Hitman Gets New Missions; Also A ‘Vampire Magician’

Calm yourself: the quasi-episodic Hitman [official site] hasn’t yet stuffed a whole new environment into its elegantly-tailored trousers. It’s still strictly Parisian (plus that boat/harbour map from the tutorial), but the devs are continuing to try and wring as many remixes from that huge fashion show palace as they can. A little while ago, the game updated with two new Escalation missions, which set specific challenges intended to make a familiar map suitably tricsky all over again. Specific challenges such as dressing as a ‘vampire magician.’

Goddamnit all, I play games for a break from reality – the last thing we vampire magicians want is to recreate our day jobs in sandbox stealth sims.

The stated aim of the consciously playful Escalation missions is to challenge how well you know the map, and best of all sometimes lure you into new locations. There’s a ton of Hitman’s Paris I haven’t skulked around yet; while the greedy part of me hungers for a whole new map ASAP, conceptually I love the idea that one level can keep on giving in unexpected ways. For instance:

“The Holmwood Disturbance” challenges you to eliminate Faustin D’Aoust with a firearm while wearing the vampire magician disguise. Escalations include adding an additional target, disallowing pacifications, limiting you to a single exit point and adding more security cameras.

and

“The Mandelbulb Requiem” gives you a contract on Michel Charest while wearing a Palace Staff disguise. Making things harder, you will eventually need to find and hack a laptop, eliminate Lance Artois while wearing a different, specific, disguise, dodge more security cameras and finally get around deadly laser tripwires throughout the palace.

More details here.

These sound proper hard. I probably need to practice a bit more first.

As I understand it, these are free to anyone who purchased either the full season pack thingy or just the first mission. There’ll be more every week until a full new map releases, which will require an extra payment from those who didn’t buy the full-on £40 bundle.

From this site

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Vampire magicians? Oh, dammit, now I want to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines as a Tremere and I was doing so well with reducing my backlog.

• Dr Biffo says:

Yes but VTM isn’t exactly the only “vampyre” game, is it? I mean, I’m currently knee deep in Bethesda’s Skyrim with Vampires all over the place…

• Darth Gangrel says:

I haven’t played Skyrim (or any Bethesda game really), so I don’t know how their vampires are like, but do they have magic? Even if they do, it’s not certain that they qualify for “vampire magicians” while the Tremere’s defining feature is that they, and only they, deal in blood magic (at least they try to keep it that way).

• April March says:

I’d play only Vampire: The Masquerade. I got enough d10’s lying around.

2. iucounu says:

You know, I’m really enjoying this Hitman. Feels like a return to form.

3. GAmbrose says:

I actually found the Vampire costume the first time I played the map.

Wondered what the point of it was.

Cross says:

I’m already up to level 4 of the Mandelbulb Requiem, and while the climbing bits especially get repetitive, the spanners it throws in your works force you to be creative all over again, and here, no opportunities are gonna help you.

5. The Sombrero Kid says:

i wasn’t sure how i felt about the economic model before release but i bought it anyway, after release i can say that it looks like it’s going to be a shining example of variable pricing. It’s already the second best Hitman in my book and there’s still more to come!

I will say, i didn’t know it had an online requirement before I bought it, I wouldn’t’ve bought it if I’d known and I feel like I was tricked into that. Here’s hoping they patch it out asap.

6. unitled says:

I completed ‘The Holmwood Disturbance’ the evening it was released, the escalation maps are a definite surprise hit for me. There’s usually an ‘ah HA!’ moment around level 4 that forces a restriction on your that makes you figure out the way you ‘should’ have been doing the earlier ones. All smug, you finish the mission like that.

Then level 5 throws a spanner in the works by turning a crucial bit of it upside down.

This Hitman has definitely got two thumbs way up from me, I only wish it wasn’t another 2+ weeks until the next episode!

7. Drhank says:

We desperately need more good vampire games. So far your only options are Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (which is absolutely amazing, but: outdated), or Skyrim (which is buggy and not really a main part of the game). I’m contemplating whether Elder Scrolls Online has any good vampire element to it, but I’ve yet to play that (MMO burnout) so I wouldn’t really know.

• Blackcompany says:

Agreed. Magical powers; super strength; amazing speed; a penchant for finding their way into and out of violent encounters; politicking, stealth, combat…

Why isnt every other game about Vampires? How did we reach a place where a protagonist with ALL OF THESE THINGS isnt featured in 2/3 three games made? Its genre begging for games…

8. Mi-24 says:

This makes me a lot more inclined to purchase this

9. CaptainPerhaps says:

Although this episodic business is getting a lot of stick, I’m rather enjoying it. It forces you to get the most out of the (very detailed and deep) level that they have created. When 10-20 smaller levels are released all at once it tends to be too easy to smash through it quickly and never really get round to replaying then differently. I think they’ve been very bold with this new approach and fair play to them!