Suh-Wing Batter! Out Of The Park Baseball 17 Released

“And it’s ‘One! Two! Three strikes; you’re out! at the old ball game!” They sing, and They are filthy rotten liars. Baseball has a great many more numbers than that, reams of statistics, waves of them, an ocean of numbers grinding down the shores of my brain. RBI, RC, RP, GPA, GS, HBP, SLG… but that’s fine, because numbers and statistics make a fine foundation for the complex high-rise of Out of the Park Baseball, the sim-heavy management series. Our Adam is an OotP fan but he’s still tied up in GDC tidying-up so hey, here’s me to tell you Out of the Park Baseball 17 [official site] is out.

Don’t worry, I know a thing or two about stickball too. I was an avid watcher when Channel 5 showed MLB games all those years back, following the Seattle Mariners for Ichiro’s cheeky base-stealing and the Red Sox for Tim Wakefield’s beautiful knuckleball.

OotP is a baseball management game, then, where you take control of a team and try to make them do sports well. Or you could play in historical leagues. Or create new leagues of your own and have them grow in a simulated way. Or fork history. Or… it likes to simulate unreal things as much as real ones, y’see.

The list of features new to this year’s instalment includes MLB and MLBPA licensing for proper rosters and faces and whatnot, smarter AI managers, a redesigned interface, multi-core processor support for faster simulation, and generated portraits reflecting players’ aging, emotions, and team changes. Go dig in there if you’re a fan.

Maybe Adam will play and tell us what he thinks if we all honk ballpark organ tunes whenever and wherever we see him.

Out of the Park Baseball 17 is about £30/$40 on Steam or direct from makers Out of the Park Developments. It’s on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Erithtotl says:

OOTP is very good at what it does and I used to get the new version every year, but stopped a few years ago, because the differences are so subtle from year to year at this point. A lot of the focus has been on managing in game which I have little interest in, since with a 162 game schedule its hugely time consuming.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

How complex does the game get? Are steroids in it? Can your coach get evicted from a game? Will players rush the mound? Can Dock Ellis pitch a no-no on LSD?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Forgot the most important part: can you play ad the Expos?

2. Crumpled Stiltskin says:

Just play GM only mode. It takes about 2 hrs per season. Hire the right staff, assemble the correct roster and don’t go broke.

• Erithtotl says:

Yep, that was kind of my point. Most of the big enhancements (at least it felt like to me) the last few years have gone into the in-game mode, which I don’t care about very much. I also never real enjoyed the staff part. It basically amounted to ‘pay for the best staff you can get, and don’t forget to renew them’.

3. scritty says:

Yup GM stuff is not moving on as fast as manager. I hybrid play. Sim most of the regular season games a game at a time, but if we make post season or look close to a play-off place come September, I’ll start getting involved. On the OOTP forums this seems to be the way many people play it. You can play a season per night time play session this way, and that’s about right for me. Just got Pujols off waivers for the A’s. No idea what LAA were thinking. I play him as a DH since getting Freiman back from the Atlanta farm system for a song. He’s averaging 290 batting 8 and not one error at 1st base on the season yet. Anyway – must get back to the game.