Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Trailer Shows Off Its Shiny City

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst [official site] for a long time seemed like a game that would likely never really happen, and now all of a sudden it’s a game that’s out in a couple of months! 26th May to be precise, assuming there are no slips. As that time gets closer, the trailers become more frequent, and the latest is a “developer diary” about “city and narrative”, especially detailing what the city will look like at night, and there’s a whole bunch about Faith in there too.

Imagine if at this stage in a game’s creation “developer diaries” were actually developer diaries, rather than carefully constructed PR fluffola dictated by marketing. That’d be brilliant.

“God, I hate Mirror’s Edge. HATE IT. Thirteen hours a day for the last three months, years before that, shit, at some point I swear I was excited about doing this. It’s just boxes and triangles to me now. The sooner this ships, the sooner I can never see that stupid emo fringe ever bloody again. I should have listened to my father and got that job at the quarry.”

Unfortunately it’s people pretending they’re not miserably tired and sick of the sight of their game, while intermittent flashes of the game appear. Like this:

“Old-school Mirror’s Edge” is not an acceptable phrase.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Morte66 says:

“she has such an edgy look”

Stops video in disgust.

Does it get better?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes, you will learn to love again in time.

• Unclepauly says:

Depends on how you are gauging “better”. I’m a masochist so it got so much better I was in tears by the end.

• Turkey says:

When has a dev diary ever been good?

• GWOP says:

Extra vomit-inducing after Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice*.

*Actual name of a movie written by adults.

• welverin says:

Well, it’s actually worse, because they went with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Not only is ‘versus’ too much, ‘vs.’ is.

2. Luciferous says:

I always prefer dev diaries that actually look at the making of a part of the game.

I am still super excited for this though, I adored the first one and this may fix my few gripes with the original so all is well.

3. Tetrode says:

I genuinely don’t get Mirror’s Edge. I got the first one in a steam sale for £5 and even then I felt a bit cheated. I finished the story (without actively trying to rush through it) and according to steam it took 2.8 hours!?

And to be honest most of that time was trying to fight the frustrating controls and a lot of trial and error parkour. It just didn’t flow at all. Really disappointed in it.

• jokigenki says:

There were a lot of missteps in the first one. It didn’t really realise it was meant to be a game about running, and fell back on being a platformer too often. The story kind of pettered out because they didn’t really know how to match the parkour aspects of the game with a big boss fight showdown. However, when you look at it as being more like a racing game than what it pretended to be, then you had a much more compelling experience. Once you completed the game, unlocked all the time trials, and you knew the layout of each level, then it became about getting into that “flow” state that matched perfectly with the spirit of the game. Striving for those perfect runs was a lot of fun for me, whereas about 60% of the story missions were a chore. Hopefully they’ve realised this, and made the new game more about being in motion and less about tediously climbing ledges or fighting roomfuls of guys with guns.

• FreshHands says:

I just wanted to opinion away here – but then I read your post and realized how cynical I have become when I could only snort into my black and bitter coffee here.

I am afraid that is exactly what it’ll be: Assassin’s Creed: Dystopia (fps mod!)

Not that’s nessessary a bad thing. Especially since it’s kind of open world where you could simply run around all day, completely ignoring story-mode.

• Frank says:

For the record, Dystopia and its aesthetic are both undeniably excellent :)

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, once I’d finished the campaign and moved on to Time Trials, ME became the best rally game I’ve ever played. Some of the abstract add-on maps were absolutely sublime. This is where the sense of movement and mastery of the environment really came out.

• Morte66 says:

” Hopefully they’ve realised this, and made the new game more about being in motion and less about tediously climbing ledges or fighting roomfuls of guys with guns.”

I’ll give 10:1 against.

alison says:

Unlike the other responders, i have never even looked at time trials mode. Putting a racing game in my FPS sounds like an awful idea to me. Fortunately, there is still the storyline-bound part of the game. Which, for me, took a very reasonable 7-8 hours. Perhaps i just suck?

There is no doubt the game has its flaws – in particular the trial-and-error gameplay where it’s not clear where you are “allowed” to jump (i only ever played with the hints turned off so not sure if that changes the gameplay). But i fucking loved Mirror’s Edge. I loved it for the art direction, which admittedly is purely a matter of taste, but even more i loved it for the novelty of getting to play as a real person.

Most FPSes are just a hovering camera in space. Even supposed “immersive sims” like Deus Ex you look down and just see a camera hovering in space. You never see your hands. You never see your feet. You can’t scale a 4 foot barrel, much less an 8 foot wall that completely un-cybernetically-enhanced soldiers in the present day can do without difficulty. In Mirror’s Edge you can scale that wall. In Mirror’s Edge you finally get to play an FPS where real-world movement is possible. You are not a hovering camera in space whose passage is blocked by a chest-high crate. But you also can’t jump around like Mario brother on a trampoline. Admittedly the wall-running and some of the ledge-grabs are far-fetched, but in spite of the death-defying stunts it still feels more real than anything before it. Mirror’s Edge did to FPSes what Prince of Persia did to platform games, or what Mortal Kombat did to fighting games. Finally you got to play an FPS person who moved and jumped like a real person. If you enjoy playing games where you feel like you’re getting to play you, just better (rather than games where you play some kind of contrived fantasy being), there really are very few FPSes that go there. At the time Mirror’s Edge came out, possibly none. When i first played it, i thought that it would change FPSes forever. I thought Mirror’s Edge had led us into the light and gamers would never have to suffer a stupid hovering camera again. But, alas, we did. We do. Over and over. I guess most people aren’t as bothered by it as i am. I do acknowledge and respect that you didn’t get Mirror’s Edge. But a part of me wishes you, and everyone else, did.

