The Foxer

That, my friends, is a genuine Nash & Thomson FN-20 four-gun tail turret as fitted to the Lancaster, Wellington, Stirling and Whitley. Once Singed Seraph have finished the software (ETC May) and Roman has installed the screen, hydraulics and sound system/proofing (ETC God only knows) the defoxing annexe will boast its very own 6DOF Tail-End Charlie sim! Stumped by a particularly fiendish foxer? The day will come when you’ll be able to vent your frustration on a bristle-chinned Bf 110 or Ju 88.

Last week’s foxer theme: Gone with the Wind (defoxed by phlebas)

a. Olivia de Havilland (AFKAMC)
b. Anemometer (phlebas)
c. Butterfly McQueen (unsolved)
d. Bonnie Blue or Butterfly McQueen (Stugle)
e. Beau Wilkes (AFKAMC, Rorschach617)
f. Clark Gable (unacom, mrpier)
g. Leslie Howard or Sidney Howard (phlebas)
h. Margaret Mitchell (phlebas)
i. Vivien Leigh (Rorschach617)
j. Atlanta (phlebas)
k. Tara (mrpier)

* * * * *

Foxer Fact #1720

In 1978, following Dougie Bannister’s headline-grabbing giant-killing act at the IFF Invitational in Split, the BBC commissioned two foxer-based TV shows. The Raymond Baxter devised and fronted Friend or Foe? ran hobbled for a mere eight weeks. Occupying the prized post-Jackanory slot, Foxabout lasted well into the Eighties. If you can hear a hunting horn ‘tally-ho’ without involuntarily picturing either Jonathan King (host 1978-80) or Rolf Harris (host 1980-83) frolicking with contestants in the slime-filled moat of ‘Clue Castle’, you’re obviously not a middle-aged Brit.

From this site

phuzz says:

The Phantom top left is a Luftwaffe aircraft from JG71 squadron named after Richthofen, hence the R on the side.
    Still trying to track down the exact picture.

phuzz says:

The bookshop bottom left is Collinge and Clarke, in 13 Leigh Street in London. Apparently it’s where Black Books was filmed.

3. Gap Gen says:

The garden looks like a layout of Versailles? (Although it seems different?) link to en.chateauversailles.fr

• Gap Gen says:

Ah no those fountains are there,I was confused by the colouring / pink line in the middle

phuzz says:

The butterfly is a Large White (Pieris brassicae)also known as the Cabbage White (and right buggers they are if the caterpillars get in among your brassicas).

• phlebas says:

I’m still not sure what we’re looking at in the top right corner – is that the business end of a field gun or is there more vehicle than that off the page?

• Stugle says:

The gun seems to be drawn over that bar thingy, which makes me think it’s not a field gun (where the gun would go through the shield. I think).

Sadly, I can only think that it looks like a gun mounted on either a tractor or a Formula One car and neither idea is proving to be very successful when I’m searching for images on Google.

5. Orontes says:

Are those squiggles from the Linear B script, or are they some type of code?

• unacom says:

Those are not Linear B -I´m pretty sure about that.
      I would have guessed on some type of shorthand. But those signs don´t look right either.
      My best guess would be dancing or musical signage.

• Aphrion says:

I thought the squiggles weren’t music at first, but on second look they look like chord changes (in bad handwriting)-one of the squiggles on the right butterfly wing is clearly B-flat (Bb), among others. Dunno who wrote them or anything, but usually jazz musicians use them so they know what notes and chords sound better to play during their solos.

6. phlebas says:

Is that Louise Brooks on the right?

phuzz says:

No, but you put me on the right track to find Clara Bow in the 1927 film “Wings”.

• Gap Gen says:

That page suggests that the film was about WWI pilots, Cadet White was one of the characters (name of the butterfly), Richthofen was a WWI ace, Versailles was the place where the treaty ending WWI was signed, although that seems a bit broad and doesn’t explain the bookshop (or the gun/boats).

• unacom says:

I would have thought the gunboats to the left and right of the central axis of Versailles to be “naves” from latin “boat”. In an architectural context “naves” are translated into “wings”. So those would confirm phuzz´s solution.

• Stugle says:

Better yet, according to the Wikipedia entry on the movie, the character ‘Sergeant’ was played by Gunboat Smith.

7. Aphrion says:

Where’s AFKAMC? Usually he’s got something posted by now-you know, within the first hour or less of the foxer being posted.

phuzz says:

Normally I have to work fast just to get one clue. Today I stopped because I had the majority of the comments on the article.
      I thought RPS had a more international audience, but it looks like most of us defoxers are UK based and on holiday today.

• Aphrion says:

I’m inclined to think that RPS’s audience overall is international, but the foxer is definitely British by nature, I’ve never heard of it anywhere stateside where I live. Even then, though, I’d imagine the UK defoxers would take some time for this foxer, if not as much as usual.

• phlebas says:

Time yes, but limited connectivity for research has rather limited effectiveness – I’ll have another bash later!

• Stugle says:

I actually had Friday off, but since I was going to the ‘local’ zoo (a mere 3 hours away from my home), I was internet incommunicado.

Hydrogene says:

I have absolutely no clue about anything, but this is a very pleasant looking foxer! I like the shapes and colours very much.