liked it, FYI.

3. Far Cry Primal

A good month for the French lot – the latest Far Cry continues to do well for itself, even if it’s a worrying sign of the series falling into a holding pattern. I quickly grew tired of Primal , but it sure is pretty.

4. Tom Clancy’s The Division Gold Edition

No, no, this is all wrong – you’re only allowed to call things Gold Editions when you re-release a budget collection with all the expansion packs two years later. Ubisoft have bent the rules and called an all-in-one buy containing the season pass and some other DLC nuggets their Gold version.

5. Fallout 4 Season Pass

Bethesda’s grab-bag of add-on content for it’s Quite Good But post-apocalyptic not-really-an-RPG-anymore is doing rather well for itself even though the price recently doubled. That happened as a result of the first chunk of DLC now being right around the corner.

6. Far Cry Primal

This here’s the marginally more expensive Apex Edition and its realistically slightly pointless weapon DLC. Shame we can’t see what the chart looks like if all the Division and Primal packs are lumped together – I wouldn’t be enormously surprised if the Division did topple Stardew if that were so.

7. Rise of the Tomb Raider

I don’t hear too many people talking about Lara’s latest now, but it’s hanging on in the charts – so clearly tons of people are quietly getting on with playing it by themselves without outwardly raving or ranting about it. This sort of tallies with my own experience of it: I enjoy the action and particularly the survival mode DLC, but the tale and characterisation leaves me too cold to have much to say about it.

8. Factorio

Good old Factorio, the management/construction game that anyone’s going to have a hard time beating. Following in the footsteps of Banished and Big Pharma, it proves that there’s a huge appetite for strategy that’s far more about construction than combat. So far, Paradox with their Cities: Skylines is the only bigger firm to take advantage of that. These things are surely fiddly little bastards to develop though, so I doubt anyone’s rushing into it willy-nilly.

9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

This is pretty much only likely to fall out of the top ten during the week of a big Steam sale. Question is, will it remain a paid game or eventually join Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 in the green and lucrative lands of free-to-play? Or does its ongoing refusal to do that signal that, even for Valve, the Old Ways are best after all?

10. SUPERHOT

Our chart is top’n’tailed by leftishfield independent offerings. In a month when The Division is doing trad. shootybang writ as large as possible, it’s great to see an alternative doing it writ as unusual as possible.

To recap, then:

New entries: The Division Gold Edition.

Dropped out: The Culling. Gone so soon?

Charts via PC gaming news stalwart Blues.

From this site

1. Cinek says:

SUPERHOT

The most innovative shooter we’ve played in years.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Can’t stop won’t stop.

• SyrusRayne says:

Y’know, there are reviewers that used that line. Without even the decency to say “Hey, this is a reference to a thing the game outright told me to say; I am but a cog in a shady machine.”

Rubs me the wrong way. Thankfully, I don’t think RPS was one of the places to do that.

2. KDR_11k says:

But Factorio isn’t combat free…

Xan says:

The price hike for Fallout 4 season pass has resulted in a ridiculous situation in Russia.

The Fallout 4 price and initial Season Pass price were calculated using a rather tame exchange rate, at 1999 and 1499 RUB respectively.

Then the Season Pass got a price increase. Normally, this was an increase 30 -> 50 USD, which is +66%, and still below the base game price of 60 USD.

In Russia, the exchange rate changed dramatically between the two pricings. As a result, the Pass is now 3599 RUB. That’s a +206% increase, and it puts it at 180% of the base game price.

• Butts says:

I never realized the ruble was abbreviated as RUB. Makes sense and all, but it’s kind of cute written out like that.

That price increase is bullshit, though.

• trueGamer says:

I bought F4 + Season Pass for about 50€ (here in Germany) which is a good price I think. It was a shop which introduced a new payment method and they had like 30% off if you order through that. Cool thing was that I had to go to my local supermarket to pay it in cash. Key was instantly delivered.
      When I heard Bethesda will increase the price of the SP I was even happier but then again it could be all just so they sell loads of them before the price goes up.

4. rexx.sabotage says:

Its a testament to the power of streamer cronyism that we often see the digested leavings of previously consumed Youtubber-bait briefly encroach on the fringes of the Steam charts.

Last week was the Culling, Hurtland before that, FNAF before that and probably some forgettable jump-scare shenanigans before that.

caff says:

I like this feature. I often check the Top Sellets list over the weekend and sometimes impulsively jump on the bandwagon.

• Aerothorn says:

Whereas Tom will forever be king of the Top Sellecks list.

caff says:

I like his moustache. It was a freudian slip. He’s on my mind a lot. I don’t want to talk about it.

6. RaunakS says:

I apologize if I’m being an idiot here but are steam top seller charts region specific? Since my list is slightly different: link to i.gyazo.com

Here’s what I see:
    1. Tom Clancy’s The Division™
    2. ARK: Survival Evolved
    3. Subnautica
    4. Stardew Valley
    5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    6. The Culling
    7. Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
    8. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
    9. Factorio
    10. Grand Theft Auto V

• Kitsunin says:

Someone brought up the same thing last — they aren’t region specific. I think the article was just written a smidge before the present, and they’re skipping things which were there last time as well (e.g. The Culling).