4. Sui42 says:

I just kind of noticed that numbered sequels are never used nowadays, both in Hollywood and in gaming. Will we ever get names like “Mirror’s Edge 2” ever again, or have people just decided that numbers are terribly uncool?

‘cos it’s a lot harder to talk about games in a series when you have to think back to what shitty, meaningless tagline sets it apart.

Erayos says:

And then you have stuff like AssCreed, Ubisoft probably still doesn’t know if they’re doing numbers or subtitles.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

“Catalyst” is a great subtitle. It’ll resonate strongly with all those PC gamers who have fond memories of certain GPU drivers.

• Turkey says:

It’s probably just marketing mind games. Like it’s easier to convince new people to buy the sequel if they don’t feel like they need to have played any of the previous games.

• Frank says:

I’m pretty sure the last new game I played was called XCOM 2.

5. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

We have a downtown section, which is very much like old-school Mirror’s Edge, with grittiness and, like, creaky pipes.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’ll assume that this description makes more sense in context, rather than as an edited down soundbite.

I’m looking forward to this—for the environments and parkour at least—but the story and characters shown so far sound even sillier than the first game.

• Arkayjiya says:

I don’t know about any “character”, but the dialogue are atrocious. This game might be incredibly awesome to play, but I’m starting to wonder if the first Mirror’s Edge isn’t going to be remembered as the one with “the good story” which would be tragic.

6. ZoeM says:

What if they included a twist to the narrative, where the generic rebel group turned out to be a violent iconoclastic terrorist movement and the authorities turned out to be basically Google with their own city (of Glass :P)
    Halfway through the rebels stage a coup and you spend the rest of the game running through the increasingly dystopic metropolis trying to restore peace.

• gunny1993 says:

I think most people involved in scifi game writing nowadays wAtched star wars when they were young and decided that’s what everything should be, absOlute good vs absolute evil and as close to a riff on that is a good person actually turning out to be evil.

All Abu do writers should be forced to either do a bunch of acid or forced to read so old school scifi or preferably both

7. Monggerel says:

(I think I’m gonna keep posting that on articles with prominent butt shots until it goes viral or I get bored/lose all dignity)

8. tonicer says:

Man when i think about what it could be without having to be able to run on consoles @~30fps … *sigh* a gaming world without consoles would be amazing.

• ZippyLemon says:

If it weren’t for console gamers, the AAA market would be a fraction of the size it is. If you like AAA gaming, you should appreciate the consoles. If you don’t care for it, then you’re already winning being on PC. Either way, your whining is petty.

• GWOP says:

Thank gawd for consoles not making my shiny new gaming PC obsolete two years down the road.

9. the_magma says:

don’t think that “narrative developer” really knows what preclude means…

10. muki0 says:

I do like the utopian shiny future city art direction. Few games do that.

11. engion3 says:

Dying light filled the gap of parkour in video games for me.

12. Otterley says:

Mirror’s Edge: HR Revolution. A faith-based exploration of corporate infrastructure.

13. kud13 says:

Usual Catalyst comment: City (now of glass!!!) looks breathtaking, story makes my ears bleed.

For the love of God I hope there’s a point where I can just take a break in the story and go nuts exploring (with the option to turn off all “optional objective markers”- take a hint from Witcher 3).

I would be willing to suffer using Origin for that.

14. Jinoru says:

I’ll play the game, but this marketing is rubbish.

15. Engloutie says:

“[…] assuming there are no slips.”

Well, they’ll certainly have to take care of that comic, which apparently precludes the game.

16. Ancient Evil says:

I actually agree with Valve at this point. Why the hell should they ever make Half-Life 3? They don’t need the money. Nothing good can come of it. Yeah, people SAY they want it, but we’ve seen this song and dance too many times before to fall for that shit again.

“Man, Deus Ex was such a gem. It’s a shame today’s conservative, Call of Dutified industry would never greenlight something remotely like that these days.”
    *Deus Ex: Human Revolution announced*
    *Game comes out*
    “Huh, this is actually pretty good.”

“Man, Mirror’s Edge was such a breath of fresh air in the AAA space, despite the two primary flaws being the linearity and crummy gunplay. It’s a shame we’ll never, ever get another one.”
    *New Mirror’s Edge announced. Open-world, no shooting this time.*
    *Game comes out*

I could go on with more examples, but you get the idea. We beg for something, until we get it, at which point we pore over every word, every trailer, desperately grasping for any excuse to despise it from the second it is announced.

In case you were wondering, a source within Valve last year claimed that Half-Life 3 was being worked on by hundreds of people, until (and yes, I’m sure there were other factors) the whole Mass Effect 3 debacle happened, and Valve basically said “lol, fuck this shit, shut it all down, it’s not even worth it”. (Link: link to m.youtube.com)

Ah, gamers. Can’t live with them, can’t… No, wait, that’s all there is.