The Foxer

Last week’s foxer was as cunning as they come. Despite the best efforts of collage inspectors like phuzz, Gap Gen, phlebas, unacom, Aphrion, and Stugle, it’s still out there slaughtering chickens, de-bagging scarecrows, and joyriding combine harvesters. Will somebody please catch it before it discovers the joys of hayrick arson and pig graffiti.

* * * * *

Roman is not a happy Harold E. Comstock. Just back from a ‘Marvels of Modern Engineering’ world tour, he’s discovered that many of the photos he took while away are completely worthless. The prize pillock failed to read the manual for his new selfie stick and, on numerous occasions, ended up snapping the scenery in front of him rather than the marvel behind! Identify the out-of-shot late 20th and early 21st Century landmarks ‘in’ the following ten pics to win Flare Path flair points made from chrome, concrete, and chagrin.

From this site

1. unacom says:

[Hollers] Do we have an experienced tourist aboard?

2. unacom says:

F – might be the marina bay street circuit in singapore

3. Rorschach617 says:

On a hunch –

Could A be Akrotiri, as in RAF Akrotiri?

• unacom says:

Yes, if my greek is right.

• phlebas says:

That’s what the sign says – but the location looks to be “Akrotiri club restaurant” on the outskirts of Athens, rather than Akrotiri itself. I’m not sure what the engineering marvel is though – maybe a nearby stadium?

• unacom says:

or an olympic stadium complex maybe.

• Rorschach617 says:

There is a yacht club nearby, but if my guess is right, Roman’s back would be to an airport, some olympic buildings and the Hellenic Meteorological centre.

Search Notos Bay, Greece on Google Maps to see what I am looking at.

• Stugle says:

The signs for the Akrotiri night club at Notos Bay all seem to be white with black lettering, while the Foxer image shows a black sign with white lettering. Also, the new-ish building in the Foxer image doesn’t seem to mesh with the grubby industrial park vibe outside of Notos Bay.

That said, I can’t even find any streetview images near RAF Akrotiri (well, a couple of photo spheres of beaches and ruins), so I can’t tie it to that either.

Lots of word for no real help. I’m in my element.

• Rorschach617 says:

But if you look east of Notos Bay, you have the old Airport and a cluster of Olympic buildings, including the White Water track, 2 hockey pitches and a baseball field.

• Stugle says:

True, and a truly depressing sight to see how run-down everything is. Still, I’m looking for that blasted sign and I’m not having any luck. I’ve investigated another Akrotiri bar in Corfu, I’ve looked at the island of Santorini, which has ruins of Akroteri, I’ve looked at a former village on Crete that’s known as Akroteri and now part of Chandia – no luck with anything. So your guess is as good (or better) than mine. :) I just won’t be happy until I spot that moped in the picture.

• phlebas says:

There are some photospheres inside the club-restaurant with white on black lettering, and the typeface matches the white-on-black sign on the gate too. But still no sign of the moped!

• Stugle says:

I think you’re right that it’s that Akrotiri club – both the white-on-black Foxer sign and the black-on-white sign on Street View outside the gate has ‘bar – restaurant’ written underneath the Greek name, so it matches up. Now what could be the modern marvel of engineering that is nearby? The rotting Olympic fixtures?

phuzz says:

From the sign on the side of the DUKW H is in Tokyo.

phuzz says:

Here it is, at 1-17-6 Narihira Sumida-ku Tokyo. The area seems to be known as Tokyo SkyTree.

phuzz says:

I’m assuming the landmark in question is the bloody great tower called the Skytree.

• unacom says:

D -reminds me of the gorges du tarn. But I cannot place it and the vegetation looks only roughly right.

• unacom says:

oops.

• Stugle says:

You’re right, though – instead of taking a picture of the Millau Viaduct, Roman is looking roughly to the east on the older, smaller bridge spanning the Tarn just east from the viaduct.

5. Stugle says:

I’m investigating E – I think it’s outside the Burj Khalifa, but I can’t find the right spot.

phuzz says:

Stugle and Iglethal are both right, E is next to the Burj Khalifa, and the picture is take from somewhere near here.

Can we start to assume we’re looking for towers?

6. lglethal says:

I’m far from certain but is E Dubai? That would then probably be the Burj Khalifa out of picture. Maybe. ;)

7. Rorschach617 says:

G.

The road sign might be saying “Salida ??”, which would put it in Spain or another spanish-speaking country.

• Stugle says:

I see a big rocky outcropping in the picture – I’m wondering if it’s a reference to Gibraltar, but the picture doesn’t appear to have been taken in Gibraltar itself (the street signs are in English). The only other rocky/high place that quickly came to my mind was the Alcazar in Toledo, but a quick look at the map shows I’m wrong about that, too.

• Rorschach617 says:

Don’t think it has to be a high place.

It has the overall look of a roundabout next to a motorway, so it could be underneath ground level, specially if it is linking the motorway to a tunnel.

8. Stugle says:

The Eastern Orthodox church is driving me nuts. Can’t even begin to think about the sullen dude on the bench… This Foxer is seriously kicking me in the posterior. Where is AFK[mumblemumble] when you nee him?!?

9. SpiceTheCat says:

I is looking away from the Channel Tunnel terminal at Les Coquelles.

Which sounds terribly ungrammatical.

phuzz says:

Huh, my half-hour of looking at railways near power stations was a complete waste of time then :(

• phlebas says:

I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.

10. SpiceTheCat says:

G is the Itaipu dam, on the border between Brazil and Paraguay.

I had no idea there was such a place, but an image search for “Spain dam power lines” pointed me in the right direction. Amazingly. Looks cool.

• SpiceTheCat says:

Darn, meant to be a reply to Rorschach617, to give due credit for the steer :)

• Stugle says:

I would never have guessed or even have known to look there. Bravo!

• Rorschach617 says:

Nice one! I had a little look at some tunnels in Spain, didn’t think of looking in South America, did not give the power lines due consideration :)

11. SpiceTheCat says:

So we’re left with enigmatic bus picture B, yet-to-be identified Orthodox church C, and sullen dude on bench J.

I wondered if J was at the Eden Project, but the road looks wrong.

phuzz says:

Lets have a thread for each of the clues that’s left.
    B
    The bus is articulated, and it looks like they’re driving on the right. That’s all I can work out.

• Stugle says:

The advertising on the bus looks like latin script – I was searching for yellow and red buses and found out there are some in Taipei, but the picture definitely does not match with the area around Taipei 101.

• phlebas says:

I haven’t found the exact livery, but Mexico City has some very similar looking ones – maybe the Museo Soumaya?

phuzz says:

C A church(?), probably an Orthodox church which might narrow it down a bit?

• Rorschach617 says:

It’s pink. New Delhi?

• Stugle says:

I don’t think it’s in India – the onion dome seems pretty particular to eastern Europe/Russia.

• Stugle says:

If you look at Kazan Cathedral on Red Square in Moscow, you’ll see that the style is similar (yet, sadly, not the same – yes, this church is still bugging me).

phuzz says:

J The design of the bench and the bin might narrow it down, but a friend of mine has pointed out an important clue; none of the faces are blurred, so it’s probably not a Streetview from the UK.
    Stones underfoot look like granite or similar.

phuzz says:

Right, this is just a guess, but could the bench that our morose friend is sat on be the one in the centre of this view? And could he be looking at the Falkirk Wheel? It’s definitely a marvel of engineering.

• phlebas says:

Good grief, I think that’s it. Well done!

• Stugle says:

It is indeed! Look for the David Rankin photosphere (it’s the one to the north of the orange sphere).