Overwatch’s First Animated Short Introduces Winston

Overwatch is less like Team Fortress 2 than it initially appears, but one of the ways in which it is similar is that Blizzard are producing a series of short animated trailers to introduce each of its characters. That begun last night with this first video introducing Winston, the “super-intelligent, genetically engineered gorilla” pictured above. You can watch it below.

I liked this.

I’m unlikely to ever get seriously in to playing Overwatch, but I couldn’t get enough of the Team Fortress 2 shorts when they were being released and I’m thrilled at having more like it. I’ll watch animation all day if given the opportunity – I recommend the yearly output of students at Gobelins, if you’re similarly inclined – and the animation here is slick and easy on the eye.

I’m also at the very least intrigued to learn more about Overwatch’s world. It’s comic book-y and Winston is basically the Beast from X-Men mashed together with Gorilla Grodd and a dozen other ‘smart gorilla’-types, but I like all those things, too. The video above introduces not just Winston but the world the characters inhabit, in which continuing world strife tempts Winston to recall the superheroes Overwatch, who have been outlawed and its members scattered far and wide.

You should just watch it. It goes well with your morning coffee break.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Top comments

1. Turkey says:

Wearing someone else's prescription glasses is a good way to fuck your eyesight up for life. Way to go, doc.
  1. ran93r says:

Good Job Winston, Pre-Order activated… not even played the beta, no regrets!

2. Don Reba says:

It’s kind of odd that being super-intelligent, well-equipped, and inhumanly strong doesn’t even give you an edge over a dwarf with a hammer.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Not a dwarf, a swedish engineer (just roll with it.) And in Winston’s defence, it’s a really nice hammer.

FhnuZoag says:

Interesting… I was assuming these would be more comedic in tone.

4. Tony M says:

Slick animation. But the writing doesn’t hold a candle to Team Fortress shorts. Thats Blizzard v Valve in a nutshell.

• Horg says:

Blizzard wields schmaltzy sentimentality like a blunt instrument, hoping to relentlessly bludgeon the viewer into feeling empathy for their characters.

• LionsPhil says:

They really do need better writers.

5. LennyLeonardo says:

This is pretty great, although it’s really irresponsible to let your child use your prescription glasses. It would more likely cause permanent visual impairment than ideological awakening.

• LionsPhil says:

I was going to suggest they’re a plain-glass fashion accessory, but they do appear to be functioning as lenses when he’s playing with them.

• Don Reba says:

They seem broadly misinformed about how glasses work.

6. Geebs says:

Oh for crying out loud Blizzard. Having a gorilla character: fine. Calling him “Winston”? Cue (pretty reasonable) Internet Outrage in 5….4….3….

7. Zankman says:

Well made and charming; Good choice for the first short.

I heard the “Druid Bear Form” roar, tho, haha.

Also, the edgy Reaper character reminds me of Darth Nihilus.

Also also, the white-haired woman seen in the pictures is sooo pretty.

Also also also, damn, Tracer’s voice is… Is that, like, a parody?

• ran93r says:

To be fair, the voices in both TF2 and Dirty Bomb are all over-egged accents.

• LionsPhil says:

TF2 doesn’t repeat the same line within the space of ten minute gameplay trailers, though, which is a huge influence on how grating it can/can’t be.

• FriendlyFire says:

TF2 doesn’t attempt to have any seriousness or plot though, and even then I’d say the accents aren’t quite this exaggerated.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s future English. One day you’ll all talk like that. Still better than ‘would of’.

8. LionsPhil says:

…wasn’t the first animated short their teaser one from Blizzcon 2014?

(And they’re still sticking to Tracer’s godawful voice.)

• Assirra says:

Of course they are, she is by far the most popular as a character.
      Changing her voice at this point would cause a riot.

• Smoof says:

What’s wrong with it?

• ran93r says:

To British ears it sounds like an American trying too hard to pull off a “Dick Van Dyke”.

I don’t have a major problem with her accent in the round, everyone’s accent is a little stereotypical but knowing how a London accent should (in general) sound like makes it a little hard to get used to.

9. DThor says:

Blizzard takes itself waaaay too seriously – the tone of this is Pixar Lite. Really lite. The game looks like more of the same. I shall engage my snide algorithm now and say that Overwatch looks like TF2 for CoD fans.
    /drops mike…

• LennyLeonardo says:

Pick that up and get my amps from the van.

• Foosnark says:

Yup, video is Pixar Lite, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I dislike CoD and thought Overwatch was a ton of fun during that stress test weekend. It’s more like a (sometimes) slightly less wacky TF2, with some cooler and more varied mechanics.

10. Keios says:

Oh neat, that explains the smashed window and general state of disrepair in the Watch Point: Gibraltar start room.

11. Turkey says:

Wearing someone else’s prescription glasses is a good way to fuck your eyesight up for life. Way to go, doc.

• Smoof says:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, as someone who has worn glasses for neigh 30 years now.

• Aerothorn says:

I haven’t been able to find any source for this information (just the Mayo Clinic saying it’s a myth, for adults anyway – they don’t address children). Can you link something?

• LionsPhil says:

It’s not the definitive reference you’re looking for by a long shot, but it’s been a consistent theme across opticians for me that wearing the wrong prescription will interfere with your eyes, because of our brain/body’s double-edged sword of making-do and compensating.

It’s inaccuate to call that eye damage, and it’s not so much permanent as potentially pushing you in the wrong direction over quasi-long terms, but it does screw with your ability to see properly throught the right corrective lenses (presumably including “none”) for you.

• welverin says:

It would be bad for children since our eyes develop based on how we use them (e.g. spend a lot of time looking at things up close as a child and you’ll end up near sighted), so wearing someone else’s glasses would mess up their eyesight.

12. Yargh says:

I’m somewhat surprised more people aren’t remarking on the similarity to Super Monday Night Combat’s Cheston: link to mondaynightcombat.wikia.com

13. alphax1983 says:

It’s great to see more african-american characters in video games. Letl’s get rid of the racist/sexist macho white 30-something male hero stereotype for good !