Bruce Things Up A Little: Telltale’s Batman Detailed

Last year, when Adam first reported Telltale were developing an episodic Batman [official site] game, he said: “I really really really really really really really hope that 90% of the game has me playing as Bruce Wayne, trying to pick the most obnoxious behaviours possible so as to maintain my cover as the world’s shittiest billionaire playboy.”

While it’s unclear if socialite sabotage will be possible at this stage, it does seem as though Adam’s wish will be granted as Telltale have now confirmed players will spend more time in control of the man behind the mask.

Set in modern day Gotham, Telltale’s “living comic book”-styled take on the caped crusader includes a familiar cast – Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya, among others – but unfolds in a universe separate to any existing comic book and movie adaptations; which means no Robin or Nightwing, so said Telltale during panel at last weekend’s SXSW.

No mention of villains just yet, however storywise the game’s focus is on both Batman and Bruce Wayne and how their lives intertwine, with player decisions directly tied to daytime outcomes via Bruce and scenarios after dark via the Bat. Here’s Telltale on the basics:

Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.

Drawing inspiration from the works of over 75 years of Batman artists, apparently, the Telltale engine will also be “very upgraded” by the time their episodic slant on Batman arrives this summer. Telltale sadly haven’t released any screens nor videos beyond the teaser that released last year so let’s instead have another swatch at that:

From this site

1. Jac says:

How upgraded? “Very upgraded”.

As much as I enjoy telltale games the engine clearly needs very upgrading at the minimum.

Not really a big batman fan, but will probably give this a whirl on the strength of playing their other games having zero knowledge of the source material.

• piedpiper says:

I am playing “Game Of Thrones” now. It is painful to see. I mean literally. My eyes are bleeding over those textures and animation makes me nervously giggle every time when I see something especially atrocious. Oh, you should the Margaery when IT moves!

• piedpiper says:

Missed *see*. How I hate we can’t fix mistakes we made ourselves.

• thelastpointer says:

Seems like the lead engine programmer is doge.

• tomimt says:

Is “very upgraded” more than “a lot upgraded” or “more upgraded”?

In any case, I do hope they “really upgrade” it. Their engine, while it has serviced them to this day, has shown its age for a good while now. It’s been somewhat amusing to watch how their little engine manages to couff and stutter on machines that run grahically heavier games without a hitch.

2. gunny1993 says:

Every piece of Batman adaption lives and dies by it’s villains, this seems like a great matchup for Telltale, hope we see Mr Freeze; Joker has been done a lot and I need time to cool down from him.

3. sweenish says:

Here’s hoping XInput makes it in. Very disappointed that TWD S2 doesn’t work with an Xbox One controller.

• Fabio Silva says:

I have a Xbox One and a Steam Controller and neither works with Telltale games. And with the Michonne minisseries, using the Xbox One controller hangs the game frequently, making it unplayable.

• Javier says:

Can’t really remember what I played the others with, but I did recently play GoT and TftB with an Xbox One controller and it worked just fine.

4. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Aw, I was hoping the whole Bat-familly might make it in. Even in Arkham Knight their presence felt more like an afterthought than a real integral part of the game. Still, the Bruce/Batman stuff sounds like a great idea, and one that’s very much suited to Telltale’s strengths.

5. RedViv says:

Nice, so it’s sort of like the All-Star Superman, exploring the subject far more than just plain playing another story. Glad this is happening, I mean, THERE IS NO ALL-STAR BATMAN COMIC SO DEFINITELY SOMEONE SHOULD DO THIS WITH THE MAN WOT IS A BAT.

• sweenish says:

There is, unless you’re choosing to ignore it. It wasn’t nearly as well done as All-Star Superman.

• Mags says:

I believe the all-caps symbolise someone figuratively sticking fingers in their ears and going LALALALACANTHEARYOU everytime someone mentions it.

6. jonfitt says:

I like the idea of this. So many Batgames overlook the more than half of his life where he is Bruce Wayne. At most it is used as a filler dialog section between punch sessions.

7. int says:

I hope they get Adam We.

8. ZippyLemon says:

My name is Bruce.

My body is ready.

9. capn.lee says:

not confirming kevin conroy for the role of batman is a bad sign

10. Monggerel says:

Not really sure why my brain defaulted to “Bantam” instead. A Telltale boxing game sounds like the worst thing ever.

• Geebs says:

‘Glass Joe won’t remember that’

• Jalan says:

TellTale Presents The Fighter: An Episodic Saga

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Hehe yeah, just 5 hours of WIRes then at the end one dialogue option

“……….”
      “……….”
      “……….”
      “AAAADRIAAAAAN!”

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Ugh WIRes…. That’s meant to say QTEs, for the love of God RPS add an edit function. There is literally someone complaining about it in every article.

Risingson says:

Sounds more and more like an infocomic.

12. jomala says:

I think Telltale will do a great job of this, but then I’ve really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us. The clash between Bruce Wayne and Batman is something really solid for the writers to get their teeth into.

I’d probably go with a couple of the female baddies. They tend to get fairly trite treatments, but they have a much better chance of interacting with Bruce as well as Batman. Baddies with public faces have most potential, I think. I’m no expert in the canon, but that discounts Joker and Freeze I believe.

13. nanotechnics says:

Great, the idea of a Telltale Batman game is awesome.

14. Booker says:

“the Telltale engine will also be “very upgraded” by the time their episodic slant on Batman arrives this summer. ”

ZOMG. It really is shocking to me to read stuff like this. It’s not like an engine lite freaking Unreal 4 is available for FREE. Oh wait… IT IS.

Their Jedi Knight engine, that was created 20 years ago, that they are using till today was great 15 years ago, but seriously dudes…

15. Sentinel Red says:

Can I call up Applied Sciences and devote its entire budget to homeless shelters, education and rehabilitation of prisoners then spend the rest of the evening schmoozing and boozing with high society? That sounds like a fun way to play Bruce Wayne for a change.