Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture PC Confirmed, Coming Soon

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture [official site], the latest from Dear Esther and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs developers The Chinese Room, is finally heading to PC. I spoke to studio head Dan Pinchbeck earlier this week and he told me that the completed PC port has now been delivered to Sony, who will be acting as publishers. Sony’s role means they’ll be responsible for selecting a release date and marketing the game, as they did with Helldivers when it came to PC late last year.

But it’s coming. The rapture is coming.

If you’ve been cowering in a custom-built survivalist shelter for the last year and a bit, preparing for the actual rapture or an outbreak of the Cloverfields, you might not be aware of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. It’s a game about exploring a picture-perfect English village – going to the pub, popping into the church, that sort of thing – while trying to work out where everybody has gone. Clue’s in the title, of course, but by picking through the tales of the people who have vanished (and that appears to be everybody) you’ll be able to piece together the events that led up to this particular variant of the rapture. In both tone and play, it’s a spiritual successor to Dear Esther – contemplative, sad, strange, handsome.

I loved the Dear Esther mod back in the day but didn’t particularly get along with the standalone version. Maybe that’s because I felt I’d seen it all before. I adored A Machine for Pigs though. I think it’s probably fair to call that game divisive and, if that’s the case, I was so far on the positive side that I couldn’t even see the divide, which I’m now picturing as some kind of yawning chasm. Not having played Rapture yet, I don’t know whether it’ll live up to my expectations but those expectations have shifted wildly – when the game was first announced, and I thought it might be a first-person mystery adventure, I expected it to be one of my favourite things.

Post PS4 release its workings are known and, from what I understand, it’s more about observation than deduction. While that still appeals, I’ve given up my seat on the hype train and am approaching on foot, ready to judge the Rapture for what it is rather than what I hoped it might be. Very healthy that.

“There was no technical reason it couldn’t be done,” Pinchbeck says of the PC port. “In fact, we were more concerned about launching on PS4. Rapture is such a PC game that we’d find an audience on PS4. We didn’t know if a game like that could work on console.

“As for the PC version, we started work on it in September and submitted it recently. Sony will be handling the PC release, including management of the Steam page and whatever else there might be, so it should be released as soon as they’ve done testing and preparation.

It’s good to be back on PC. It’s where we started and it’ll be the home of our next game.”

Ah, yes. The next game. The Chinese Room are deep into development already and told me that they’ll be launching on PC. The game is quite a departure from their previous releases: it’s an isometric systems-driven adventure that began life as a tabletop RPG prototype. The name is Total Dark and we’ll have details of that for you, as well as thoughts from Pinchbeck on Rapture and walking simulators, right here at 3pm UK time.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Hilloh says:

This was one of the games that supposedly were leaked last year by SteamDB or something like that. Has anyone kept any score how those leaked have fared? I’m not interested in particular about Everybody’s Gone To the Rapture, but if other games have also actually become real, then maybe that Final Fantasy X/X-2 port is also real.

2. Penguin_Factory says:

Quite a few of the games on the leak have now been confirmed– I can’t remember which ones off the top of my head, but it’s a lot, which makes it seem as if the whole list might be legit.

3. deadlybydsgn says:

Sony at the marketing helm? They did a great job giving Helldivers a completely underwhelming PC launch.

• DanMan says:

Yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised, if they don’t patch it, if anything turns out to be broken/bad/not PC-like.

4. GWOP says:

I love how “console exclusive” now means “just not available on the other major console.”

5. Tinotoin says:

I just know I’ll buy this again – mainly to re-play it with a much improved framerate. Even with the hampered framerate on PS4 it was a stunningly beautiful game.

Thirith says:

I would love to play this in virtual reality, since Chinese Room is fantastic at creating a great sense of a real place, added to which the slow pace would probably help with the issue of motion sickness.

7. Urthman says:

I hope they sold a lot on PS4, because I don’t think they’re going to get nearly as much excitement on PC now that it’s been out for so long and there already seems to be a consensus that the game was pretty underwhelming.

Thirith says:

The superlatives thrown in its direction didn’t help with people’s reception of Rapture, I’d say, but there’s a lot to like there – provided you know what you’re letting yourself in for and are okay with that. I’d absolutely recommend the game… for a very small niche of players.

• Matt_W says:

“Underwhelming” is not exactly the terminology I’d use. I think many reviewers (and players) were put off by the movement speed, which is slow for pacing reasons, but the game probably should have been tweaked to allow for it to be a bit faster.

It also has suffered from what people’s perceptions of interactive media should be. This is an interactive visual story. There’s no real player agency beyond what to explore and what order to experience the narrative in. It’s up to you, I suppose, whether you consider that a ‘game’, but when you consider it as what it is, it is anything but underwhelming. The writing, voice acting, visuals, sense of place, emotional content, detail, and story are tremendous — among the best in any interactive media. And I’m a broken record here, but the soundtrack is quite simply the best video game soundtrack ever written. It rivals the best movie soundtracks.

8. oueddy says:

A stunningly beautiful game that desperately needed a run button and someone to work on the treacle-slow pacing of the story. Found myself dozing off playing as much as I wanted to enjoy it.

• welverin says:

It had a run button, it just needs to make you actually run.

9. Matt_W says:

Fantastic news! This was absolutely a game that should’ve gotten more exposure and was squashed under Sony’s ‘gentle’ care. Rapture was my favorite game of 2015, and months after finishing it I still think about it all the time and listen to the soundtrack on a daily basis.

10. Freud says:

It’s so so pretty. I wish they would have made a proper game in the environment instead of a snail paced walking simulator where you get guided towards audio logs by flying lights.

11. DanMan says:

I played Where In The World Is Ethan Carter: The Game, and this is supposedly similar, right? I can’t say I’m all that excited for another game like that.

• FMV-GAMER says:

Yes I couldn’t get into The Vanishing of Ethan Carter either to be honest. I have bought two of these so called walking simulator games before based on the high praise they received yet I found them both pretty dull. One was Gone Home and the other which I can’t remember the name of had you walking around an island?.