My Favourite Art Style: Space Funeral

RPS has sealed itself inside a chocolate egg for the duration of the UK’s long holiday weekend, to emerge only when the reign of Mr Hops The Doom Rabbit has run its dread course. While we slumber, enjoy these fine words previously published as part of our Supporter program. More to come.

Space Funeral [Game Jolt download] stars a crying miscreant named Phillip who faffs about in striped pajamas while beating up bloody dogs. We aren’t talking a few stray tears, either. He’s full-on ugly crying, grimacing in pain and shuffling through life looking as though his mother hates him. It kind of seems like she does, and his dad too.

It’s not immediately apparent why Phillip is sad when you start up the game, whose options are “BLOOD, BLOOD and BLOOD” at the main menu. Maybe it’s because there’s a coffin with someone in it who looks just like Phillip. Maybe Phillip exists in a state of existential torment and anguish that reaches into his very soul because he lives in a world where a creature known as a Leg Horse can amble up to him and verbally berate him, a contorted mass of bloody stumps with no real regard for anything other than itself. Perhaps it’s because he knows there are no other games like Space Funeral; nothing to rival the attitude or the aesthetic, which I harbor an intense and passionate love for.

From the clashing color schemes to the flat 2D Frankenstein monster-esque heads that seem as though they’ve been scribbled on in MS Paint, Space Funeral is like an acid flashback filtered through RPG Maker and set to Ruth White’s bizarre spoken-word “Spleen,” and is beautifully corrupt and broken in every single way, down to the surreal landscapes, creatures, and ideals that permeate the land. What seems to exist totally at random is explained ever so succinctly by the end of the journey, which makes the ugliness of it all feel even more special. It’s grotesque, terrifying, and crude. And that’s why I love it so much, misshapen heroes, enemies, and all.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

heretic says:

Craziness without the substance abuse, win!

• LaurenGriffin says:

Start working from home! Great job for students, stay-at-home moms or anyone who needs an extra income… You only need a computer and a reliable internet connection… Make $95 hourly and up to $16k a month by following link at the bottom and signing up… You can have your first check by the end of this week… link to tinyurl.com

• LaurenGriffin says:

Make 7500 bucks every month… Start doing online computer-based work through our website. I have been working from home for 4 years now and I love it. I don’t have a boss standing over my shoulder and I make my own hours. The tips below are very informative and anyone currently working from home or planning to in the future could use this website… link to tinyurl.com

• Darth Gangrel says:

Unintended comedy because of spambot replies, win!

2. GWOP says:

When I realized Space Funeral, Crime Zone and Murder Dog were all made by the same person, my mind went ka-boom. The world is a better place with thecatamites.

3. melissasortego says:

my roommate’s aunt scored 4200 dollars a week on the internet . She has been unemployed for 6 months but previous month her revenue was 14430 bucks just at work on the MacBook for some hours…NT!00

========== http://w­­­­w­­­­w­­­­.r­­­­i­­­­c­­­­h­­­­i­­­­8­­­­.­­­­c­­­­o­­­­m

4. melissasortego says:

I’ve made $64,000 so far this year working online and I’m a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I’ve made such great money. It’s really user friendly and I’m just so happy that I found out about it. Heres what I do, …NT!00

5. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Such a brilliant game, still my favourite gem RPS directed me towards. Absolutely mental, think I described it as playing an episode of the Mighty Boosh at the time. Which is fine, but probably undersells it. Introduced me to les Razilles Denudes (spelling?) as well, whom I still love. Wonderful.

• Turkey says:

Yeah. I got into all kinds of weird ’60s and ’70s library type music cause of Space Funeral. Not a Brit, so I wasn’t too familiar with the Radiophonic Workshop or anything like that. I’d listened to Boards of Canada and Broadcast before, but the real thing is so much more stranger and wonderful.

6. LaurenGriffin says:

M­y l­a­s­t p­a­y c­h­e­c­k w­a­s $9­5­0­0 w­o­r­k­i­ng 1­2 h­o­u­rs a w­e­ek o­n­l­ine. M­y s­i­s­ter­s f­r­i­e­nd h­a­s b­e­e­n a­v­er­a­g­i­ng 1­5­k f­o­r m­o­n­t­h­s n­o­w a­n­d s­h­e w­o­r­k­s a­b­o­u­t 2­0 h­o­u­r­s a w­e­e­k. I c­a­n­’t b­e­l­i­e­v­e h­o­w e­a­s­y i­t w­a­s o­n­c­e I t­r­i­e­d i­t o­u­t. T­h­i­s i­s w­h­a­t I d­o… link to tinyurl.com

7. michelle174 says:

3″Once I saw the draft of 6260 bucks,,, I admit that my friend’s brother was like really generating cash in his free time with his PC. His uncle’s neighbor has done this for only 8 months and by now repaid the loan on their home and bought a new Car …JW69

++++++++ Get More Details

8. zsd says:

I wanted to try this, but it seems that Windows 10 does not play well with older RPGMaker games.