Corpse Campaign: Total Warhammer Vampire Counts

Total War: Warhammer [official site] is creeping closer to release like a stealth Nosferatu. May 24th is launch day and today we’ve got latest in a series of campaign videos that show how the different factions will approach the game’s strategic layer. This time up, it’s the Vampire Counts and their undead minions. I’ve dabbled in vampiric arithmetic leadership myself and now you can see how an official dev commentary walkthrough compares to my write-up.

Conquering Sylvania, the undead homelands, is more difficult than you might think. The most impressive aspect of the game, from my perspective, lay in the unexpected alliances and wars that emerged, both between my faction and the AI, and between the AI and itself. Undead factions scrapping with one another creates a corpse-cycle, as zombies die and are re-raised until it’s unclear precisely how dead, undead, redead, neverdead or omnidead the armies are as each new battle begins.

You can see a little of that at the beginning of the playthrough here. Strange alliances and unusual enemies.

And then there’s mention of an army “exuding some kind of tentacular effect” and it’s all happy days from there on in. There’s a good insight into the long-term objectives in the campaign – which avoid the ‘paint the whole map in your colour’ victory condition – and how they can change dynamically depending on occurrences around the world.

Recruitment is the most unusual aspect of the undead game though and the explanation of that begins around 3:30. “Benefit from the plentiful dead”, says the commentary. Yes. That seems sensible.

From this site

1. Rich says:

Getting quite excited about this. Not excited enough to break my no pre-order rule, but definitely more excited than I’ve been about any Total War.

• SaintAn says:

Don’t be excited. There’s quite a lot to be disappointed about that we’ve learned from the last week of gameplay we’ve been shown. Sieges are crappy crap, the cities are reskins with the exact layouts, the city upgrades just improve the power of turrets, it’s easy to get over walls since there are ladders, the AI is dumb, the Dwarf cities are reskins of the other cities and nothing like they are in Warhammer, and a bunch of other problems. TW Reddit has spotted a lot of disappointments.

2. photoheathen says:

This is looking quite good. Not sure what setting Old Boy is running on here but I’m particularly pleased with how fluid the UI is working. Clearly Creative Assembly has more talented UI programmers/designers on staff than they’ve had in recent years.

3. DarkFenix says:

CA have been very confident in showing off actual gameplay rather than trickery-filled trailers (I’m never forgiving them for that incredibly dishonest Rome 2 ‘gameplay’ trailer). Always a good sign when a developer does that, as a result I’m actually quite hyped about Warhammer.

Still, once burned twice shy, anything CA develop comes under ‘try before you buy’ for me now, won’t touch it with a bargepole until I’m one hundred percent certain it’s good.

4. xfrog says:

I agree with the previous comments.
    I will not buy anything from CA again after the dishonest — and expensive — Rome 2 game.
    Unless I can try it and like it VERY much.

5. xyzzy frobozz says:

Total Ear is pretty much on its last chance with Warhammer.

It’s become an incredibly stale series. If Warhammer can’t shake things up, nothing can.

I keep saying – whoever puts Total War battles into a Paradox Development game (Victoria, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron) is going to make a lot of money.

A lot of money.

6. kud13 says:

This is looking VERY nice.

Still, as encouraging as the outpour of gameplay footage is, Total War is a series that can hide huge flaws at various points.

So it’s on my “to purchase” list (and if the buzz is good I may not even wait for a sale), but I’d like people to play through it pretty throughly, confirming the AI doesn’t go broken 3/4 of the game through.

Plus, i’d like to be able to grab it with all the inevitable extra races DLC already out in one package.

I’ve recently decided to set a rule to combat backlog: for every 5 games I clear off it, I allow myself one new game purchase. That should work nicely.