Steam Charts: Dinosaurs, Depths & Deception

Fans Of Things Not Staying Exactly The Same All The Time will be glad to hear that the latest weekly Steam top ten is quite a changed one from the previous week. A new number one, surprise re-entries and a loosening of Ubisoft’s chokehold on the charts.

1. Tom Clancy’s The Division

Ubisoft’s realish world Destinyalike continues to sell a storm. Inevitably, that means the internet is pretty evenly split between loves it and hates it. Team RPS is pretty keen on it, but I’ve yet to play it because I’m still too busy watching virtual reality whales over and over again.

2. Stardew Valley

The indie Harvest Moon is the most surprise success of 2016 so far. Granted, it’s been knocked off the number one spot by The Division, but come on, what an achievement nonetheless.

3. ARK: Survival Evolved

The double whammy of a 40% off (now 33%) sale and the surprise release of free battle royale variant Survival Of The Fittest pushed Ye Olde Dinosaure Survivale Game back into the higher echelons of the charts. There have been many high-concept online survival games over the last couple of years, but ARK’s got remarkable staying power.

4. Tom Clancy’s The Division Gold Edition

The Gold Edition – i.e. a fancy name for a season pass bundle – hangs onto the number four spot. Sales of this combined with the standard edition probably put The Division’s total sales far, far above anything else, if my completely fabricated maths is correct. While it’s a good week for Ubisoft, it should be noticed that the two Far Cry Primal editions have both dropped out of the top ten now.

5. The Culling

A return to the top ten for the survival+crafting Hunger Games/Battle Royale/Hunger Games multiplayer title. I’m still undecided as to whether this will hang around for long – it’s got potential, but it doesn’t feel quite right yet.

6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

The only game which could possibly supplant this is another Counter-Strike, and I don’t see that happening for at least five years.

7. Subnautica

Unknown Worlds – they of Natural Selection fame – ascend back into the top ten with their underwater survival and crafting game largely thanks to a temporary 40% price-cut. It also got itself a new introductory sequence, though I’m pretty sure it wasn’t that which caused the sales spike:

8. Grand Theft Auto V

Rockstar’s latest ode to love and understanding seems to have returned as a result of new car and modification options in GTA Online, the release of Update 1.33 and in-game GTA Online events which unlock assorted bonuses and discounts. As with all things GTA, it’s all about the money. Sadsmiley.

9. Factorio

The infinite engine keeps on going. Though a rank outsider compared to most of the names in this chart, I see Factorio’s success as pretty much inevitable. The people want to build, and hide shelters or stone knives aren’t going to cut it every time. Go big or go home.

10. Hitman

I suspect Square Enix were hoping for a bigger debut for their broadly strong attempt to revive the venerable assassin series. Still, 10 is 10, and the episodic nature of the game means it’s in with a shot of long-term sales.

New entries: Hitman

Re-entries: ARK: Survival Evolved, The Culling, Subnautica, Grand Theft Auto V

Out: Far Cry Primal, Far Cry Primal Apex Edition, Fallout 4 Season Pass, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Superhot

Charts via PC gaming news stalwart Blues.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

caff says:

Still undecided about Hitman. I’m sure I’d like it, but the Steam store page reviews put me off at this point.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I mentioned this a couple days ago but what I am planning on waiting until all of the missions are out so I can buy “the good one.”

• TheCze says:

Hitmans Paris mission is great and I enjoy it alot, but I’m now getting disconnect errors (which return you to main menu) which make the game unplayable for me :(

• jezcentral says:

That seems to be the most common reaction. Gameplay is Blood Money 2, game experience is….[connection lost].

I was playing it staying at a hotel, and got dumped out, so I gave up. I’ll have to wait until I get home to try again. Cheers, Squeenix. Leave the next game to IO.

• kahnibal says:

I personally like the gameplay, but the user experience is really dodgy with bugs and glitches galore. I’d suggest you hold off on it.

• dongsweep says:

I’ve enjoyed every Hitman and this was the first one I couldn’t enjoy. I used Steam’s magnanimous refund policy on the game. I couldn’t use my native resolution (1440p) though the option was there, just not toggle-able, I was getting poor FPS with a GTX 980 TI and 4600. I dropped 60 on the whole package with excitement but I cannot be bothered to spend that kind of money to beta test a game. I may revisit it in a few months or maybe after a sale because I really want to play it but the new game shimmer is definitely gone after my poor 2 hour experience – which makes me more sad than angry.

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Yeah, Hitman’s on my ‘Steam Sale List’ at the moment… I can’t see myself spending even 20$ on part of a game. Once I can get the whole thing at a sale price my love for Hitman will prevail and I’ll buy it. Until then, my loathing for poorly released games will win out.

2. Bodylotion says:

Still surprised Counter Strike is being sold that much, you would think most people who had some interest in CS would have owned that game by now.

• brucethemoose says:

New generation keep growing up and buying it I guess.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

It could also be people continually being banned by the game and having to buy more keys to try to exploit the game, since it’s huge popularity has also drawn to it people who want to make money. But that’s mostly of my own readings and opinions.

Really enjoying this ‘new’ RPS feature. I thought I was quite rare for studying video game stats.

3. Hippo says:

Black bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

4. Unsheep says:

Top 10 for a Hitman game is very good, considering it requires more finesse and patience than a multiplayer shooter.

5. pennywyz says:

I also enjoy this series as someone above mentioned. I would like to see RPS reaction/analysis going beyond just the top ten, and maybe some extra attention to how “indie” games are doing. Maybe that would help with the inevitability of talking about the same games week after week (PC Gamer had a similar recurring article a while ago but the top 10 always seemed to be filled with The Sims and it’s various expansions, that was before PC Gamer decided that “obnoxious” would be a good design philosophy for their site ).

I personally would find a similar article on games’ twitch popularity interesting and am also curious how well stream sales numbers correlate with twitch viewership.