7. k47 says:

It’s hard to play Stardew Valley and Factorio back to back, they share the same perspective and toolbar, but the controls feel all backwards when I change from one to the other :(

Stardew Valley, I’m close to finishing the first year. Winter became a bit of a drag, can’t wait to reach Spring again.

Factorio, I’m up to robots, power armor and lvl 3 modules, trying to fight off the urge of sending everything to the trash and starting over, with a more efficient and cleaner factory (which I know I’m not capable off).

And SUPERHOT now fills the spot of “5 minute game” that I was filling with Downwell, though since I’m at the “no restart” challenge mode, I’m getting late to a lot of appointments.

• trueGamer says:

Yeah winter in SV is kind of depressing if you cannot farm anything. What’s interesting is how much you actually crave for spring again because of the drag. So realistic.

• ulix says:

There’s tons to do in winter. Most importantly try to upgrade your watering can not only to bronze, but to steel.
      With bronze you can water 3, with steel 5 tiles, all at once. Then there’s fishing, going to the mines, upgrading your animal-housing buildings, giving shit to villagers, etc.
      In Winter I for once wasn’t stressed. Can’t wait for winter of the second year…

• OscarWilde1854 says:

I agree about Winter. Not the most interesting part of the game by any stretch. I started enjoying it though when I planned more for it. ie. saving enough of the spring/summer/fall crops to give as gifts all winter to people (gave me MORE to focus on in the other seasons and something to do everyday in the winter).

I also started focusing more on things like mining, fishing, etc. to bring all my skills up to snuff. Honestly, the amount of mining you can get done if you go straight there at 7am (bring a lot of food for energy) and go as long as you can handle is absurd. You can do like 50 of the floors in one day. LOTS of gems/ minerals/ etc. Some days I make more in the winter than i ever would have in the other seasons.

That being said, you really have to plan for it (like real life, as a farmer i suppose), which adds more interest to the other seasons and the ‘big picture’

• anHorse says:

Winter in Stardew Valley was the point where I decided to just play Rune Factory again instead

8. Pfhor says:

CSGO will never go free to play because it will make cheating an even bigger problem in competitive matchmaking. At least now you have to buy the game again if you get banned for cheating, if it was F2P you could just create another account and go to town immediately.

9. NihlusGreen says:

Off topic, it’s disconcerting seeing banners emblazoned with “Xboxone” on this site, sure it’s for the Division but still

10. xfstef says:

The CS:GO community is worse enough as it is. If it goes free to play then all hell will brake loose. It’s better that there’s a paid entry to it.

11. Darth Gangrel says:

I very much like charts, I even visit Gamespot to look at their weekly UK chart, even though it only shows store bought games in the UK (which means very little PC game sales). Digital purchases is surely a big thing even in the UK, as well as in the USA when NPD shows their retail sales numbers. While inaccurate, those lists are still nice.

12. Unsheep says:

As if we haven’t been “barraged” by pixelated games as well.

Stardew Valley simply appeals a larger consumer base. It combines gameplay elements that are very popular these days, everything from open-world to dating sim and exploration. With this diversity its not hard to understand its success.

There’s also demographics to consider here, Stardew Valley is aimed at a younger audience than games like the Division, Fallout and Primal. This too has contributed to its wider consumer base.

The fact that Stardew Valley is popular with every major streamer is also a significant factor. Whenever a streamer picks a game to play it becomes free marketing for the game. Most gamers want to play whatever is popular, what every other gamer is playing.

With this in mind it actually *more* of a surprise to see the Division and Primal so high up in the charts, since they have not been met with much enthusiasm by media.

The success of Factorio and Superhot is driver by streamers and the media.

• Blackrook says:

Whoops – my daughter turned her nose up at Stardew Valley but I ended up playing it instead.
      Wanted something gentle away from FPS….

13. Carra says:

I love games that are about building and I wish that they could just focus on that. Currently playing Pharaoh and the only bad part so far is the combat. It’s the same with the Anno games. Why not just leave it out and focus on building?

• oyog says:

Have you played Banished? If you haven’t already it definitely sounds like something you’d enjoy.

14. XxBrentos9xX says:

I really enjoy these articles. Numbers and statistics are delicious with games.

15. Trackdoc says:

Counterstrike only stays in because of all the hackers getting banned, starting new steam accounts and buying a new CS licence. Wonder what the total number of CS GC sales is up to now, and how many were to accounts with the one game that then got Vac Cheat banned and closed?

16. Rince says:

To be fair, some people, me included, were waiting for an Harvest Moon type game for PC for YEARS. YEARS!!!

The amazing thing is that we got not only one, but two good ones!! (And a Wild Season… wich sadly is not that good).

World’s Dawn may not be a HUGE success like Stardew Valley, but it’s beautiful charming game, more relaxing than SV, and honestly all the people and relationships feels better in WD than in SV.

Anyways, I’m really happy to have two good Harvestmoonesque games.

17. go4brendon says:

I’m patiently waiting for a decent Tomb Raider patch (dx12?) so I can play it on Ultra on my Ultra PC.. too much to ask?