Breach & Breach & Breach & Clear: R6 Siege’s Buck Buff

While Rainbow Six Siege [official site] may not be as serious a tactical shooter as some want, I did idly dream of an even less serious version playing up its destructible levels, with gunmen leaping through walls as if they were rice paper and stamping down through floors. I wouldn’t want Siege to become that game, but I am tickled by the latest patch putting one character slightly closer to that. Here, come see how Buck can now saunter through wall after wall with his mega-buffed wall-smashing shotgun.

Look, I’ll get round to explaining this in a minute but first, look at all the fuss Buck used to go through when he wanted to leap through a wall:

That’s not cool, is it? That’s faff. No one wants faff. “No thank you,” they say, “no faff for me today! I will take some cool, though.”

That’s what Buck can do now. That’s cool.

“Alice,” you might hesitate to ask, “are you tripping your tits off on flu, flu medication, exhaustion, oversleeping, wooziness, dizziness, nausea, and all that, and sitting staring entranced muttering ‘cool, cool’ at GIFs of a man named Buck shotgunning through walls in a video game?”

I mean, yeah, I guess so.

That explanation I promised: Buck arrived in Siege with February’s Operation Black Ice update. His gimmick is his rifle’s ‘Skeleton Key’ underslung shotgun, which can blast men and breach walls. But its breaching power was limited, as demonstrated, so Ubisoft have buffed it nicely. As demonstrated. Did you see him leaping through those walls? Cool, cool cool cool, cool.

Buck’s not the only one who can easily smash walls, mind. But did you see him etc.

Patch 2.3 is out today, with plenty of changes beyond that. Get stuck into the patch notes if you want, which have more details on improvements to hit detection and matchmaking, more balance tweaks, bug fixes, and plenty of other changes. More GIFs of that shotgun too.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Pulstar says:

Siege turned out better than expected, the odd eurotrash encounter aside.

2. Banks says:

Buck seemed pointless but he’s actually very cool. He’s super useful to counter roamers and to put some flashbangs in the frontline.

3. flashlight_eyes says:

This game is VERY good. Everytime I think there is a cheap strategy that ruins the game my friends end up over coming it by sheer stubbornness and studying.
    If any other North ameritrash RPS readers wanna play. Add me at flashlight_eyes

Also Alice, consider incorporating cough medicine regularly into your writing procedure

4. Zenicetus says:

I wonder what you’d need in real life to open a wall like that with one shot. Probably an explosive shell of some kind, since you’re not going to be running around with an artillery piece. Maybe a series of shaped charges in a honkin’ big shotgun shell to open an area that wide.

Looks like fun regardless, although it’s not really my kind of game. Destructible environments are cool. Which reminds me… have to finish a current XCOM2 game.

• Sin Vega says:

Michael had just learned that George Senior had accepted a contract to build homes in videogames.

• Fnoros says:

I would guess it depends on what the walls are made of. Here in suburban america, most walls are made of drywall on a wood skeleton, so a standard shell would likely easily penetrate that. A wide enough choke on the barrel could perhaps disperse the impact enough to knock out a sizable chunk.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, a USA-ian here too. I’m not convinced. Drywall isn’t that fragile, if you’ve ever worked a demolotion job where you have to tear it out. One reason 12 ga. shotguns are promoted for home defense is that they don’t go through walls. Plus you’d have to blow out the wooden studs too, to get through a typical wall with all the gear a military type would be carrying.

My money’s on a high-tech explosive round, if we’re going to hand wave this very cool way of getting through walls.

• Dev says:

I’ve done real life CQB / MOUT training with the SASR before in a genuine shoothouse with sim rounds. My 2ct is this game captures the vibe really well of how hard and challenging it is to fight in build up areas but there isn’t a single shred of realism in this. Just enjoy it as what it is.

5. rymm says:

i loves me some siege, i like to knock holes in all the walls around the defenders and watch them panic and squirm while they try to figure out where i’m gonna be. then i poke my head in a die because i suck at shooty-man-shoots.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Good idea, but the execution of it seemed to have led to your own execution, heh.

6. DuncUK says:

Now the the dust has settled on this game (hurr) a bit and it’s proven to be a worthwhile game, I’ve a few questions. I play occasionally with 3 – 4 friends and we like a good co-operative shooter, L4D2 and Payday 2 mostly fulfilling that craving. Once thing we like about both is the ability to play:

a) Mostly co-op vs AI (terrorist hunt in this case?)
    b) Sometimes VS AGAINST pubbies and not WITH them… although Payday forces you to take a 4th AI player and L4D2 a pubby, of which both are annoying but not a deal breaker. We use voice comms (often outside of the game) and a non-communicative pubby that runs off on their own is a persistent frustration.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is terrorist hunt good enough to sustain the majority of play?
    2. Can you play terrorist hunt with just 3 players? Are you forced to take AI buddies?
    3. Are VS matches fixed at 4 vs 4 or can you play 3 vs 3 against 3 randomly selected pubbies?

• CMaster says:

1. No. I mean, I’m sure some people do it, but if you want more coop shooter fun, get one of the older Rainbow 6 games or SWAT for something “tactical” or something like Borderlands.

2. You can play either matchmade or squad only, with squad being 1-5 people.

3.Matches are 5 vs 5. Honestly, it’s fine being a team of 2-4 with randoms making up the rest 95% of the time. You can make custom matches and start with any number of people, but you have to personally invite them.

7. tifaucz says:

I always found it funny that americans make the walls of their houses of something you can punch through, instead of, you know, actual bricks.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, drywall is cheap to build, easy to modify and repair.

We didn’t always build that way. My current house was built in the 1880’s and the interior walls are “lathe and plaster.” Very solid, and a real nightmare if you want to add a doorway or install new wiring or plumbing, compared to drywall. Gonna need a bigger shotgun to get through these walls!

• tifaucz says:

I dunno I wouldn’t feel safe I think… I mean, it looks so fragile in the case of heavy storms, hurricanes, fire and so. But yeah, the practicality is tempting.