Ubisoft: The Division Had “Biggest First Week Ever For New Game Franchise”

Before I started writing this intro, I thought about making some god-awful joke about Tom Clancy and maths, and sales figures and The Division [official site]. I then realised Graham had beaten me to it. In that post, however, Mr Smith wrote about The Division’s impressive first day sales that set new Ubisoft records, as told by their company blog. Now, it seems The Division has broken yet more records, netting an estimated $330 million globally in its first five days – the “biggest first week ever for a new game franchise,” according to the publisher.

The latest Ubisoft Blog post also reports that concurrent users hit record peak levels of 1.2 million players over the course of last weekend, and that players clocked over 100 million hours roaming around the dystopian Manhattan streets in the game’s first week of release. When Graham checked the somewhat reliable SteamSpy data service last week, The Division appeared to have around 250,000 owners on Steam. That figure has since more than doubled.

Speaking to the numbers, Ubisoft’s CEO and co-founder, Yves Guillemot, said:

“The Division taking the top spot in the industry for first-week sales of a new franchise is a tremendous achievement. We are very proud of our teams, and humbled by and thankful for the millions of players who are giving us their feedback and support.

“The Division is the latest example yet of our unique ability to deliver immersive gaming playgrounds that keep players engaged, and that they eagerly share with their friends and community.”

As for Steam concurrent users, SteamSpy reckons this number reached just shy of 114,000 players last weekend. Given the fact that The Division is a multiplayer game, these statistics bode well for its longevity, as future support will be hinged on the number of returning players to its virtual battlegrounds. Graham and Adam spoke at length recently about why they’ve enjoyed their time in post-apocalyptic New York thus far, and Brendan mostly enjoyed his time for reasons discussed in his review.

In any event, these figures are impressive. “On top of record-breaking sales, player engagement is the highest ever for any Ubisoft title, demonstrating, among other things, that our investments in our online infrastructure and services are paying off,” said Stephanie Perotti, Ubisoft’s vice president of online services. “We are delivering an online experience that’s on par with the best in the industry, and that matches the quality and connectivity demanded by The Division and its players.”

From this site

1. ramirezfm says:

You might say it was an iconic week for the iconic franchise. Wink wink.

• Darth Gangrel says:

But unlike Watch_underscore_Dogs, which had protagonist Aiden Pearce sporting his (according to Ubisoft) “iconic” cap link to usgamer.net, I don’t see any type of iconic clothing here. Surely, that’s a missed opportunity by Ubisoft.

2. Turkey says:

Tom Clancy’s New Game Franchise

• -Spooky- says:

Tom Clancy’s The Division: New York // Tom Clancy’s The Division: Washington D.C // Tom Clancy’s The Division: Boston // Tom Clancy’s The Division: The Last Ship (just .. cause!) etc. etc.

Speaking of .. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands coming next

• Turkey says:

So Ubisoft basically has Tom Clancy’s severed hand laying around somewhere in their offices.

• int says:

Tom Clancy’s Long Division

• The Algerian says:

Here’s hoping the success of The Division won’t make them turn this one into a bullet-sponge shooter too.

3. Utsunomiya says:

Damn, I still remember an era when Tom Clancy games had, ironically, depth and actual standards.
    Those were good times.

• -Spooky- says:

depth? actual? did i played the wrong games? or we are talking about the early Rainbow Six ones? Plan the route for hours, dying withhin minutes?

• Cinek says:

Yep, that would be it. Some of the best tactical games ever.

• SyCo_Venom says:

So because they tried something new that is a bad thing? If they don’t try something new people get on them because it is not new.

Hell they put on a beta so people could try out before they even got the game and it still sold this well. But still people complain because they didn’t let reviewers review it early. How can you properly review a online game that is built around playing missions with others and fighting others in a multiplayer area when there’s no one else to play with?

I mean I get it if you don’t like the gameplay or care for that style. But I think a lot of the people just want to jump on the bandwagon because it is ubisoft and Tom Clancy. Herd mentality at its best bahhhhhh bahhhhh.

• Distec says:

I don’t think the argument was necessarily that “new is bad”.

It’s that Nu Tom Clancy games don’t really hew to the style they were originally known for and make numerous concessions for mass market appeal. I think this is a pretty uncontroversial statement to make.

Of course, if you liked older Tom Clancy games, of course Nu Tom Clancy is shit.

(Couldn’t care one way or the other about The Division specifically, although I’m intrigued to give it a go.)

• Ethaor says:

Hopefully the yet-to-be announced Tom Clany Raving Rabbids shall save the day. Or not.

• UncleLou says:

I guess that was the same era then when gamers actually had played games before they slagged them off. Good times.

[I don’t know if you have played it. But I have noticed that it seems to be the new thing to hate for some people who’ve never tried, although it’s actually damn good.

And I couldn’t resist. :-) ]

4. vorador says:

This troubles me, since it validates ripping off Destiny’s mechanics, which i’m not fond of.

I’m fully expecting in five years to be that old fart that goes all teary about the time where games had separate single player and multiplayer experiences, before yelling at kids to get off his yard or something.

• Sandepande says:

The Division works just fine solo. Safe houses have some usernamed people running about but that’s about it.

• cqdemal says:

Solo still isn’t offline singleplayer though. I don’t think the distinction will ever go away until we literally have high-speed Wi-Fi everywhere.

Not knocking the game at all. 43 hours in and still loving it.

• SyCo_Venom says:

But the game is designed to be played online for the most part. Sure you can do the solo missions and going to the dark Zone solo bit half of excitement is the fear of others attacking you and the chance that you could lose some good gear. It makes you think a little bit and be a little more strategic when you know that at any time you could be attacked.

And if you don’t like always being online there are plenty of games out there that are built that way.

• Artist says:

Solo is rather designed this way to have an even stronger DRM. Thats what Ubi learnt from Elite Dangerous, who ripped out SP to keep a strong “always online” DRM for Solo mode.

• Blastaz says:

link to penny-arcade.com

This was true five years ago. Why do you need high speed wifi almost everywhere for a game you play at home?

• Sandepande says:

When every game is online-only and my internet dies, I’ll just have to do something else than play games, I suppose. Maybe read a book. Or take a walk.

5. Shellyjerry says:

I have been earning upto $5000 to $8000 each month since Last August by working online on my laptop for 5 to 8 hours daily. previously I thought the job will be tough but contrast to opinion it was too easy sometime i myself wonder how easy the job is for such a big money if You too are interested then Visit…,,

║║Check my S☸urce║║ ✪ ••••••••••••► http://www.working247.tk

6. OscarWilde1854 says:

This just in: Tom Clancy’s The Division 6 announced!

Seriously though… nothing against the game. But I do miss when a game could be a successful GAME and didn’t have to become a successful ‘IP’… everything doesn’t HAVE to have a sequel (or 743… *cough*Assassin’s Creed*cough*…)

• Artist says:

Companies care for their shareholders first. And shy innovation. So they cant risk to develop a game that might flop, so instead they milk their franchise. As long as the monkeys buy in its a safe cash grap.

• Slazer says:

This is an MMO, so you bestter milk it with DLCs, addons and IAPs instead of making a new game in the future (Dark Age of Camelot says Hi).

Actually that is also the better way for the player

7. Enso says:

I don’t understand why us regular folk should care about news like this. it’s basically for their shareholders. The same with films and their opening week.

When you consider how little deep research the majority of people will do into a film or game (maybe see a Facebook news article. They don’t really follow blogs or check out previews from expos) then what does it really say about the quality of a product that they haven’t seen (in the case of films) or played.

Opening week figures are just really a back patting exercise for the marketing department.