Platinum’s Ninja Turtles Game Cowabungaing Into May

I was on holiday last week, so the klaxon I’ve set up alerting me to PlatinumGames news was only heard by my neighbours. In their excitement to hear more about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan [official site], they kicked in our front door and smashed the siren into a thousand tiny pieces. Bless ’em! Publishers Activision had previously said that Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising devs Platinum would launch their take on the totally tubular turtles this summer, but a new trailer last week pinned it down to an earlier release date: May 24th.

Even if you are one of those heretics who believes summer begins on June 1st (if I ran the land, I’d see you burned in a wicker calendar on the summer solstice), that’s a little earlier than expected. I certainly won’t object to having another Platinum game sooner.

Mutants in Manhattan isn’t based on the recent Michael Bay movies or the ongoing Nickelodeon cartoon series, but rather has a new story from the chap writing IDW’s current comic book series, Tom Waltz.

In singleplayer or four-player co-op, it’ll see the heroes in a half-shell duffing up all sorts of ninjas and rockmen and so on. Here, this trailer shows some of the bosses the Turtles will duff up, including Bebop, Rocksteady, Sharkman, Ninja Girl, and Spike Boss:

The great thing is, a game about humanoid turtles fighting rhinomen, sharkmen, and robots is still one of the more reserved things Platinum have made. Gosh, I do like that lot. It’s a shame their own creations rarely come to PC–I’m still holding out hope Sega will port Bayonetta and Vanquish, though I know the Wii U’s The Wonderful 101 will never happen–but hey, their licensed games tend to be pretty fun too. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is excellent, and Alec dug their Transformers game.

From this site

1. Da5e says:

They didn’t say “we’ll be there in half an hour”…

2. deadlybydsgn says:

I’d really love to have a good 4-player TMNT game for the PC.

(aside from emulating TMNT Arcade or Turtles in Time)

3. Jalan says:

Something about the art style for this gives me a nauseous feeling, like someone hit the sharpen filter and saturation levels way too hard.

I also want this to be a TMNT game worth playing, even if I have to take meds to hold off losing my lunch just by looking at it.

4. Wowbagger says:

shreeewwwwwwder.

Philopoemen says:

I lost so much pocket money on the arcade game as a kid, that it seems hypocritical to not at least try this. Nostalgia-coloured glasses may be in effect though.

6. Oozo says:

Since it wasn’t mentioned in the Sunday Papers: Atsushi Inaba, one of the co-founders of Platinum Games, gave a really interesting talk at GDC, explaining how they approach action game design. (Gamasutra has a summary.)

Some of it might seem obvious, but I can’t help feeling that their unique designs come from a rather unique outlook at things. For example: it does definitely make sense to call action games of Platinum’s ilk “passive”, but I sure never looked at it this way before.

• Keiggo says:

That sounds really interesting and a quick Google hasn’t turned it up. Would you mind providing a link, please?

• bit.bat says:

Found it! link to tinyurl.com

I also tried looking for the actual talk but I doesn’t seem like GDC 2016 content is online yet. I am not sure though, are all the talks eventually available after the conference for all to watch? I have never looked in the past.

• Tim James says:

Not to criticize the guy since he obviously knows what he’s doing, but passive seems like the wrong word here. He later uses reactive, which is fine. You could also say deterministic. (This reminds me of an article about how Japanese Street Fighter fans prefer understanding the precise reactions for every situation rather than the American style of bluffing and outsmarting your opponent.)

I appreciated his comment about how action games should be about player development rather than character development. I used to shrug this off, but now it seems to be the only style of game that still holds my interest: sims, brawlers, and the occasional multiplayer game (due to lack of time).

7. Jay Load says:

Well, their Transformers was the best attempt at that license yet. Here’s hoping they can do the same for the Turtles.

8. Maxheadroom says:

Was too old for all this turtle nonsense the first time round so it has zero nostalgia value for me.

Guess I’ll just have to keep waiting for the Platinum take on Fingerbobs link to youtube.com

9. The Algerian says:

Looks pretty bad by Platinum Games standards though. Which seem to have been dropping ever since they started getting contracted by Activision.

10. Razumen says:

Wish they used the cell shading technique that Guilt Gear Xrd uses, this faux comix book style just looks so half assed in comparison.

• Jalan says:

Something about it just looks wrong overall and (to me) really visually unappealing to the point where I just can’t stomach it for some reason.

11. Lintire says:

Looks ugly and the subject matter isn’t much better.

But hey, it’s a Platinum game, so I’ll get it if I can. Providing it isn’t $60, good grief.