Have You Played… Plug & Play?

Plug & Play [ official site] feels a little like Don Hertzfeldt made a game. In reality it’s by a similarly talented animator, Michael Frei. Through a series of vignettes, you click, prod, drag and swing physics objects in a hand-drawn world of strange, naked meatmen with plugs and sockets for heads.

It’s scatalogical and funny and has no words and will taken you 15 minutes to finish, but it really is about the art. Everything in the game looks hand-drawn, suggesting it couldn’t possibly be interactive but in the most basic of ways, but actually much of the world is physically simulated.

To give an example, one scene sees two hands approaching one another, their index fingers extended. You can coil the finger, slide the wrist, and must do so in order to make the two fingers touch. It’s simple, but pleasing, and neatly wound around a central conceit. It’s tactile to play with – and often gross. I like it.

From this site

1. C.J.Geringer says:

Played it.

found it very boring. Would appreciate a longer article to better understand what you found of worth in it

• Beefenstein says:

1) Why did you find it boring? It will be hard to convince you unless it’s clear what the problem is. Perhaps you don’t like animation. Perhaps you aren’t interested in metaphor. It might be that you could not empathise with the characters. The simplest possibility: you have no time for surrealism.

2) These articles are done every day. That explains why they’re short to me. Does it do so for you?

3) I didn’t find it boring. I don’t see how it’s possible to explain why it isn’t boring in a way which doesn’t reduce the game to a form of dry criticism which will actively turn people off trying it.

4) So try it! I have, and I’ve got my brother and a friend to as well. It took ~15 mins each time. All of us reacted to it on various levels and found it a good expenditure of our life.

• YogSo says:

Here’s John’s slightly longer Wot I think, maybe it’ll help you to better understand their take on P&P.

2. Hypocee says:

If only there were a longer article already prepared for you and filed neatly in the game’s tag against just such an occasion.

gritz says:

Has no words?

particlese says:

Nope, I haven’t yet, but it’s been long enough since I watched the short that I’ll have forgotten how most of the things happen, so thanks for the reminder! (Though I still remember a few things that did happen. o_o :D etc.)