Nine Doom Multiplayer Maps In Less Than A Minute

It may not look especially like the Doom [official site] we’re familiar with, but the latest 43-second trailer for the incoming reboot offers a brief glimpse of the nine multiplayer maps we’ll be running and gunning around in in a couple of month’s time. Come see that in motion, as well as some related words after the drop.

First off, regardless of the following video’s title, this is hardly Doom’s “Multiplayer Maps Explored”. At 43 seconds long, it’s barely a teaser, but it’s pretty neat nevertheless:

Blink and you missed it, right? Such a whirlwind visit makes it difficult to get a sense of what’s what, however Bethesda offer these handy map descriptions for clarity’s sake:

Excavation: A modest-sized UAC mining outpost. Watch out for the rock grinder!

Infernal: A mid-sized Hell map with both interior and exterior elements. Lots of platforms and chasms, along with teleporters.

Chasm: This massive map takes you deep below the polar ice caps of Mars. A great place to play Freeze Tag.

Disposal: This smaller map is the main waste processing facility for the UAC research and residential complexes. Unsurprisingly, it’s full of radioactive slime.

Helix: This is where they experiment on demons and develop advanced weaponry. Which, naturally, makes it perfect for a quick round of Clan Arena.

Perdition: Disjointed and sadistic, this ancient arena is populated by the agonized moans of unfortunate souls who have suffered within its realm.

Sacrilegious: Set within a fracture of Hell, this map offers clear lines of sight. Move fast… or die faster.

Heatwave: An industrial UAC facility with glistening halls that will soon be slicked with human (and demon) blood.

Beneath: Before being beamed to Earth, the energies of Hell are harnessed in this symmetrical and cavernous location.

You can now sort-of match those up with the trailer. With regards to the maps that house bounce pads, so say Bethesda, both humans and demons can use them to their advantage. The same applies to teleporters, however weapon-fire sadly can’t be beamed from one location to another. In standard Doom fare, explosive barrels line the paths of all maps, however you’ll also want to watch out for “hazard canisters” this time round. These emit radioactive slime post-detonation, you see, which continues to deal damage for a limited time after contact.

Other levels are completely surrounded by this glowing muck which, indecently, only harms humans. So too does fire. So too does energy and plasma. Stupid vulnerable humans. Lava and pits of death instantly kills both humans and horrors, though, so at least our deficient species has that to vaguely hold onto.

“You’ll need to stay in constant motion to stay alive; every map is constructed to keep the action brutally fast-paced,” say Bethesda. “These multi-tiered combat arenas are littered with hazards, and packed with items that can turn the tide of combat at a moment’s notice. And while they all have secrets for you to uncover, none of them are built to allow for easy sniping or hiding points.”

Doom is due for release on May 13, 2016. Details on how to get involved in the closed beta, that kicks off at the end of this month, can be found over here.

From this site

1. Servicemaster says:

After playing the latest Wolfenstein, I think I’m sold on the new Doom. But I’m skeptical it’ll be bought up like The Division was and even more skeptical after I was hurt when I bought Titanfall.

There’s just too many games out there to play and big multiplayer groups are hard to come by now that Hyper Chess (mobas) have diseased so many gamers. Thank god Rocket League saved me over the winter and I have no doubt it was thanks to the Console/PC crossplay.

I think the multiplayer climate has changed too much for Doom’s mp to be relevant in 2016 but we’ll see.

2. SuperMatt says:

Kinda upset there’s no Edge level. No matter what, I cannot find any multiplay level in any game that I love more than that one.

3. unraveler says:

Trying to please both old school classic Doom, and casual console players. I wander which kind of salad we will get at the end!

• fiendling says:

I suspect a rather disappointing salad. Old school Doom players are the diametrical opposite of the average console FPS gamer. It is impossible to please both.

• jon_hill987 says:

Like amphibious cars. They make crap cars and even worse boats.

• Jackablade says:

Me: “Hm. That looks a bit sluggish compared to Quake 3 and id’s other multiplayer games”
          My Brain: “Shut up. That means we might still have the reflexes to play this thing”
          Me: “Carry on”

• Jackablade says:

My Brain: “Well that was a dumb. Now we both look crazy. Pay attention to where you’re replying next time, stupid”

4. Don Reba says:

Doesn’t look as pretty as Overwatch.

5. Kefren says:

I always just played Doom multiplayer on the basic maps – E1M4, E2M6 etc. Since they were designed for a different purpose it made them amazingly real-feeling, with unexpected features and twists, rather than being designed as “multiplayer maps” which tend to be even and fair and balanced (and boring). These new-fangled kids.

• Richard Parker says:

This is a brilliant point. We have become accustomed to the idea that MP maps should be balanced, which reflects the rise of e-sports. And, in that context, balance makes sense.

Perhaps that’s why I enjoy asymmetrical MP games like Left 4 Dead and R6 Siege so much: they feel a bit more varied, less homogeneous, since the asymmetrical gameplay mechanics lend themselves to less geometrically perfect, streamlined arenas.

• Bweahns says:

I find RTS games with perfectly balanced maps the most boring of all. My mates always want me to play SC2, but I always want to play Company of Heroes instead.

6. syllopsium says:

2-3 levels look ok, the others are terribly generic and too similar to other FPS I’ve seen. Needs to do better.. Then again, I can’t be bothered with competitive multiplayer FPS any more, and I’m absolutely fine with unfair levels – it’s fun if you all die occasionally.

corinoco says:

“With no easy places for sniping”

What? You’ve just removed all the fun! Not everyone who played the original Doom was an ADHD 12 yr old full of pseudo ephedrine. Some of us were more sedate, and preferred accuracy over frenetics.

Spawn camping – well that was just unsporting. But nothing was better than riling up crazies by ‘camping’ – taunting ‘then just come and shoot me instead of whining’. The old maps always had good spots for sniping, but always with an element of risk. Nothing worse than getting all cosy with the Q2 rail gun than the sudden jangle of a ‘bongbong’ as we used to call grenades.

Why the issue with camping & sniping? They’re valid tactics!