Blizzard Update Warcraft III For Your Modern OS

After blowing off the dust from Diablo 2 to make it work more smoothly on modern systems, Blizzard have moved on and polished another one of their classics, 2002’s Warcraft 3 [official site]. The patch was released last Tuesday, and the notes promise future updates to the gameplay alongside additional fixes.

RPS would like to offer you this space to take a short break and longingly reminisce about how quickly these 14 years have passed.

The changelog for Patch 1.27a is extremely similar to that of Diablo, focusing on support for Windows 7, 8 and 10 and Mac 10.10 and 10.11, but there are still a few issues to fix, and the patch itself seems to have brought new problems for some. One of the most common issues, missing msvcr120.dll, requires users to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Package.

Mostly though, players on the Blizzard forum and on Reddit have been complaining about the very high ping and huge number of hackers as what really prevents them from enjoying the game. Blizzard have announced that they “are working on a balance change and new map pool” to be released in a future patch, so there is definitely hope that these concerns may be addresses after all. Also, if the rumours were true, it should be Starcraft’s turn to get a patch now.

The third Craft of War is the 34th best Strategy Game of all time. Will you be jumping back in for a game? Did you ever leave at all?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

The patch notes seem a bit odd to me. They have as many regressions as they do fixes! Disabled ambient sound, indeed?

But yes, hope for the future! Maybe the next patch will include a new Rexxar(-style) campaign too. ;D

• TheOneKnownAsMe says:

The staff over on were contacted by Blizzard regarding future patches, and we were able to communicate with the rest of the community about ideas and suggestions to blizzard. A number of staff, including Ralle and Archian, had a meeting with blizzard, and while we can’t say much, lets just say that the future of Warcraft 3 should be much more exciting, and Blizzard is well aware of the community’s concerns.

2. Great Cthulhu says:

Thanks for break. I was indeed about to be lost in contemplation on the passing of time.

Still 20 bucks to get the game and expansion from Blizzard’s shop. Seems a bit much for a 14 year old game.

• Plake says:

you can get the base game for 8 bucks and the expansion forn5 on kinguin(dot)com =)
      Maybe you’re lucky and you still find a code for the warchest edition (all warcrafts and expansions withour WORLD in its name in 1 box)

• Arkayjiya says:

If you already have the game you can register it on your account for free. If you don’t then yeah there are cheaper ways to buy it. Still it’s technically good enough (and such an extraordinary game) that it’s definitely worth that price to me, at least compared to what video games I can buy for the same price.

3. Zekiel says:

I remember being quite excited by the trailer that came on the game disc about something called “World of Warcraft”. Until I found out it was a multiplayer-only game. And then it was too successful and so killed the Warcraft RTS franchise.

*shakes fist*

4. manio22 says:

Thanks, i was needed that space…*stares in horizon*.

5. unraveler says:

Did they already added the option for keys binding? Or I still need to play Twister every time I pick different hero?

6. Parrilla says:

“… and huge number of hackers…”

Seems bizzare. What do people get from hacking in a game almost 15 years old.

7. BigPrimeNumbers says:

So even though the app says WC3 is Windows only, I can buy it and safely assume it will install on my modern Mac?

• Rufust Firefly says:

System requirements seem to indicate it will work on OSX Yosemite or El Capitan and 2GB of memory. Now I’m trying to remember what it says on the original box…

• xfrog says:

Ι installed it on El Capitan and it works. The original boxed game came with a serial number, that you can add to your account. Then you can download the game for your OS.

8. kud13 says:

Wait, didn’t they already make Starcraft play nice with 64-bit OS when Wings of Liberty came out?

I swear my box had a flash drive with a copy of the original Star Craft on it.

9. NathaI3 says:

Both Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne are £6.99 each on! Give them away for free and I’ll give this new patch a go!

10. KFee says:

I need a native widescreen ratio :(