This Year, Call Of Duty May Be Heading To Space

Call of Duty: Space Wars. Orbital Ops, maybe. Post-Modern Warfare. Space Warfare? Probably not that one.

Whatever the name might be, there have been rumours and suggestions of a space-based Call of Duty for several years and it seems increasingly likely that this year’s Infinity Ward release might be that game. I hope the moon explodes in at least one mission.

Whatever the name might be, there have been rumours and suggestions of a space-based Call of Duty for several years, and developers Infinity Ward are expected to release the next game in the series toward the end of 2016. The studio have been talking about the possibility of heading into space since 2013, when (now ex) producer Mark Rubin said, “Everything’s on the table…If we think that it’d be cool to have a battle over Jupiter, sure. Why not?” Welcoming the New Year, Infinity Ward talked about “new heights”, with an astronaut taking centre stage in their celebratory image.

Sure, that’s a model from Ghosts, which featured scenes aboard an orbital station, but it fits neatly with continuing rumours of a further leap toward the stars. This morning, Eurogamer report that industry source Shinobi has repeated details that tally with other reports the outlet has heard independently.

There have been denials that space would be the right place for Duty to Call as well. Dan Bunting, multiplayer director on Black Ops III, has said that a space-based game might happen but he doesn’t seem entirely keen on the idea:

“The way that we approach the creative on our game? I don’t think we’re ever going to reach a point where we just completely ignore finding authenticity…There’s an element of Call Of Duty as a brand that’s very gritty, it needs to feel believable. Even if it’s not real it needs to feel like it could be…”

This is a scene from Black Ops III.

As to whether Call of Duty in space is any more or less exciting than Call of Duty on Earth, I can’t rightly say. I’d hoped Blops III would be something of a breath of fresh air, with its plasmid-like powers and full-on sci-fi take on cybernetic war, but despite some intriguing and wild ideas, I thought it was still hamstrung by the series’ formula for the most part.

If Call of Duty: Star-Spangled Star Soldiers were simply to use Jupiter as a gorgeous backdrop to the usual killstreaks and multiplayer mayhem, it might reinvigorate the series’ visual direction (which has often been one of its stronger features), but I don’t think the new setting would be justified. Give me something like Shattered Horizon with all the pomp and polish of a CoD game and I might be tempted to play for a while though, plunging friends and foes into the deep dark of space by severing their ties to an orbital platform. A space-based FPS game should play with physics in ways that make me gasp in horror as I lose all sense of direction and realise that ‘down’ doesn’t really exist, and cackled in delight as some poor bastard spins slowly into the abyss, trying to get one final headshot even as he fades from view.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Harlander says:

Could someone with a bit more cultural savvy than me come up with a joke for Postmodern Warfare, please?

2. MiniMatt says:

Bullet spewing astronauts meet Newton’s Third Law.

• jrodman says:

How are they gonna combust all that shiz?

• jon_hill987 says:

“Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.”

It worked out OK in Shattered Horizon, shame that game did not get more of a following actualy.

3. maximus says:

pffffahahahahahahahah…….aw man…im also crying a little bit inside. cant CodD just end all ready? (yes i know easy pay slip and all but still). i mean talk about flogging a dead horse.

• Napalm Sushi says:

“Easy pay slip” is a pretty heavy understatement of CoD’s commercial momentum – and I mean “momentum” in the sense of “can no longer stop if they wanted to.” At this point, it’s an industry of its own in which large financial interests are heavily invested. Any other aspect of CoD’s identity has long been entirely tangential to that.

4. Shazbut says:

I assume they’re thinking of VR here

5. int says:

CoD haters be damned, I want to rake some moons.

6. Thornback says:

We WILL bring Mark Watney home. Dead or Alive.

7. Hedgeclipper says:

Call of Duty: The Void Inside

8. Winged Nazgul says:

Shattered Horizon with a CoD playerbase sounds good to me. Sign me up.

• Zach Fett says:

I never knew how much I wanted this. I’m still bummed out SH didn’t do better, it was such a fun game.

9. vahnn says:

Can we expand on this article and write a full feature demanding the return of, or sequel to, or exciting new game based on, Shattered Horizon?

That game was full-on tits. The mechanics of it were outstanding and completely unique, but the limited weapons loadouts, limited game types, and lack of persistence, combined with it being relatively unknown, really killed it. But the foundation is there for a really great game, I know it!

• Kollega says:

Agreed. Shattered Horizon was awesome, and if the new CoD mimics it, it may be the first CoD that I’ll play in years (the last and pretty much only one I played was, no joke, the original Modern Warfare).

• jon_hill987 says:

I don’t like persistence or loadouts in MP shooters, your personal skill should be your progression not overpowered unlocks. Quake and UT never needed them. Shattered Horizon was brilliant though, it should have been a huge success like Rocket League, I think the DX10 only limitation was what killed it rather than the things you mention. Very few people wanted to move on to Vista at the time.

10. Kollega says:

Ground control to Major Tom
    Ground control to Major Tom
    Load your SMG, and put your helmet on…

11. CloneWarrior85 says:

Can we get a freaking cod set on WW2 again? Jump jets, and soldiers looking like clowns while holding colored pogo-sticks is getting boring.

I miss the COD games that made you feel like you were on a war, not on a circus fight.

Also, hurray for Shattered Horizon, sad the mandatory dx10 killing it, since it was an amasing game.

• pauleyc says:

Somehow I read your post as a request for a WW2 with jump jets Call of Duty. Which got me thinking – although I’m more tired with the WW2 setting than with Modern Warfare’s gruff men fighting spec-ops Illuminati, I might be more interested in an alternative history CoD in the vein of Red Alert (or the recent Wolfenstein).

12. Bweahns says:

Ugh, CoD is the Police Academy of the gaming world. You might fondly remember the first one from when you were a kid, but as you grew older and they kept producing them you realise you’d rather squirt lemon juice in your eyes than have to listen to anymore braindead family safe humour delivered by a bunch of low rent actors for the fifth or sixth time.

phuzz says:

But how can you have doors that only NPCs can open in orbit?

liquidsoap89 says:

Single player Shattered Horizon is now very high up on my most wanted list.

15. Professor Otto Wolfgang Ort-Meyer says:

Even if the next game was called “Call of Duty: Moron Gamer”, they would still sell it in the millions. Says it all, really.