Deal Me In: Hand Of Fate 2 Announced

A sequel to deck-building action-RPG Hand of Fate [official site] is in the works, creators Defiant Development have announced, coming our way next year under the snappy name Hand of Fate 2. Adam and Alec were both quite taken with the original, or at least determined to beat the dastardly dealer who turned their decks of items and encounters into an adventure to battle through in hack ‘n’ slash combat. I’m sure they’ll be delighted to hear the git’s back.

Yes, he has somehow returned, this time to help a new heroine defeat the first game’s protagonist after the power went a bit to his head.

Hand of Fate 2 has same build-o-fight foundation, then will throw in plenty of new things. Expect companion characters who can help in both table and fighty sections, new enemy types with the new Steel and Blight suits, and new two-handed and dual-wielding weapons.

HoF 2 is addressing the original’s repetitiveness too. Today’s announcement explains:

“Claiming victory in Hand of Fate 2 will now be more complex than reaching the end of a deck; players will have to conquer specific feats like surviving a 10-level descent or saving up 300 gold before advancing beyond a dungeon. Objectives in combat will also now vary beyond defeating all foes, such as defending a goblin from endless waves of soldiers for 60 seconds.”

Hand of Fate 2 is due on Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2017, by the end of March. The original went through Kickstarter then Steam Early Access, but there’s no mention of either for HoF 2 so far. Maybe it’ll simply be released – what a novelty! Here’s a wee teaser trailer with the dealer, who’s looking a bit grizzled after events of the first game.

Don’t stare.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Aerothorn says:

I loved Hand of Fate, but got stuck on the final boss and sort of ground down. Need to get back and finish it!

caff says:

Me too, that bloomin’ Rat King. Getting there with all the debuffs was hard enough, let alone actually having to face him and his many minions. However I really enjoyed dipping back in and playing Endless Mode – it seemed like such a perfectly novel card gaming experience. The sort of card game that I would have played for years as a kid if it had existed back then.

• Aerothorn says:

I made it past the Rat King – just got stuck at the *final* boss.

caff says:

Oh no! You mean I missed even more than I thought I had!? I had better reinstall. “Back so soon?”

caff says:

This was always on the cards.

• Troubletcat says:

Yeah. The devs would’ve had to be dealt a pretty raw hand to not be able to afford a sequel.

3. mouton says:

I would be interested, but they really need to make the combat more interesting and less grindy. It was all very samey and many encounters, while not unwinnable, were a slog of slowly chipping away at a horde of enemies while madly rolling around. Bonus points for having your shield destroyed – you couldn’t even see their attack indicators.

4. fearandloathing says:

Just add mods into the deck

5. RedViv says:

Hand of Fate is my favourite short session game of the last year, and a few beyond. This announcement reads like a checklist of features I wanted to see in a sequel, so it’s doubly grand.

6. wu wei says:

I backed the original KS at least in part to support a Brisbane-based indie group, so it’s great to see they did well enough to work on a sequel.

7. Riaktion says:

This is fantastic news, congrats to them on the success of the original, already looking forward to the now announced sequel!

8. Mr Coot says:

Nice idea would like to play more of it but will wait til I get a controller. Annoying to play with just keyboard. Also, seems like they coordinate and sanitize their Steam reviews. Negative reviews even mildly negative ones, get targetted with suspiciously the same number of downvotes.

9. Lintire says:

Those are some of the worst ideas I’ve heard all month for new level types.

Escort missions and grinding. What fucking fun.